Why are they so concerned with plastic bags but couldn't care less about pollution levels?

WineOh

They tried these solar powered misters, not working when I saw them.   Who made money  on these?  How many dud they produce?  Stupid non battery design.  I cant imagine this solar panel and this pump could produce  most?  and they have those filter  units.  Haven't read any updates to those high power cosumptuon HEPA filter units.    I downloaded the motor specs so I could do some calculations on later.  

20200102_155027.jpg

20200102_155054.jpg

20200102_155100.jpg

I thought it was funny how dirty these small solar panels  were.   And 2 meter head rating  on ws that looked like almost 2x that.  Lets assume full 2 liters per minute with a 200 liter barrel.  Is this the thai mind? 

A plastic bag ban saves money for CP by reducing consumables costs in 7-11 and creating a new sales opportunity for cotton bags.  Real environmental controls would cost money for big business.

Banning importation of other countries plastic waste would also hit big Thai businesses.  So Government strategies are determined by the interests of their friends.

Same the world over, unfortunately, so the environment is never going to really improve.

Edited by Kinnock
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Aspaltso said:

The answer to your question lies in the fact that Thailand is only interested in doing things if there is a "Public Relations" angle behind it. ........

I guess there is no Public Relations angle behind people dying of lung cancer and others choking and gagging in the streets, gasping for air.  

I guess I'm just wasting my breath here.....   and God knows I need to save it for "burning season"

• Thanks 1

I absolutely agree about the need to tackle - I'd argue prioritise - air pollution in LOS. Plastic may harm a lot of sea life, but toxic air kills between seven and eight million people a year worldwide - and the LOS death rate has risen nearly 20,000 in the past 20 years.

Traditionally, people flock to the seaside for "fresh air". Don't try that in Cha Am. The air quality is dreadful and has been for weeks, though exactly why is not clear. Local rubbish and rice field burning. . . pollution drifting from coastal factories between here and Bangkok?

Right now, the air quality index reading is an unhealthy 175, with a PM2.5 count nearly four times the WHO recommended safety limit of 25  µg/m³. Thailand has settled on a PM2.5 limit at 50 µg/m³, which speaks volumes for the cavalier official attitude to public health! 

These stats, pretty routine recently,  make our little seaside resort among the top ten most polluted places on the Air/Visual global list.

Their recommendation with air quality at its present dismal level is to stay inside with windows and doors shut and use an air purifier (which I do and can recommend). If you must go out, to wear a good quality anti-pollution mask and avoid exercise.

Maybe we locals should start warning existing and potential visitors about the reality of Cha Am's "refreshing sea breezes". One suspects that only when tourist numbers start to fall will somebody in authority get off their fat backside and actually do something.  

There's an excellent guide to air pollution generally, and the situation in Thailand in particular, here:

https://www.thethailandlife.com/air-pollution-thailand

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

making people buy bags instead = profit

I'm not sure about that. Not having a bag handy and having to pay for one deters a lot of people from making a large purchase or even entering the store in the first place. It's gotta be a money loser, but the government has no choice as it is concerned about its image abroad and the threat of boycotts for not doing their part to help the environment.

Edited by searcher22
  • Thanks 1

It's simply ridicules how many people are complaining about the missing plastic bags here. I wonder if all of you are aware that everyone is already eating microplastic on a daily basis equal to a whole credit card per month! Go on complaining and wait for the effect of microplastic in your body...then for sure you will understand....but too late.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

why did the US president withdraw from the climate accord and roll back many efforts to improve or preserve the environment?

While Australia is burning to a cinder why does the PM refuse to consider any connection between climate and their massive coal industry?

Oddly, in both cases, politics and corporate profit seem to win the day.

On 1/9/2020 at 8:16 AM, darksidedog said:

generate howls of protest, both of which this government seems keen to avoid.

Therein lies the biggest problem as i see it, they fear the "masses" revolting! :shock1:

The "masses" are not happy with the present "government" it wouldn't take much to push them over the edge, something they recognise!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 2:24 AM, neeray said:

This is an excellent thread idea. Thank you for starting it.

This will end up in Thai bashing again. 

Everybody of us know where we live and that it is useless to compare Thailand with Western countries. 

• Like 1