Changing Extension From Based On Retirement To Based On Marriage

I recently renewed my visa extension.  I had been renewing based on marriage until 2 years ago.  I changed the reason for the extension to 'retirement' at the urging of an IO who said it would be simpler, quicker, and less paperwork for both myself and for them.  And it was simpler - until they changed the financial requirements which came into effect March 1, 2019.  Last year I renewed based on retirement prior to the March 1, 2019 effective date in order to get around the new financial requirements, but I then planned to switch back to an extension based on marriage this year - which I have done.

Interestingly, the IO had a conversation with my wife when I was out getting copies.  My wife said the IO wanted to know why I changed to retirement 2 years ago and why I wanted to change back.  Wife said the IO had to call a superior on the phone to get permission to allow me to change, as well as telling my wife that immigration didn't want people changing back and forth.  
It's probably good that I wasn't included in that conversation.  Anyway, in the car on the way back home the wife kept telling me that I couldn't change back: 
"Immigration no want you change back again....it big problem!!!", and I'm like, "Fine with me, why would I want to change back?" 

Other than taking an hour and a half to process the paperwork, the whole process was rather uneventful other than my wife relating her conversations with the IO which I had not been privy to hearing.  

Just a heads up for others who are planning to switch extensions based on 'retirement' back to 'marriage. 
I believe there are quite a few other married expats who are considering changing back for the same reason I did - we don't want to have to lock up 800K THB for 5 months and 400K THB for an entire year considering we support families.  But, I'm wondering if others are going to start experiencing push back from immigration when attempting to change?  Those doing so may want to have a Plan B and allow enough lead time to execute it if need be.  

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

After 14 years on retirement this year for the same reason as you ,apart from the extra paperwork ,no problems ,to be honest my wife is quite articulate ,she dealt with everything ,i just sat there and smiled ,except when immigration came to our house ,i sat with one of them outside most of the time as he had been to a town near where my wife and i used to live in the UK and we chatted about that.

I switched this time, last Tuesday at Jomtien, the female IO at counter 6 asked me why I was changing from Retirement and I simply said I didn't wish to lock up 800k, she got very snarly from that point onwards and made me go and fill in 2 TM7's by hand when I had 2 I had filled in on the computer, she also would no longer speak with me and only spoke to my wife, then palmed us off onto a more senior male IO, he was much easier to get along with.

The male IO spent a long time talking to someone on the phone and the wife tells me it was about his concern that I would withdraw the 400K from the bank and spend it, which of course I am entitled to do anyway, the long and short of it is we had our home visit from 3 IO's this morning and everything is hopefully on track.

I did say to the senior IO this morning that it was a massive pile of paper he had (about 20mm thick with the 3 lots piled on top of each other) and he gave me a bemused "Yeap"

The snarly female IO also told my wife that neither of us was allowed to go anywhere during the 30 day under consideration period, which is a load of garbage, I made the wife ask this morning during the visit if she was free to head up country and was told she could go anywhere she liked now that they had been.

Edited by Pungdo
  • Like 1

Had a slightly similar thing up here (Phetchabun). It looked like I needed to be out of the country during the under consideration period so, taking the advice from TVF asked about getting a 60 day extension to visit my wife and then change to the one year marriage extension after returning to Thailand. The IO told me that you can only change the reason from retirement (on the original visa) to another reason once.

As it turned out the IO cancelled my extension that day and started the under consideration period from that day so was able to get the marriage extension before leaving the country.

Think of your money in the bank earning interest as an emergency fund.

I would never consider marriage vs retirement due to the hassles my under 50 mate has with checking at their home etc.

If not prepared to invest 800,000 K into your chosen new semi adopted country maybe you shoud not be here

My impression is that all the above posts concern falang/thai marriages.

My case is different....falang/falang marriage.  We used to do the income thing, until it became too difficult (embassy letters etc.) then we deposited 800k each, and had separate retirement visas. Each time we renewed, we were asked, separate or marriage. Each time we replied separate, no problems. 

We realised, however, that actually we needed only one 800k, if we went for marriage. We did this for two years, and by chance avoided the catch 22 that 2x400 doesn't hack it...one needs 800k, the other needs 0k.

Last year, they made a mistake.. both extensions were marked as retirement. This year, that mistake was spotted. 2minutes hannah-hannah, stamp in the passport to change it, then renewal done without hassle...if you don't count an hour waiting in the queue.

Paperwork was minimal. Application forms, photos, passport copies, marriage cert notarised, yellow book, pink cards, bank letter, passbook copies.

All this, Jomtien one week ago.

2  years  ago Immigration officer at  Hua  Hin really  pushed me to change form marriage to retirement, the reason was its EASIER  for them, I  ignored her lecture and  carried on with the marriage extension.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pungdo said:

The male IO spent a long time talking to someone on the phone and the wife tells me it was about his concern that I would withdraw the 400K from the bank and spend it, which of course I am entitled to do anyway,

When you actually get the marriage extension yes, but recommended not to spend it before the one month approval is up. Maybe that is what he meant.

14 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I'm amazed that anyone would want to switch from retirement to marriage given the extra hassle involved. 

That was a good point up until they legislated the criteria for the scam insurance for retirees who originally entered on O-A visas.

The fact that some are not even able to qualify for this bogus insurance because of age or infirmity, makes the switch crucial.

(Not everyone can travel out to begin the process again with a different visa class.)  

• Like 2

Did a similar change from retirement to guardian visa only need B400,000 in the bank a week prior although I deposit it 2 months just to be safe. Got told I was a cheap Charlie by the officer in Phuket but that money I don’t bring in for a retirement visa has earned me B50,000 back in Aus over the last 2 years. Little extra paper work and a month wait for the visa but that’s fine.

I would like to ask the following on this subject:

My visa NON-IMMIGRANT O-A was valid until July 2019 and my subsequent NON-IMMIGRANT RE-ENTRY will be valid until June.

Can I switch to the NON IMMIGRANT-O for marriage reason under these conditions?

If so, which form do I need?

TM86/87?

Edited by sathornlover

10 hours ago, sathornlover said:

Can I switch to the NON IMMIGRANT-O for marriage reason under these conditions?

You cannot change non immigrant visa categories without going to a embassy or consulate to apply for new visa.

Only a tourist visa or a visa exempt entry can be changed to a non immigrant visa.

If your immigration office will allow you to do it you could change the reason for your extension of stay from retirement to marriage.

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2020 at 2:21 PM, Pungdo said:

I switched this time, last Tuesday at Jomtien, the female IO at counter 6 asked me why I was changing from Retirement and I simply said I didn't wish to lock up 800k, she got very snarly from that point onwards and made me go and fill in 2 TM7's by hand when I had 2 I had filled in on the computer, she also would no longer speak with me and only spoke to my wife, then palmed us off onto a more senior male IO, he was much easier to get along with.

The male IO spent a long time talking to someone on the phone and the wife tells me it was about his concern that I would withdraw the 400K from the bank and spend it, which of course I am entitled to do anyway, the long and short of it is we had our home visit from 3 IO's this morning and everything is hopefully on track.

I did say to the senior IO this morning that it was a massive pile of paper he had (about 20mm thick with the 3 lots piled on top of each other) and he gave me a bemused "Yeap"

The snarly female IO also told my wife that neither of us was allowed to go anywhere during the 30 day under consideration period, which is a load of garbage, I made the wife ask this morning during the visit if she was free to head up country and was told she could go anywhere she liked now that they had been.

Strange ,because i have heard before that she is a misery ,i told her the same reason back in november ,but when we actually did the change in jan ,she was laughing and chatting to my wife ,while i just sat there ,also the guy to the left of her that we had to see was nice as pie as well,although i did have to get a few extra photocopies , as i have said before i just sat and smiled a lot????

15 hours ago, samuisurfer said:

Hello thank you for your answer...can I do that marriage extension also in my home country at the thai embassy.?..I am not continuesly in thailand couple of month at a stretch...when I come back within one year ( from a-o issue date ) they extend it another year after I need that re entry permit...next time I just apply for another a-o depends where I am...can that be done also with the marriage visa same way ??

do I need the 90 day report as well...?

You need to understand the difference between an Extension and a Visa.

So you cannot do an extension in your home country.

If you return to Thailand before the expiry (Enter Before) date of your O-A Visa you will receive another Permit to Stay of 12 months (not an extension). You are effectively OK for that 12 months, except if you leave Thailand, a Re-Entry Permit is required to keep that stay Permit valid on return. 

If you wish to get a new O-A Visa after that, it must be done in your own country, and will have a Medical Insurance requirement. The alternative is a 12 month Extension obtained in Thailand based on marriage (or retirement). Be aware of the money in a Thai bank or income requirements for Extensions. 

Edited by jacko45k

A Non O Visa for marriage can be applied for in UK.

I think only single entry though (I might be wrong).

This would give a stay of 90 days.

A Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa can definitely be got in Savanakhet Laos.

This would give multiple stays of up to 90 days for a year.

No 90 day reports as you will not be in Thailand for more than 90 days at a time.

Edited by fishtank