Thai Airways plane snaps tail off private jet after collision at Vientiane airport

webfact

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Except the damage was to the leading edge of the left wing.

The incident occurred while taxiing, not on push-back. 

Its the Pilots responsibility at all times. Ground crew could have screwed up and not pushed the plane back far enough, but isn’t this one of the reasons why a ‘walk around’ is required? 

If they did not push it back far enough, released the plane then the plane starts its on taxi. My bet is on inefficient ground crew. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:
19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Except the damage was to the leading edge of the left wing.

The incident occurred while taxiing, not on push-back. 

Its the Pilots responsibility at all times. Ground crew could have screwed up and not pushed the plane back far enough, but isn’t this one of the reasons why a ‘walk around’ is required? 

If they did not push it back far enough, released the plane then the plane starts its on taxi. My bet is on inefficient ground crew. 

Quite possible... if the plane was being towed from the gate. 

The natural assumption and generalisation would be that the ground crew are less well trained and carry out their duties with a smaller degree of responsibility than the pilot. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tagaa said:

Biggest question is how will they repair the Gulfstream. It certainly can not be flown to a maintenance hub and, I am not sure, but I doubt seriously if there are any heavy maintenance facilities at Vientiane.

Probably a total loss after factoring in the expense of sending parts, personnel and necessary equipment to the site, add in salvage value (complete fuselage, engines, wings, landing gear, electronics, etc.) and it's a write off.

A Gulfstream representative will be sent out to evaluate the damage.  Gulfstream engineers will analyze the damage report and determine what parts and tooling are necessary to do a basic repair. Once the owner or insurance company pays the estimated cost in full, a repair team will be sent out to do the repair.  Looks like a 3-4 month job to me if they have all the parts and repair crew available.  These accidents are fairly common.  Could also be a big repair job for the Thai aircraft if the spars, flight controls etc. are damaged.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The accident couldn’t come at a worse time for Thai Airways, which has suffered financial problems in recent years and is now dealing with a sudden drop in demand due to the coronavirus. 

Not a worry, toss a few shovels a money down its throat. That'l keep it flying

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Oh no... This is perfect fuel for the ‘all Thai’s cannot drive’ brigade..... 

.... Just when you’d like to step in a defend against sweeping generalisations the evidence just keeps mounting up !!!

Someone will say, ‘can happen anywhere’ and it probably does, but the evidenced general fvckwittery and general inattention never quite goes away. 

Really... how the ‘Eff’ can you manage to hit a parked plane???? well, how the ‘Eff’ can someone drive into a parked vehicle, how the ‘Eff’ can so many things happen??? Einstein once wrote: “only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure of the former” !!!! 

How the 'eff' did Wattay ground control let this Gulfstream park so close to the main taxiway?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Oh no... This is perfect fuel for the ‘all Thai’s cannot drive’ brigade.....

And just waiting for more qualified comments.

"Didn't the pilot check his (rear) mirrors" :bah:

At the very first a pilot depends on the airport controllers/ground staff when taxiing on the tarmac. Only second option: he didn't follow the instructions if any.

Wow so many experts on this forum. My guess is the Thai jet was still taxiing, with

ground crew help and they messed up, or the Gulfstream jet was parked too close to the taxiway.

I think I will wait for the results from the airport officials, and accident investigation.

Geezer

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fredge45 said:

Remember the winglet clip those fine Airbus A380 crews did on the plane's show-and-tell tour of SEA... going to claim they were Thai as well?  https://www.presstelegram.com/2007/09/01/airbus-wing-clips-building/

This is a Thai site about things Thai and a sprinkle of world headlines people IN Thailand may find interesting? Being a "but, but person is really pathetic". A double whammy in one day... Wow. Surprised they never blacked out the tail logo.... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Just because the Gulfstream has cones around it does not mean it was satisfactorily parked or that the Lao ground crew backing and guiding the airbus out enough to properly avoid interaction with the Gulfstream. My guess is on the ground crew screwup.

Yes I agree with that. Until a departing aircraft has left the terminal apron, the pilot is very dependent on the actions of the ground staff. His aircraft must be pushed back into the correct position for a safe departure and the route to the taxiway must be clear of obstructions.

The inquiry into this incident will focus, very much on those two aspects.