Sharp increase in Covid-19 cases in Thai provinces 'cause for concern'

Rightly or wrongly, the impression is growing that the Thai authorities are not coming clean on the extent of the virus outbreak, let alone how they intend to turn back the rising tide of new infections.

Rumours spread easiest in the dark.

Our East Coast resort town is buzzing with unconfirmed reports that a dozen patients are being treated for COVID-19. This could, of course, be fake news. But if true, we should be told and informed what action is being to safeguard the local population from further infections.

It is simply not good enough to have to rely on inadequate Health Ministry maps like the one published in The Nation article, which shows only infections in Bangkok and "outside Bangkok". This scattergun description is so general as to be meaningless, and more likely to fuel dangerous complacency than encourage self-isolation, social distancing and other sensible precautions.

For the sake of individual safety and national security, the public needs be kept up to date on the progress of the of the virus and preventative measures (presumably along similar lines to those implemented in Bangkok, Pattaya and other major population centres) being taken to stop the virus spreading.

Help should be prioritised on the basis of risk. This means specifically targeting the elderly and people with underlying health problems, whom together account for the overwhelming majority of COVID-19 deaths worldwide.

Should Thailand end up as devastated as Italy, the government will have earned a headstone inscribed "Too little, too late".

Edited by Krataiboy

1 minute ago, Krataiboy said:

Rightly or wrongly, the impression is growing that the Thai authorities are not coming clean on the extent of the virus outbreak, let alone how they intend to turn back the rising tide of new infections.

Rumours spread easiest in the dark.

Our East Coast resort town is buzzing with unconfirmed reports of at least a dozen patients are being treated for COVID-19. This could be fake news. But if true, we should be told and informed what action is being to safeguard the local population from further infections.

It is simply not good enough to have to rely on inadequate Health Ministry maps like the one published in The Nation article, which shows only infections in Bangkok and "outside Bangkok". This scattergun description is so general as to be meaningless, and more likely to fuel dangerous complacency than encourage self-isolation, social distancing and other sensible precautions.

For the sake of individual safety and national security, the public needs be kept up to date on the progress of the of the virus and preventative measures (presumably along similar lines to those implemented in Bangkok, Pattaya and other major population centres) being taken to stop the virus spreading.

Help should be prioritised on the basis of risk. This  means specifically targeting the elderly and people with underlying health problems, who together account for the overwhelming majority of COVID-19 deaths worldwide.

Should Thailand end up as devastated as Italy, the government will deserve a headstone inscribed with the words "Too little, too late".

The biggest problem I have seen is that the government does not care about the people, only how much money they can put in their bank accounts. My Thai wife and so many in our town are so angry and hate the government for lying and doing nothing. They know that people now believe the government has lied and made big mistakes by allowing the Chinese to continue to come into the country in the last 3 months and now slowly starting to report infected people and soon it will be close to the problems that Italy have now. Many, many more old people people will die unfortunately.

• Like 1

This is a Google translate on the 77Khaoded.com website on the shutdown in Khon Kaen:

Khon Kaen announces tightening measures against Covid-19 Prepare to receive workers returning.

(The shutdown)  will start from March 23 until April 12, 2563, but also requesting cooperation for risk groups traveling from Bangkok and its surrounding provinces ...

And countermeasures for those traveling back that are expected to begin after midnight on the 22nd of March. The names of all Khon Kaen people will be recorded. Along with a preliminary detection of the Covid-19 virus for epidemiology After that, the governing body in each area will have to follow up after returning home if found to be infected with the CoVid-19 virus. Must be confined to the area to see the following symptoms.

Edited by SkyFax

Thai doctors are now saying the Asian strain of Covid-19 that was seen in Thailand at the beginning of the outbreak wasn't that virulent. But the virus mutated in Italy. This more deadly strain was brought back from Italy by the Muay Thai crew and it was allowed to spread at Lumpini. And now that those people have been spreading the Italian strain all the way out to the countryside where hospitals are no where near as well equipped... The <deleted> has hit the fan.

12 minutes ago, raccos21 said:

Do you really think that these people will stay home in the country site?

this was my point. they are in the countryside and as soon as they arrived from dubai back to their home the medics came to test. I was quite impressed. and they were not allowed to leave. this was March 5th. sign on the front door do not come in etc. and no one wanted to.

55 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Inconclusive as of yet they have not tested her.  Dying with Covid19 "symptoms" 

Same as Swine flu or Avian flu symptoms AFAIK, which kill 45,000 -  60,000 Americans every year .  https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/cdc-us-flu-deaths-winter/

Either way, not something that should happen to a healthy 39 year old

Thanks for the reply

12 year old in critical condition in the UK, no underlying issues

8 minutes ago, Abmong said:

Thai doctors are now saying the Asian strain of Covid-19 that was seen in Thailand at the beginning of the outbreak wasn't that virulent. But the virus mutated in Italy. This more deadly strain was brought back from Italy by the Muay Thai crew and it was allowed to spread at Lumpini. And now that those people have been spreading the Italian strain all the way out to the countryside where hospitals are no where near as well equipped... The <deleted> has hit the fan.

Surprise surprise blame the foreigners..........again and take the shift away from the despicable Chinese

So many comments on this thread about the stupidity, ignorance, selfishness, of the Thais.

Yet on the World News thread at the moment, just a dozen or so concerning the stupidity, ignorance, selfishness of the British and Australians; and highly unlikely to attract nearly as much comments.

The UK PM has threatened to lock down the country if people continue to act as if it is New Year's Eve or the summer holiday season; how's that for the intelligence level of the population?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, elwood said:

stupidity, ignorance, selfishness of the British and Australians; and highly unlikely to attract nearly as much comments.

Oh don't worry, it's attracting plenty of comment...

This is a Thai forum though, so that is why the focus of comments is on Thai reaction/behaviors.. 

Just now, elwood said:

So many comments on this thread about the stupidity, ignorance, selfishness, of the Thais.

Yet on the World News thread at the moment, just a dozen or so concerning the stupidity, ignorance, selfishness of the British and Australians; and highly unlikely to attract nearly as much comments.

The UK PM has threatened to lock down the country if people continue to act as if it is New Year's Eve or the summer holiday season; how's that for the intelligence level of the population?

Yes, I would agree, mostly because many of these people live here and see it everyday.  I have posted about the US and the UK governments totally botching everything up. Starting with Trump also pretending their is nothing to worry about and then turns around and says he new it was a pandemic all along. I have dual citizenship and have been involved with bashing both governments. The US was not prepared and waited 3 months before doing anything and the Trump has stated he does not take any responsibility, stated it during a briefing to the world, that is what I call a real moron and not a leader. The UK is not much different, don't understand why they took so long to react as well and currently not controlling things properly.  It is not just Thailand and I feel for the people here and worry what could happen to many of us. My wife worries about her parents and neighbors who are about 80 years old or so. They will be the first to feel if unlucky to catch it. The World News needs to give blame to so many other countries, but Thailand should have stopped the tourists back in January and put controls in then, but they only worried about the loss of money.

• Like 2

UK deaths just on Sunday = 48 people  Italy = just on Sunday 651   America = total 457 died so far. Army is being deployed in all three countries. Everyone is being told to stay home and remain 2 meters from people in shops. France in lock down now. Spain just Sunday alone = 394 dead

So the point is that once you reach the take off point more die in all age groups because the hospitals cannot cope with the emergencies flooding in hour by hour. You need intensive care with Oxygen equipment which most advanced nations (possibly Germany excepted) do not have enough. 

For Thailand intelligent people all over are self isolating. Please do it and watch the Sky videos of Italian wards overwhelmed . It has sent the Brits into panic and we are next on total close down. Good luck. 

2 minutes ago, bstafford214 said:

Yes, I would agree, mostly because many of these people live here and see it everyday.  I have posted about the US and the UK governments totally botching everything up. Starting with Trump also pretending their is nothing to worry about and then turns around and says he new it was a pandemic all along. I have dual citizenship and have been involved with bashing both governments. The US was not prepared and waited 3 months before doing anything and the Trump has stated he does not take any responsibility, stated it during a briefing to the world, that is what I call a real moron and not a leader. The UK is not much different, don't understand why they took so long to react as well and currently not controlling things properly.  It is not just Thailand and I feel for the people here and worry what could happen to many of us. My wife worries about her parents and neighbors who are about 80 years old or so. They will be the first to feel if unlucky to catch it. The World News needs to give blame to so many other countries, but Thailand should have stopped the tourists back in January and put controls in then, but they only worried about the loss of money.

That's a very fair comment.

Also I take the point that, being a Thailand-based forum, people will concentrate on events here.

However, there are many regular writers on this forum who always make their comments seem as if only Thais do bad, silly or selfish things, never the "superior" western expats.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Returned from Ekkamai, it was empty too, and hardly any buses running to Pattaya, had to wait 1½hours (17:45)

Enlighten me, why do you think it's wise to go on a bus these days?

There's a lot people could do by themselves, all without the government having to tell them. Avoiding bus travel would be high on my list of things to avoid!

19 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Hate to say it, and would hate to see it, but I have a feeling Thailand may lose one-fifth of their population before this is through, mostly because of their own ignorance. 

I just love an experts opinion ????????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Surprise surprise blame the foreigners..........again and take the shift away from the despicable Chinese

It's not blaming, it's just medical fact. Viruses mutate. Different strains can be tranced to it's origins.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

what nonsense are you babbling on about ....

Khun Prayut Chan O Cha is in charge and is the Prime Minister of Thailand.

Capture.khunprayut1.PNG.7a1156bdd3beeeb639275c19cc8c21e1.PNG

Comprehension Steven, comprehension, did you read the post I was referring to - no:

My comment was in reply to something like "the military taking over" - - why would the military step in and take over, because your heart-thob has screwed up - I'll leave it to you to work out the rest. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dubai thai farang said:

My wife and baby returned to Sakon Nakhon two weeks ago from Dubai and were instantly quarantined in home for 2 weeks by local officials. 

But with the mass numbers which are now coming along, returning from places like Korea I doubt they will be able to control it, without army support.

How,s the situation in Dubai?

19 hours ago, DLock said:

Well, you did nothing for the month of February, including no testing, and now you shut everything down, and those people exposed are now going home to establish new infection hubs.

...you didn't really think about this, did you?

The government response does seem to be rather piecemeal lacking an overall strategy from the beginning. First the priority was to avoid upsetting China by barring flights from coming in, even allowing tour groups from Wuhan in until China stopped them. Then the priority was to avoid upsetting owners of businesses, including the army which owns the Lumpini boxing stadium and other boxing venues. Now this exodus to the provinces and neighbouring countries has been triggered without much thought as to the ramifications. Having those infected sit on buses for 10 hours is clearly another multiplier effect like the boxing match. Upcountry hospitals could be in deep trouble. 

• Like 1

This is going to be a wild fire.. 

People goimg home as they live hand to mouth they just bale from there apartments in Bkk  And back to the village.. 

Average infection rate per capita, around the world  is around 0.5 % at the moment? 

And Thai being Thai they take a Tiffy and think all is OK and infect many more this can get nasty and with Anutin in charge god help us all. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

If the mortality rate worldwide is anything to go by, it comes around 4% mortality rate, with the age of most affected being >70. I think this prediction is way, way off. 

Furthermore, people going back to the provinces isn't out of ignorance but out of sheer necessity. No job means no money, no money means no food and a place to stay. It is hardly rocket science. 

Hasn't really hit third world countries yet. So much for Thailand becoming a wealthy economy as his masters voice relayed, this is showing how far from an advanced society they really are. I hope to God I'm wrong but this could put Italy in the shade.

• Like 1

"Thai people support Thai people" quote from Health Minister (and Deputy Prime Minister).....so don't expect any assistance.

That was a shocking interview....he would have shown the world a better stance by refusing to interview at all.....besides he does "...have lots of paperwork to do"