Sprayed with mosquito (?) repellant - no extra charge for inhaling it.

JimmyJ

Walking along a narrow Soi I heard a very noisy vehicle behind me.

Turning around, I saw it was painted red, had a revolving light over the cab, looked roughly similar to a songtaew, and had a few guys on the uncovered rear.

I then saw it let loose a spray and at first thought CM is spraying water in the air to "combat" the dangerous air here.

It then let loose some more blasts and the smell of insect repellant followed.

No warning. Bathing all sitting in the open restaurants and coffee shops, pedestrians, infants in strollers, etc.

Thank you, Chiang Mai.

Perhaps the insect spray will get the residents before the PM 2.5 air.

Well thought out, with safety paramount.

• Like 1

They come around my village a couple of times a year...smells like kerosene.  I wont let them in the gate as I have fish and frog ponds.  Some people actually invite them in to spray inside their houses??  The thing that surprises me is that they never spray in the khlong behind me nor any of the wet swampy areas in town where most mosquitoes gather? 

28 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Harmless for humans?

No, not harmless for humans. Most insecticides work by inhibiting the cholonesterase that carries messages across the synapses in your nervous system. If it kills insects, it will kill you too. Same function, it's just a question of doses and scale. Most insecticides are cumulative within the human body too. Spray too much Doom in  your house and you will start feeling quite poorly quite quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

It works perfect where I'm staying. The condominium management puts up notes next to the elevators about date and time for the spraying. 

That is a sane way to do it.

Driving slowly down narrow sois and blasting everyone in sight, enveloping all in a poisonous mist, is not a sane way to do it.

Edited by JimmyJ

10 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

That is a sane way to do it.

Driving slowly down narrow sois and blasting everyone in sight, enveloping all in a poisonous mist, is not a sane way to do it.

Not to mention when they're spraying the sugarcane fields with pesticide tanks on their backs and using the cheapest white face masks bought in the nearest pharmacy which is made for quite big particles. 

• Like 1

Most Thai people have zero knowledge that mosquito spray is also poisonous to human. 

There is a Thai eatery in Chiang Mai called Teng Neung who even supply mosquito spray to customers while eating. Some of the chemicals would drop onto the plates of other customers.

The smell was nauseating to me as I am sensitive to any poisonous chemicals.

55 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Sprayed outside of my condo block a couple of weeks ago. I’ve never had dengue fever, but from descriptions of people who have, I’d vastly prefer inhaling a tiny amount of insecticide occasionally.

Dengue fever has a reason and doesn't depend so much on the amount of mosquitoes. I got Dengue in the middle of Pattaya and I am very careful. This daytime mosquito just needs to be infected by an other PERSON bringing Dengue next to you. And if it takes the next blood meal at your body you might get Dengue. So if you really want to get rid of Dengue eliminate all persons carrying Dengue to your area. The mosquitoes are not really guilty ????

I used to do the beach house in Malaysia. The old ones are like a pusle jet engine that runs on kerosene as has been said mixed with insecticide. A bitch to get them started. 

Edited by VocalNeal

25 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Dengue fever has a reason and doesn't depend so much on the amount of mosquitoes. I got Dengue in the middle of Pattaya and I am very careful. This daytime mosquito just needs to be infected by an other PERSON bringing Dengue next to you. And if it takes the next blood meal at your body you might get Dengue. So if you really want to get rid of Dengue eliminate all persons carrying Dengue to your area. The mosquitoes are not really guilty ????

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you have never seen the inside of a statistics textbook, know what a Venn Diagram is, or attended any lecture on Logic.  Let me give you a hint ... imagine two villages ... one with no mosquitoes, and one with clouds of them.  Each village is visited by a person infected with Dengue. 

OK, you go ahead and give that some thought. 

7 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you have never seen the inside of a statistics textbook, know what a Venn Diagram is, or attended any lecture on Logic.  Let me give you a hint ... imagine two villages ... one with no mosquitoes, and one with clouds of them.  Each village is visited by a person infected with Dengue. 

OK, you go ahead and give that some thought. 

The problem is not the mosquitoes but the infected person visiting such areas. It is the same with pretty much all of such diseases = flu, measles - whatever. People transport such diseases from one area to a not infected area very quickly. Mosquitoes don't fly long distances. They can't do this. They normally stick to the area where they have been born. Of course you can kill all mosquitoes and hope the best. But perhaps it would be more successful to eliminate the real source of the problem - put people into quarantine who are the source. 

4 hours ago, Beggar said:

The problem is not the mosquitoes but the infected person visiting such areas. It is the same with pretty much all of such diseases = flu, measles - whatever. People transport such diseases from one area to a not infected area very quickly. Mosquitoes don't fly long distances. They can't do this. They normally stick to the area where they have been born. Of course you can kill all mosquitoes and hope the best. But perhaps it would be more successful to eliminate the real source of the problem - put people into quarantine who are the source. 

OMG.  What can I say?  OK, i can't say, because the moderators will delete the post.  Let's just say your reply is "amazing" 

1 hour ago, bangkokequity said:

OMG.  What can I say?  OK, i can't say, because the moderators will delete the post.  Let's just say your reply is "amazing" 

Why should the moderators delete your post? I respect your opinion and you should respect mine. Nothing special - just different opinions. 

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

Why should the moderators delete your post? I respect your opinion and you should respect mine. Nothing special - just different opinions. 

OK .. listen.  Your thesis is that the solution to a disease is to simply quarantine all the people who have it.  Does that sound just a wee bit stupid to you?  Because it does to me!  Since that is IMPOSSIBLE, and the methodology of transmission is via mosquitoes, then some people (all people except you???) would see a relationship between insect control and disease transmission.

I said ... if there were two villages, and each were visited by a person with Dengue ... and one village had ZERO Mosquitoes , and the other had clouds of them .. and then I left it up to you to "fill in the (obvious?) blank" ... In ... the village with Mosquitoes has a great chance of a dengue fever outbreak, and the other ... just about zero chance.

And here is where you went.

The fact I need to spell this out is literally mind boggling, but I am patting myself on the back for not using certain words to describe your intellectual capacity or ability to predict simple outcomes.

7 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

OK .. listen.  Your thesis is that the solution to a disease is to simply quarantine all the people who have it.  Does that sound just a wee bit stupid to you?  Because it does to me!  Since that is IMPOSSIBLE, and the methodology of transmission is via mosquitoes, then some people (all people except you???) would see a relationship between insect control and disease transmission.

I said ... if there were two villages, and each were visited by a person with Dengue ... and one village had ZERO Mosquitoes , and the other had clouds of them .. and then I left it up to you to "fill in the (obvious?) blank" ... In ... the village with Mosquitoes has a great chance of a dengue fever outbreak, and the other ... just about zero chance.

And here is where you went.

The fact I need to spell this out is literally mind boggling, but I am patting myself on the back for not using certain words to describe your intellectual capacity or ability to predict simple outcomes.

Let's take your person and a city like Pattaya. The person with Dengue goes from one area to other areas here in Pattaya and so spreads Dengue around the whole town. If he stays at home he will not be able to do this. But your idea to fight against the problem is to get rid of all mosquitoes in the whole area of Pattaya - completely impossible. 

49 minutes ago, Beggar said:

But your idea to fight against the problem is to get rid of all mosquitoes in the whole area of Pattaya - completely impossible. 

Yeh and getting rid of 85% of them would not reduce the problem. Good thinking, all or nothing!

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

Let's take your person and a city like Pattaya. The person with Dengue goes from one area to other areas here in Pattaya and so spreads Dengue around the whole town. If he stays at home he will not be able to do this. But your idea to fight against the problem is to get rid of all mosquitoes in the whole area of Pattaya - completely impossible. 

Dengue fever is NOT contagious.

1 hour ago, PGThompson1 said:

Dengue fever is NOT contagious.

It is. The vehicle from one person to an other are the mosquitoes. Every healthy mosquito who bites a person with Dengue will have now this virus inside his body and can transmit it to other people. This is how this virus works. 

Edited by Beggar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Beggar said:

I thought it was so obvious that quarantining a carrier of a disease was LITERALLY a "no brainer"  The PROBLEM is people get Dengue and don't know it for days, and some in the outset think they just have a "flu" and soldier on.   For the Love of Sweet Baby Jesus .. am I REALLY explaining this to you?????????????????????????? In that window of "transmission opportunity" ... the less carrier species of mosquitoes ... the BETTER!  YES??? (Please, so my head does not explode, just say "Yes, LESS disease carriers is good"

They come through the village twice a year. I close the house up

but neighbors leave front door open and let them spray inside.

Two times ago I walked across the street and took our Pom Pom.

one of the sprayers was taking a break surprisingly he spoke English...

Chatted a bit then he said your black dog I shot and killed

it was getting into his chickens... I said fair enough