Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

"Not collecting SS. Filed 2018 tax return, but no refund, so no bank info. Have filed in prior tax years (2014 I believe) with direct deposit information for refund. Still get this: [Payment Status Not Available.]"

My situation as well, so you're not alone.

1 hour ago, cusanus said:

How about I file an amended return non joint, file singly?

Please see my post above ^^.

You can definitely try that approach.  The final determination of your eligibility will be based on your tax filing for 2020 because this payment is actually an advance on the refundable tax credit created for 2020 in the CARES Act.  If filing as married separately doesn't cause you to pay more tax you can make the change on your 2020 tax filing and receive the benefit later.

Edited by gamb00ler
38 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

You can definitely try that approach.  The final determination of your eligibility will be based on your tax filing for 2020 because this payment is actually an advance on the refundable tax credit created for 2020 in the CARES Act.  If filing as married separately doesn't cause you to pay more tax you can make the change on your 2020 tax filing and receive the benefit later.

I always ask myself why I put her on the form, anyway. So, the amended 1040-X goes out today...
Part III (explanation) goes like this. Why wait? 

According to news reports, US citizens with immigrant spouses do not qualify for the $1200 stimulus check. In a few cases, it is stated that spouses with TIN numbers instead of SSAN numbers will disqualify a taxpayer. My spouse is a Thai national, NOT an immigrant to the USA. She has never been to the USA. I had to leave the USA to avoid pervasive crime interring with employment, including 100s of millions in tax fraud and drug racketeering on government property (which the IRS ignored). I included my Thai wife as a spouse on the 1040 out of respect, but since neither of us has any taxable income in either country, there is no need to include her in anything. There are many ex pats here in Thailand with Thai wives who are getting stimulus checks because they do not file a joint return. Please do not deny me a stimulus check simply because I'm married to a Thai national. Thank you. 

Well, now, SOB, Thai postal would not mail my 1040X to the USA, Covid-19, no mail to US of A

Edited by cusanus
  • Haha 1

Well, now, SOB, Thai postal would not mail my 1040X to the USA, Covid-19, no mail to US of A

This could be a serious problem since five weeks from now we will be receiving Proof of Life forms (SSA 7162) which if are not returned will mean that our Social Security payments will stop Feb 2021. 

• Thanks 1

I always ask myself why I put her on the form, anyway. So, the amended 1040-X goes out today...
Part III (explanation) goes like this. Why wait? 

According to news reports, US citizens with immigrant spouses do not qualify for the $1200 stimulus check. In a few cases, it is stated that spouses with TIN numbers instead of SSAN numbers will disqualify a taxpayer. My spouse is a Thai national, NOT an immigrant to the USA. She has never been to the USA. I had to leave the USA to avoid pervasive crime interring with employment, including 100s of millions in tax fraud and drug racketeering on government property (which the IRS ignored). I included my Thai wife as a spouse on the 1040 out of respect, but since neither of us has any taxable income in either country, there is no need to include her in anything. There are many ex pats here in Thailand with Thai wives who are getting stimulus checks because they do not file a joint return. Please do not deny me a stimulus check simply because I'm married to a Thai national. Thank you. 

I just started a thread on this very issue.  It doesn't apply to me, but I think it's patently unfair.  So the non-citizen wife is not entitled, fine, but the US citizen is also not eligible because he's married to a non-citizen?  It seems the current Administration not only hates immigrants, but also hates Americans married to one.

• Like 1

Nothing there that's helpful. You make a special election when you file a joint return with your non-resident alien spouse and you have to go through the proper steps to revoke that election if you want to file on a different basis.

EDIT:

Actually, it does seem that while you are required to file a joint return for the first year you make the election, in subsequent years you and your spouse CAN file separate returns without revoking the election. But until the election is revoked, the non-resident alien spouse remains taxable on worldwide income and subject to tax filing requirements on the same basis as a U.S. citizen.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

Edited by taxout

Ditto for a neighbor of mine on SS but does not file a return...she got the same screen as shown in ubonjoe's post above.

And remember a few days ago the SSA Commissioner said to get your dependents data updated "by noon 22 Apr 2020" if you want the extra $500 per child (see below post) included in you stimulus payment.  Combine that with the notice in ubonjoe's post above talking a service outage 23-25 Apr and it could mean during that 22-25 Apr period SSA data is going to be mixed in with federal return data so payments to those on SSA but not filing returns can get their stimulus payment sent out.

To anyone receiving 100% total disability from the VA who doesn’t file taxes good news if you still haven’t received your check yet. I received mine last week but I also received an email from the VA OCONUS connection last night as well with this link about EIPs.

This is all you need to know here it’ll be automatic! See the va.gov link: 

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=5423

To anyone receiving 100% total disability from the VA who doesn’t file taxes good news if you still haven’t received your check yet. I received mine last week but I also received an email from the VA OCONUS connection last night as well with this link about EIPs. Great information!! 

This is all you need to know here it’ll be automatic! See the va.gov link: 

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=5423

2 minutes ago, zippysteve said:

Wow so this is spinning quite a yarn huh. Most people have already received theirs. 

How do you know "most" people have received theirs? 

Snail mail checks are still in the early stages of being mailed out to millions upon millions....people on SSA who don't file returns have not started receiving theirs yet....and I expect "most' VA recipients have not received theirs either.  

And just to confirm did you receive your stimulus payment based solely on your VA payment data...that is you do not file a federal return?   Or did you also file a 2019/2018 return?   If  you did file a 2019/2018 return then that's probably why you got your payment already.  

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Pib said:

How do you know "most" people have received theirs? 

Snail mail checks are still in the early stages of being mailed out to millions upon millions....people on SSA who don't file returns have not started receiving theirs yet....and I expect "most' VA recipients have not received theirs either.  

And just to confirm did you receive your stimulus payment based solely on your VA payment data...that is you do not file a federal return?   Or did you also file a 2019/2018 return?   If  you did file a 2019/2018 return then that's probably why you got your payment already.  

Most of us use direct deposit. Lots of people are talking about receiving it already including myself. Always at least have an account in the states still. 

Edited by zippysteve
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, zippysteve said:

Most of us use direct deposit. Lots of people are talking about receiving it already including myself. Always at least have an account in the states still. 

Did you file a 2019/2018 return?

I've made 3 attempts per day for about a week, but can't get past the first page. The inability to find my details has to be related to my Thai address (that included both a # and a [period] and was more than 35 characters). I found the following information about on a different IRS website about valid foreign street addresses. I've not figured out what the IRS did to truncate my street address, but perhaps this will help others get into the site:  

The Street Address field must contain 35 or fewer characters, including spaces. Legal Characters: A-Z, a-z, 0-9, hyphen, slash and single space. Illegal Characters: leading space, trailing space, adjacent spaces, #, period or any other symbol (other than a hyphen or slash). The first character must be alphabetic or numeric. 

16 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

The inability to find my details has to be related to my Thai address (that included both a # and a [period] and was more than 35 characters).

I have only been using my house number and Soi number. For example 123/456 Soi 12/5 and it seems to work.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have only been using my house number and Soi number. For example 123/456 Soi 12/5 and it seems to work.

Unfortunately my tax preparer used this as my street address:

Condo VeryLongName #A201, 42/5 Sxxxxxx Road

When I checked with him, he told me that the Form 9325, eFile Acknowledgement was returned with this address: 

CONDO VERYLONGNAME A201 42/5 SXXXXXX 

That made the address exactly 35 characters long with the # , and ROAD removed from the address. Unfortunately, when I paste that address into the form it doesn't match what the IRS has in their system for me. 

43 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

When I checked with him, he told me that the Form 9325, eFile Acknowledgement was returned with this address: 

CONDO VERYLONGNAME A201 42/5 SXXXXX

Maybe try leaving off the road name.

What I used was just those first numbers and Soi number used on my address for the SSA.

"Illegal Characters: leading space, trailing space, adjacent spaces, #, period or any other symbol."

But if you click the "i" for more information on the address entry box on the form, you get this instruction:

"Enter your Street Address in "123 Main St NW #7" format."

So hard to believe that a # symbol is a problem.

Those considering sending in an amended return to solve some problem should note the message from the IRS:

"Note: We are not currently able to process individual paper tax returns due to the COVID-19 outbreak."

EDIT: I am now getting an "Access Denied" message when I try to check my status.

Edited by taxout

Just got below via email....talks SSI payment (not to be confused with regular SS pension payments).  It implies to me SSI stimulus payments have not started yet.   And those receiving SSI payment with a child(ren) and did not file a 2019/2018 federal return have thru 5 May to provide their child's info otherwise they will not receive the $500 extra per child; instead, will need to file a 2020 retrun in early 2021 to get the payment.   

Basically a repeat of what people drawing SS pension payment with a child who did not file a 2019/2018 return however they only had until 22 Apr to update their info.

The Email Text

Action Needed for People Receiving SSI with Dependents and Who Do Not File Tax Returns to Receive $500 Per Child Payment

“Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients who don’t file tax returns will start receiving their automatic Economic Impact Payments directly from the Treasury Department in early May.  People receiving SSI benefits who did not file 2018 or 2019 taxes, and have qualifying children under age 17, however, should not wait for their automatic $1,200 individual payment.  They should immediately go to the IRS’s webpage at www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here and visit the Non-Filers: Enter Your Information section to provide their information.  SSI recipients who have dependent children and did not file 2018 or 2019 taxes need to act by Tuesday, May 5, in order to receive additional payments for their eligible children quickly.  

For more information, please visit https://www.ssa.gov/news/press/releases/.

The Press Release

https://www.ssa.gov/news/press/releases/2020/#4-2020-7

“Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients who don’t file tax returns will start receiving their automatic Economic Impact Payments directly from the Treasury Department in early May. People receiving SSI benefits who did not file 2018 or 2019 taxes, and have qualifying children under age 17, however, should not wait for their automatic $1,200 individual payment. They should immediately go to the IRS’s webpage at www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here and visit the Non-Filers: Enter Your Information section to provide their information. SSI recipients who have dependent children and did not file 2018 or 2019 taxes need to act by Tuesday, May 5, in order to receive additional payments for their eligible children quickly.

By taking this proactive step to enter information on the IRS website about them and their qualifying children, they will also receive the $500 per dependent child payment in addition to their $1,200 individual payment. If people in this group do not provide their information to the IRS soon, their payment at this time will be $1,200 only. They would then be required to file a tax year 2020 tax return to obtain the additional $500 per eligible child.

I urge SSI recipients with qualifying children and who do not normally file taxes to take action now. Immediately go to IRS.gov so that you will receive the full amount of the Economic Impact Payments you and your family are eligible for.

Lastly, a word of caution. Be aware of scams related to the Economic Impact Payments. There is no fee required to receive these payments. Don’t be fooled.

Visit the agency’s COVID-19 web page at www.socialsecurity.gov/coronavirus/ for important information and updates.”

Click here to view the IRS press release about this important issue.