Pattaya: "English Rose" bar brazenly serving drinks to tourists despite Covid-19 ban

webfact

There's also been at least one bar open in Jomtien … but they keep most of the lights off. I guess it's to remove the attention somewhat. Though I'm sure they've passed a few brown envelopes to the boys in brown.

2 hours ago, thaiclan said:

It is not a 'no gathering' rule. Hotels are allowed to serve hotel guests. I guess the post you replied to was asking the difference in rules for guest house as opposed to hotel. Fair point really.

I'm in Bangkok and can't even sit down to a cup of coffee passed the Landmark hotel on Sukhumvit and the terrace is full and most had a beer in front of them but they are keeping the 1.5m distance.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

There's also been at least one bar open in Jomtien … but they keep most of the lights off. I guess it's to remove the attention somewhat. Though I'm sure they've passed a few brown envelopes to the boys in brown.

It's owned by the boys in brown run by the sister.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Logosone said:

The governments of the world ALL failed to isolate their countries on time, when the writing was on the wall in Wuhan for months.

pity the writing was done on Invisible Ink

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

Yes run by a fellow Brit, Alan.

I doubt the farang bar owners have thought through the impact on this ban, or, much more likely, just don't care.

Not a restaurant, just a bar. Dispicable.

Guys crowding into a bar have got to be really thick, plus these guys are usually in the at risk group, maybe they don't realise they may peg it soon

• Haha 1

I remember being in Phuket during the 2014 closures.  One of the main clubs in Rawaii built a side entrance, had everyone park to the rear, and enter from the rear side door, the lights were kept low and the music soft while 100's drank until 5 am everyday.  Tea money was paid to the local bib, and all was good.  I am sure this will still happen in places like Pattaya, Chonburi, Jomtien, and even here in Bangkok......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ravip said:

How about the smart tourists drinking in there?

Who is at risk? Consequences?

Only Thai, Thai, Thai...

The order to close went out to owners. In this case, the owner was "Thai Thai Thai."

The tourists could have bought alcohol from a supermarket or 7/11 and sat on their balcony. 

But a Thai can't let a global pandemic get in the way of making a baht. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Guys crowding into a bar have got to be really thick, plus these guys are usually in the at risk group, maybe they don't realise they may peg it soon

I'm really struggling to blame the customers. Bar owner had been served written notice of the closures and the rules surrounding it and reasons for. He chose to ignore it and open his bar. How would the customers (possibly here on holiday) know that he hadn't been given permission to open?

In the light of the current global crisis and the well publicised actions of Western countries to fight this pandemic, bar owner was irresponsible in the extreme and the Thai authorities would be well within their moral rights to deport him. IMHO a bit more serious than overstay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The order to close went out to owners. In this case, the owner was "Thai Thai Thai."

The tourists could have bought alcohol from a supermarket or 7/11 and sat on their balcony. 

But a Thai can't let a global pandemic get in the way of making a baht. 

Please, I pray, have a look at post #66.

Bless you.

21 minutes ago, ravip said:

Please, I pray, have a look at post #66.

Bless you.

I did.  What's your point?

Is it, farang money, so he is the "owner" but Thai women is the owner on paper?  If so, she's still liable. 

The order went out to owners, and if her name in on the paper, she's responsible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

I did.  What's your point?

Is it, farang money, so he is the "owner" but Thai women is the owner on paper?  If so, she's still liable. 

The order went out to owners, and if her name in on the paper, she's responsible.

Poor, innocent farang. Ohhhh my heart bleeds for ém

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Not according to the records and it is only the person that has their name on the records can be charged and there is no way around that fact. The name is Thai, the person charged is Thai and you just have to accept the facts

Absolutely. IIRC Farangs are not permitted to own a bar (I believe it is a reserved occupation for Thais only). How ever there is nothing stopping a Thai wife from owning a bar even though the farang has put up the money.

So the name on the business is a Thai and not a farang.

Knowing that the farang put up the money is not the same as legal evidence provable in a court of law.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not the English bar owner. Little man with a little bar and a little guest house, grubbing round for a few baht, not Mister Big. Expect the police/licencing authority to make a serious example of him.

Half the time the police arrest the Thai partner, and hit the farang money man up for hundreds of thousands of baht for her release from the monkey house.  It tugs on the heart strings that the wife is in jail, so he pays up.  Virus aside, many times it's a scam. 

I would not be surprised if the wife is in on it sometimes.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

For contributing to the spread of a contagious disease.

I think that has been going on long before and laws were created so it would therefore be everyone's right to spread contagious disaeses as a legal precedent has been set.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Logosone said:

Latest from the WHO: 

Self-isolation won't work.

The key is to test and identify the carriers and the sick, then to isolate THEM. Isolating the healthy and non-carriers from the healthy totally pointless.

"What we really need to focus on is finding those who are sick, those who have the virus, and isolate them, find their contacts and isolate them," Mike Ryan said in an interview on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/03/22/world/europe/22reuters-health-coronavirus-who-ryan.html

If I understand Ryan correctly he is saying that lockdowns alone are not enough.

'"Once we've suppressed the transmission, we have to go after the virus. We have to take the fight to the virus," Ryan said.'

So it seems he is saying that lockdowns will suppress the transmission and then mass testing and other measures will have to be done.

Isolating healthy and non-carriers would be totally pointless if we already knew who was infected.

There is a very interesting article on the web comparing the responses of St. Louis and Philadelphia to the 1918 flu that makes a strong case for social isolation.

They should close his bar down for good, fine his sorry ass and deport him.  Why does this ignorant fool think he is above the law? And the patrons in the place are just as selfish and ignorant.  There’s no fix for stupid short of a lobotomy which should be the next step for the owner and the patrons.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, in an establishment that was told not to open and it being posted everywhere.  Ignorance is not Bliss.  Just look at the card players they arrested when they raided the illegal (Laughable) card competition.......just like darts...

As one of those arrested at the Pattaya-Jomtien bridge club, let me make it quite clear: playing bridge in clubs with no stakes involved, is 100% legal. As for the case, all charges were dropped and the people behind it were made to look very foolish.

Thailand has been a participant in world bridge events since 1964.

http://www.thailandbridgeleague.com/

• Like 2