Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

5 hours ago, Caliguy said:

I haven't posted on here in awhile but just wanted to let you guys know i got the stimulus check today dated May 15th.

1 hour ago, Alotoftravel said:

I just got my check today too , dated May 15th.

Great for the guys who got their May 15 check. My IRS get my payment system said a check was issued to my (Thai) address May 15 too. Today I got Trump's letter. But no check yet.

Did the check recipient get Trump's letter earlier?

Added: How long after Trump's letter did you get the check?

Edited by Why Me

Happy to tell you I received the stimulu$ today, by direct deposit to BKK bank, about 10AM Thai time.

Given my belief the baht will soon weaken, I wonder what to exchange it to:  not confident in the US$ strength, and gold is way too high,

thanks, ~o:37;

• Like 1

Alot of bad advice on this forum! I was told by an IRS agent that if you are on Social Security and fill out the free file fillable form all it does is delay your stimulus payment! Because it has to go thru more people before they get to the social security information. They are short people because of the china virus, so it takes longer for them to go thru all the information submitted to them! He also stated that there is no set system of who gets paid when, they pay you, when they pay you!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MyTHaiMyKe said:

Alot of bad advice on this forum! I was told by an IRS agent that if you are on Social Security and fill out the free file fillable form all it does is delay your stimulus payment! Because it has to go thru more people before they get to the social security information. They are short people because of the china virus, so it takes longer for them to go thru all the information submitted to them! He also stated that there is no set system of who gets paid when, they pay you, when they pay you!

Sounds like the IRS rep was just quoting general guidance from the IRS EIP webpage, if a person wants to believe everything on their webpages with some of the info being conflicting, vague, etc.  

However, when you go to this "SSA" webpage they say SSA beneficiaries should have received their EIP in April, whether you filed a 2019/2018 return or not.  See the "chart" at below link.

https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/assets/materials/economic-impact-payments-for-social-security-and-ssi-recipients.pdf

And when you go to below SSA webpage under the 25 June update area it says "most" SS beneficiaries have already been paid.  What their definition of "most" is I don't know.  It mentions if the beneficiary used the Non-Filers tool that the IRS is processing payments weekly.  Of the three examples I remember in this thread of SS beneficiaries using the Non-filers tool because they were still waiting for the promise of the EIP to show up based purely on the IRS getting info from the SSA those three filers got paid via direct deposit three weeks after filing using the Non-Filers tool.

https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/

Social Security Beneficiaries

The IRS has processed most economic impact payments for Social Security (retirement, survivors, disability) beneficiaries whether they did or did not file a 2019 or 2018 tax return, except for a beneficiary who did not file a 2019 or 2018 tax return who also has a representative payee. If the beneficiary used the IRS’ Non-Filer Tool, the IRS is processing payments weekly, even if the beneficiary may have a representative payee.

And on the same SSA page talking above it also says SS beneficiaries with a foreign address that the IRS will "start" mailing checks no later than 24 July.  But we know just from this thread that some folks with foreign addresses got their checks mailed in May.   Maybe the part about starting to mail checks 24 July is the IRS is trying to get from "most" SS beneficiaries paid to "almost all" SS beneficiaries paid.

https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/

If I live outside the United States and not in a U.S. Territory, how and when will I get my economic impact payment (EIP)?

Social Security beneficiaries with a foreign address whose monthly benefit is deposited in a foreign bank will receive their EIP by paper check in the mail, because the IRS does not deposit money into foreign accounts. The IRS anticipates it will start mailing these EIPs no later than July 24. Beneficiaries living abroad who receive their monthly benefit through a domestic bank should receive their EIP by direct deposit to that same account on or about July 24.

Edited by Pib
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Hell and I am still waiting.????

I feel your pain. I am in exactly the same boat. Curious, are you checking the IRS get my payment to see if they updated your status as to when your replacement card is scheduled to be mailed?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, racyrick said:

I feel your pain. I am in exactly the same boat. Curious, are you checking the IRS get my payment to see if they updated your status as to when your replacement card is scheduled to be mailed?

That site is NFG for me has been from day 1. I talk directly with them. My last conversation was July 3. and was told a trace was being put on it and would take up to 6 weeks. I have the contact ID number of the the individual I dealt with and he says they still are having big issues with their website. I will call back Aug 16 if no mail. The IRS and the SSA were never given the tools by any of our governments past or present for this. They both are understaffed and have antiquated software. I personally know of family and friends back home that have not received their stimulus or refund checks and there are many in Thailand in the same boat. On the bright side I am not destitute and need be can wait tell next year when I will fill tax for 2020. The IRS says there will be a place on the forums for our bank DD info. My original mailing date was date was May 1. They give NO date fro a second mailing as it takes up to 6 weeks for them to track the post. On Aug 16 that 6 weeks is up and I will call again.

11 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

I received my 15May check with letter today in Koh Samui.  However, it took 2 hours to convince SCB to deposit it into my account.  They said it will take 2 months to appear on my account.

Was this the date on the check, or the postmark date?

Thanks

11 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

I received my 15May check with letter today in Koh Samui.  However, it took 2 hours to convince SCB to deposit it into my account.  They said it will take 2 months to appear on my account.

The delays were not the fault of the IRS.

1) Slow mail is caused because of no air traffic to Thailand because of Covid19. Not the fault of either ThaiPost or USPS. Just a fact of life.

2) The delay of 2 months, is typical of foreign checks deposited in Thai Banks. If you had had a US account with a mobile app you could have deposit it electronically.

1 hour ago, checkered flag said:

The delays were not the fault of the IRS.

1) Slow mail is caused because of no air traffic to Thailand because of Covid19. Not the fault of either ThaiPost or USPS. Just a fact of life.

2) The delay of 2 months, is typical of foreign checks deposited in Thai Banks. If you had had a US account with a mobile app you could have deposit it electronically.

Most of my accounts are in the US.  I wanted the money here and don't have a US ATM.  Anyone know if I could have scanned it to my BOA account and then sent it to my BB NY account so that it would be here the next day?

Does it really take a Thai bank 2 months to clear a US check?  Doesn't it go to like a clearing house in Singapore or does the check have to physically arrive in the US to clear?  I suspect that they simply scan it, send it, and it's approved or denied in seconds.

I was upset with SCB because they didn't want it in the first place and acted like I was trying to pass a bogus check.  All the girls huddled together chatting and staring at me.  I have 3 accounts there so was a bit surprised.  They took the check and told me to come back on Monday without providing a receipt.  I told the girl to stand there holding my check and took a picture of her.  It made me very nervous.  Ten minutes after I left the bank, she called back, smiled, and handed me a receipt.  I don't want to repeat that process.

Edited by parallaxtech
  • Sad 1
18 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

Most of my accounts are in the US.  I wanted the money here and don't have a US ATM.  Anyone know if I could have scanned it to my BOA account and then sent it to my BB NY account so that it would be here the next day?

Does it really take a Thai bank 2 months to clear a US check?  Doesn't it go to like a clearing house in Singapore or does the check have to physically arrive in the US to clear?  I suspect that they simply scan it, send it, and it's approved or denied in seconds.

I was upset with SCB because they didn't want it in the first place and acted like I was trying to pass a bogus check.  All the girls huddled together chatting and staring at me.  I have 3 accounts there so was a bit surprised.  They took the check and told me to come back on Monday without providing a receipt.  I told the girl to stand there holding my check and took a picture of her.  It made me very nervous.  Ten minutes after I left the bank, she called back, smiled, and handed me a receipt.  I don't want to repeat that process.

Since your active on line, you just need to request an on line account through BOA. You might already be using it to check balances etc. I find it useful if I want extra cash to be able to go on line with BOA and do a wire transfer. 

As far as SCB goes your check is low priority to them. Most Thai banks would also require about two weeks to process foreign checks. Because of the risks of fraud, they aren't willing to do anything until they have cash in hand.

6 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Since your active on line, you just need to request an on line account through BOA. You might already be using it to check balances etc. I find it useful if I want extra cash to be able to go on line with BOA and do a wire transfer. 

As far as SCB goes your check is low priority to them. Most Thai banks would also require about two weeks to process foreign checks. Because of the risks of fraud, they aren't willing to do anything until they have cash in hand.

Thanks, I will do that if we get a second check.

2 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

Anyone know if I could have scanned it to my BOA account and then sent it to my BB NY account so that it would be here the next day?

While scan/deposit to your BoA would work, as of late 2019 you could not have done an ACH transfer thru the BB NY acct as the transfer would not be in ACH "IAT" format which means the BB NY  branch would reject the transfer back to BoA.

Seems to take around 3 to 4 weeks to clear as the Thai bank mails the checks back to a clearing house bank in the US who in turn continuing the cashing/clearing of the check.  Plus the Thai banks want to make absolutely sure the check will not bounce....is not a fake.  With mailing (which is longer now due to COVID 19)and clearing time it's at least a several weeks affair; not like actually being in the US and cashing the check.  

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

While scan/deposit to your BoA would work, as of late 2019 you could not have done an ACH transfer thru the BB NY acct as the transfer would not be in ACH "IAT" format which means the BB NY  branch would reject the transfer back to BoA.

Seems to take around 3 to 4 weeks to clear as the Thai bank mails the checks back to a clearing house bank in the US who in turn continuing the cashing/clearing of the check.  Plus the Thai banks want to make absolutely sure the check will not bounce....is not a fake.  With mailing (which is longer now due to COVID 19)and clearing time it's at least a several weeks affair; not like actually being in the US and cashing the check.  

Pib, thanks for the explanation!  

I just got my check here at my Thai address. It was a May 15 send according to Get my Payment.

What are people doing with their checks here? Sending it back to my credit union in the US doesn't sound like a good option. I have acs. with BB and Kasikorn. Deposit there? Will they take a US check? Big hit on the rate? Thanks for advice.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, SailingHome said:

On SSDI with direct deposit to Bangkok Bank. No stimulus yet. Web site has no info for me, but says SS recipients do not need to file.

Advice?

You should use the non flers site to enter your info if you have not filed a tax return.

My post done on June 11th.

On 6/11/2020 at 7:40 AM, ubonjoe said:

They have done some additional changes dated yesterday. This one seems to say you should do it if your are getting SSA and have not gotten a payment yet.

image.png.4af470415a00d4bd8227803e651871d0.png

image.png.1d9e4bc4534f484b323fc321afcf7ae2.png

Source: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

I think I will entering my payment info this morning.

I filed on that day on got my payment on July 1st into my Bangkok Bank direct deposit account. I assume you are getting your payment via Bangkok Bank in New York to your direct deposit. If not you may have a check in the mail. Have you checked on the get my payment page of the IRS?

That site is here. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

Go to the site and fill in the required info if it is going via New York,

https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd/EconomicImpactPayment

• Like 2
20 hours ago, SailingHome said:

On SSDI with direct deposit to Bangkok Bank. No stimulus yet. Web site has no info for me, but says SS recipients do not need to file.

Advice?

For my advice, see my 10 June post which recommends submission of a Non-filers return.   

And on 10 June I also hand-walked a "don't use the internet/zero clue about the stimulus payment" couple here in Thailand thru a Non-filers joint return (easy) because the wife was receiving SSA benefits but hadn't got a stimulus payment and the Get My Payment just kept saying the IRS is still collecting date or you are ineligible, the husband is not drawing SSA benefits yet, and they hadn't submitted a federal return for many years due to their income level didn't require an annual return.  Great people, but they just don't keep-up on most USA issues anymore after retiring to Thailand, have no requirement to file returns or FBARs due to income level, etc.   

End result of the Non-filers submission was 21 days later on 1 July they received a joint direct deposit of $2,400 to their Bangkok Bank acct....the "Get My Payment" status changed from no status to the payment is inbound a week or so before the direct deposit date.  If they hadn't did a Non-filers submission the husband would have never got a $1,200 stimulus payment unless filing a 2018/2019/2020 return and IMO since the wife still hadn't received her $1,200 stimulus payment when the great majority of SS beneficiaries supposedly already had based on US Treasury/IRS early June media releases I told her there could very well be some IRS issue/flag holing up her stimulus payment.  Like maybe some glitch in the SSA data supposedly provided to the IRS, maybe since they had files a return for many year, etc.  I told them it just couldn't hurt to submit a Non-filers return since they had not/will not submit a regular return and hopefully the Non-filers submission would break loose their hung-up stimulus payments--and it did.  Plus, this should set them up for automatic payment of whatever the next stimulus package provides...which should be decided by our elected representatives over the next month or so.  

• Like 1

For anyone who does use the Non-filers tool although it's simple & short where you only have to basically enter your name, SSN, address, bank info is wanting direct deposit, and clicking a few selections, be very-very careful where it asks you if "Someone Can Claim you or (if doing a joint submission) your spouse as a dependent."  Repeat, be very careful as that area seems to confuse a lot of folks.

From reading a Reddit thread on stimulus payments where thousands of people have posted their stories about their stimulus payment (or lack there of) and use of the Non-filer tool, it seems many people got confused with that Non-filers question and they incorrectly select that they can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return. Like answering from a standpoint of "Yea, I guess someone could claim me like one of my adult kids but they are not claiming me."  If they make such a selection then that makes them ineligible to receive a stimulus payment. 

A few Reddit posters even swore when they first started the Non-filers form (even before making any data entry) one of the dependent blocks was already checked and they just didn't change it because because they thought the block had to be checked/selected or they thought it as just a hypothetical type question.  Personally I figure they just messed up, the block was not already selected/checked, they didn't really understand the question, and ended-up checking that someone else could claim them as a dependent even though no one was claiming them. 

Of course be truthful in the Non-filers return....if someone like a family member is indeed claiming you or your spouse as a dependent on their annual federal return then check the block.  A lot of minors "and adults" are claimed by other adult family members because those other family members are providing a level of income support to another person.  Example: when an adult child is claiming their parent as a dependent...and if you are that parent being claimed as a dependent the IRS knows that based on the adult child's federal return which makes you ineligible for a $1,200 stimulus payment

Just be sure you do not check one of he dependent blocks if no one is claiming you/spouse as a dependent....leave the below boxes blank/not selected.  Just be very careful in this area.   Remember, if you are a dependent you are not eligible for a $1,200 stimulus payment.

image.png.a1024a13b6bff180f74a36a1f490940b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok... So receiving SSDI  as I do, and it being direct deposited to Bangkok Bank, the USA fed can do the international format. I suspect it goes through the New York branch anyway, but I always get it at the same time I would if a USA bank. Very fast.

Thanks for all the advice to use the non-filers site, but what is the URL? Also, can I have the stimulus deposited to my USA bank instead?

Edited by SailingHome
USA Bank