Hot season coming

superal

Can you tolerate the forthcoming hot weather starting around March ? The majority of farangs I speak to up here in the north east find it too hot and try to get their activities done early in the day so as to avoid the 40 c temperatures . The more financially well off folks either run to a coastal area or migrate to other lands for a few months . There are some who enjoy the heat and it does not bother them , they hardly sweat where as I am soaked .

What happened to the Thai cool season ? a few chilly mornings but mid day always in the 30 c plus .

Last year there were droughts in many areas and some reservoirs were emptied from a full state and today are already low .  The PM says he will address the problem but how  ? To the long stayers in Thailand , have you experienced this dilemma before ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

The PM says he will address the problem but how

He also said there wouldn't be a coup  then made one   and that elections where coming soon...for years on end ????

1 hour ago, superal said:

they hardly sweat where as I am soaked .

Are you maybe a bit overweight ?  or  use too much aircon..try setting it to 27 or 28 degrees  to allow your body to get used to higher temps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Great weather here in Phuket but I think we need some rain soon

Did you come up with that idea all by yourself, or have you been reading in the news that all Thailand needs more water? Anyway, good to hear that you already realize the situation in Phuket. 

In the N/E its really hot for 4-5 months many days =40C just have to deal with it.yes,get everything you do outside done before 10am................i tend to go out shopping in robinsons 2-4pm the hottest part of the day,close the house up.Come back and switch on A/C for  while....only good thing up here the air is usually dry,not humid and by july the rains come.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thasoss said:

In the N/E its really hot for 4-5 months many days =40C

Kindly share where in the NE you are?

I live in the NE and it was 16c when I got up this morning, the past three months have been very pleasant with a max high of 34c and very little humidity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The temps in Thailand during the hot season are NOT that hot, It's the humidity that does the damage.  The max temps here rarely reach the temps in Sydney during the summer months there. They range between 35*c - 45*c, and those temps are not too hot to play golf in, so for me at least I am yet to experience what I consider to be a hot day here in Thailand, but get the humidity up to a high level and that is punishing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

They range between 35*c - 45*c, and those temps are not too hot to play golf in

Not too hot !!!!  those temps are scorching...30 degrees with 99% humidity is more than hot enough for me :wacko:

P_20191004_072100.thumb.jpg.21c468392083f0da56e1d1b619f18d86.jpg

17 minutes ago, thasoss said:

Replying to CGW, sorry I didn't mention the months. I was referring to March through to July. 

Agree with that, April & May can be brutal, then once the rains come the temperatures cool down but the humidity rises and it feels even hotter, not unusual for me to go through 4 or 5 shirts a day ????

Anything above body temperature for me makes it "uncomfortable" to be polite! AC and a well insulated house are a must have once the "summer" arrives.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Beggar said:

99 % humidity?! Is this display correct? 

Actually humidity can go over 100%, as I found out in the Nepalese jungle some years ago...

Nothing so extreme here but, yes, humidity is what makes the heat difficult to bear, especially at night when it keeps the air very warm.

I bought one of those foldable pool (not an inflatable model which never lasts), which I fill up with cold water in the early morning.

The water is warmed by the sun and is near perfect when the heat becomes too much to bear, perfect to cool down during the afternoon.

In the evening, I give the water to the grass and plants around.

The problem is that, this year, with the probable coming drought, I am not sure I will be able to use the pool, or even to shower for that matter...

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Some also insulate the homes they build, like myself so as not to feel the heat outside at all, not even having to use the air conditioner till just before bedtime for about 15 minutes.

As for going out during the day, rarely after 8am, i.e. drop the kids to school at 7.45am, Tesco/Lotus shopping at 8am and home by 9am, if doing one of the big cities about an hours drive, it's a/c all the way in the car and straight into the underground car park and into the shopping centre.

The heat doesn't concern me as I can manage it as mentioned above, my biggest concern is the air quality as south-east Asia loves to burn their fields and garbage as they just don't have the education or lack awareness of the dangers and damage that they are causing to themselves, others, and to the environment, but so far I am maintaining it indoors with the assistance of apps, detectors and an air purifier, if ever outside and it's above a moderate level, it's the N95 mask, but I am a prisoner in my big house, no complaints, lots to do and plenty of room to do it in.

The above said, I am giving this new trial of mine till the end of the year which will make it 5 years retired in Thailand and will see whether it's at an acceptable level for us to stay as we manage it, or whether we all go back to greener air, not greener pastures as the old term would suggest, greener air, i.e. cleaner air. 

Bl00dy H€ll, your moniker was well chosen!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, superal said:

There are some who enjoy the heat and it does not bother them , they hardly sweat where as I am soaked .

What happened to the Thai cool season ? a few chilly mornings but mid day always in the 30 c plus .

I love the heat and sweat profusely, it is good for the body, as long as you do not worry about being wet all day.

But have to agree about the cool season,. Moved up here after living on  Samui and wondered if the cold would be too much, but this year is as you describe, hot and dry after the cooler mornings. And there is no beach to swim in when it is 30+C

• Thanks 1

Iv'e been here about 20 years and used to live in the Bangkok area. Five years ago moved up country further north, built a new house and made a 4m x 2m square water tank (barely a swimming pool) put a sun screen over the whole thing and now when feeling the heat it's nice just to sit in the cool water and have a cold drink. The good thing about the hot season is that you've got the rainy season to look forward to.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CGW said:

Virtually every year & I have been here over 30 years! & every year some ting tong Falang will want to "Ban Songkran" :shock1:

Sad thing is they actually think it will make a difference! :wink:

Some newbies think history began when they arrived.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, userabcd said:

In Bangkok there is no cool season this year, temperatures are already high at over 30 degrees during the day. Dreading the coming hot season. Last year really suffered with the heat.

I previously lived in Bangkok for 8 years then moved to Pattaya for 15 years, there never used to be a "cool season", don't know when that started, sure there were a few days when it wasn't steaming hot, but there was never a cool season.

17 hours ago, CGW said:

Falang will want to "Ban Songkran" :shock1:

Don’t need to ban it .... letting the folks in village we live .. it’s approximately 4 days not 10 would work if they’d adhere. 

There’s no requirement that you must have a beer everyday before 08:00.

Your quite welcome to contribute towards beer and food no one will have any issues over it..

Last and Sadly the little travel home money as in prior years has been discontinued...   May be reinstated if the Money tree/trees are

located.

little bit joking and some is what it is... glad I live on the outskirts of the village....

Eventually the heat/humidity will drive me to more temperate climates. If you live here long enough you know what the Thai's know- Thailand is just too hot. Yes I can go out before 10 and after 4 pretty much every day of the year, but the enforced homestay between 10 and 4 is getting restrictive now I am not focused on computer screens. Need to be out and about.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CGW said:

Agree with that, April & May can be brutal, then once the rains come the temperatures cool down but the humidity rises and it feels even hotter, not unusual for me to go through 4 or 5 shirts a day ????

Anything above body temperature for me makes it "uncomfortable" to be polite! AC and a well insulated house are a must have once the "summer" arrives.

April & May , so hot even the local Thais are suffering but they still continue to eat spicy hot food which makes them even hotter .  My ladies house is like an oven and never seems to cool down . The suspended ceilings are those polystyrene tiles . Have looked in the unvented loft and there are many ceiling suspension wires which would make insulation a pain to install , unless you know better . I wonder if there are farangs who live here without ant air con ?