Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

1 hour ago, Pib said:

But one thing for sure, Bangkok Bank rejects any "monthly/reoccurring ACH" payment, whether in IAT or non-IAT format,  if it's not going into their special direct deposit acct.   

My SSA payments have been going into a direct deposit account for 8 years already.

In 2019 I recall they were turning them away if they were not in the IAT format and it was first announced it in 2018.

New York verified mine were in the IAT format by email in December of 2018.

Edit: The IAT format is still shown on their website

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

In 2019 I recall they were turning them away if they were not in the IAT format and it was first announced it in 2018.

I don't remember seeing any posts where Bkk Bk rejected any "government" monthly payments although their website said they would if not in ACH IAT.   I should saw numerous posts where people's "bank" transfers not in IAT format started getting kicked back, but never saw a post where anyone said their "govt" payment was now being kicked back.

1 hour ago, racyrick said:

I may be in "no man's" land.

I get SSA and I filed my 2018 taxes. I do not have a bank on file with the IRS, but I get my SSA thru Direct Express.

IRS does not use Direct Express for refunds but now they say SSA people will get their stimulus the same way as SSA pays.

I have 2 dependents of my wife and son, so I should get $2,900 total.

Will they use 2018 return and take the SSA info for my payment with Direct Express?

Will they just issue me a check instead of Direct Express?

Will they just give me $1,200 from SSA and I lose my 2 dependents?

Oh the bureaucracy of it all. No man's land for sure!

Does your wife and child have social security numbers?    Anyone without a SSN, say only an ITIN, is not suppose to get stimulus funds.   Even on a joint return anyone on the return not having a SSN would be excluded.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/26/perspectives/stimulus-checks-undocumented-taxpayers/index.html

55 minutes ago, Pib said:

I don't remember seeing any posts where Bkk Bk rejected any "government" monthly payments although their website said they would if not in ACH IAT.   I should saw numerous posts where people's "bank" transfers not in IAT format started getting kicked back, but never saw a post where anyone said their "govt" payment was now being kicked back.

I am sure there were some that were rejected if my memory serves me correctly. 

Mostly those using a US address for their SSA payment that were not getting them in the IAT format.

Gosh, if below news articles are correct just having an ITIN anywhere on your return....like a spouse with an ITIN on a joint return...would disqualify even the person with a SSN on the joint return.   And I expect even if the IRS is using your SSA data versus a 2018/2019 tax return they would sniff out those folks with ITIN vs SSN.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/03/coronavirus-relief-checks-should-i-file-a-tax-return-other-questions.html

Who is excluded from stimulus payments?

While the legislation aims to put cash in the pockets of most low- and middle-income Americans, there are individuals who just won’t qualify.

Green Card holders, or anyone who is a legal U.S. resident but does not have a Social Security number, will be excluded. If you have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or ITIN, from the IRS, that also does not count.

If you are an American and file taxes jointly with a spouse who does not have a Social Security number, you also are disqualified, Watson said.

Another segment of the population that is excluded are adult dependents.

The legislation calls for $500 per child. But that’s only for children under age 17, based on the definition that’s used for the child tax credit.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/26/perspectives/stimulus-checks-undocumented-taxpayers/index.html

If the Senate bill is passed without amendment by the House and signed by the president, it will not be the first time that taxpayers who file their taxes with an ITIN will not receive stimulus checks. In 2008, when our country issued similar checks, not only were taxpayers who filed with ITINs excluded -- so were those with a valid Social Security Number who jointly filed a return with a spouse with an ITIN (with a limited exception for military families).

Edited by Pib
7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure there were some that were rejected if my memory serves me correctly. 

Mostly those using a US address for their SSA payment that were not getting them in the IAT format.

If true, then that also means where Bangkok Bank New York told numerous people that all US govt payments are in IAT format so don't worry was BS.  Now I know for sure X-percentage of govt ACH payments were not IAT payments based on my discussions with a key rep at HQ Bangkok Bank and Bangkok Bank NY and I mentioned that in posts last year.   

During a telecon with Bangkok Bank NY mid last year the rep started off saying all govt payments where in IAT format--which I knew was BS---but when I told the rep the HQ Bangkok Bank rep said/showed me all were not in IAT format the NY rep recanted and say well, only about 80% are in IAT format.  Yeap, caught the NY rep passing along BS.  Ah, but that's water under the bridge now....not trying to be augmentative....the way Bankgok Bank  handled the IAT goatrope could have been better IMO.

And there is an easy way to determine if your SSA payment is arriving in ACH IAT format by simply getting a Credit Advice and see if "310" was anywhere in the sender descriptio like "SSA XX310...."; but an ACH IAT formatted govt payment would not have that 310 in the description and also completely spelled out SSA vs abbreviating it.  A person can also see this info on the SMS Bangkok Bank sends when posting to your acct.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be surprises along the way....some direct deposit payments will get rejected for some reason....and for rejected direct deposit then the IRS will mail checks.  And in accordance with Murphy's Laws there couldn't be a worst time to be mailing stuff internationally due to mail disruption/delays caused by the coronavirus pandemic. 

A tax related website also saying if an ITIN is anywhere on a return even those with SSN on the return are disqualified for a stimulus payment (unless falling under a military exception).  But the website is basing their info on a news report....also said they awaiting official IRS guidance on the issue. 

https://pronto4tax.com/stimulus-plan-questions-answers/

If I don’t have a Social Security number (for example, I have an ITIN), will I get a stimulus payment?

No.  A valid social is required.

If my spouse and kids have socials but I have an ITIN, will we get the stimulus payments based on my spouse and kids?

Our understanding as of now is that stimulus payments will only be sent if everyone appearing on the tax return has a Social, and no family member(s) have ITIN(s).  We are still awaiting official guidance from IRS on this issue but as of now, that is what we expect based on news reports such as this one.  There is a narrow “exception” if a spouse with an ITIN served in the military in 2019.

And here's an old 2008 news article from the Stars & Stripes (a military newspaper) where the same thing happened back during the 2008 stimulus payment regarding an ITIN on a return.  Seems an ITIN anywhere on a return is the "Kiss of No Stimulus Payment for All Listed on the Return." 

https://www.stripes.com/news/joint-tax-returns-using-itin-ineligible-for-special-rebate-1.77057

Q. I file using an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). Can I still get a stimulus payment?

A: No. The law does not allow stimulus payments to people who file a return using an ITIN. A taxpayer must have a valid Social Security Number to qualify for the stimulus payment. If married filing jointly, both taxpayers must have a valid Social Security Number. And children must have valid Social Security Numbers to be eligible as qualifying children.

Q. I have an ITIN, but my spouse has a valid Social Security number. Can we get a payment?

A. If you and your spouse file a joint return, you will not get a stimulus payment. If your spouse files a separate return, your spouse may qualify for a payment, based on his or her income deductions and credits.

Q. If I have a valid Social Security Number and my child has an ITIN, do I get extra money for the child?

A. No. To qualify for the extra credit for qualifying children, not only do the taxpayer and spouse, if filing jointly, need valid Social Security Numbers, but the qualifying child must also have a valid Social Security Number.

22 hours ago, Pib said:

Does your wife and child have social security numbers?    Anyone without a SSN, say only an ITIN, is not suppose to get stimulus funds.   Even on a joint return anyone on the return not having a SSN would be excluded.

Hi Pib, fortunately both my wife and son have a social security number.

I have been using them on my taxes for 13 years now.

This is going to be problematic for sure.

20 hours ago, JimGant said:

Turbotax to provide portal:

https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/turbotax-online-portal-stimulus-check-direct-deposit-2020-4

Not too sure how this helps me -- I filed with TT a month ago, with no direct deposit info, as I directed my tax refund to next year's taxes.

This 22 minute video by a CPA walks a person completely through use of this hot-off-the-press Turbotax portal that JimGant identified above. Basically the portal files a simple 2019 return for you for free.  

But it appears you have to have a U.S. address in order to "register to use the Turbotax portal"....this is talked at the 15:56 point of the video....see snapshot at bottom.  And I'm not sure if earlier in the video where a person enters his/her address for the return whether a foreign address can be used as in the video the CPA used a U.S. address....but it did appear a entry for a foreign address might be available.   However, as mentioned, later on Turbotax says it needs a US address to register you to use their portal.  But still an excellent video....and in the video comments people are having success with the new Turbotax portal.

Requires a U.S. address to register....note below snapshot at the 15:56 of 22:04 point.image.png.65eafd607050a22b7b078f0b20fb7135.png

On 4/4/2020 at 5:06 PM, racyrick said:

I may be in "no man's" land.

I get SSA and I filed my 2018 taxes. I do not have a bank on file with the IRS, but I get my SSA thru Direct Express.

IRS does not use Direct Express for refunds but now they say SSA people will get their stimulus the same way as SSA pays.

I have 2 dependents of my wife and son, so I should get $2,900 total.

Will they use 2018 return and take the SSA info for my payment with Direct Express?

Will they just issue me a check instead of Direct Express?

Will they just give me $1,200 from SSA and I lose my 2 dependents?

Oh the bureaucracy of it all. No man's land for sure!

On 4/4/2020 at 6:15 PM, Pib said:

2 hours ago, racyrick said:

Hi Pib, fortunately both my wife and son have a social security number.

I have been using them on my taxes for 13 years now.

This is going to be problematic for sure.

I think you are in good shape as they will use your 2018 return and mail you a check for $2,900.  SSA data was only going to be used if a person did not have a 2018 or 2019 return on file.   Since you have a 2018 return on file and since your dependents have SSNs I think you will get a $2,900 Treasury check in the mail.   I think you now need to worry about finding a Thai bank to cash the Treasury check--but that's really a nice problem to have which shouldn't a problem at all.  ???? 

P.S.  But if I was you, I would still file a 2019 return in case some future stimulus payment (which some in Congress are talking about....it is election year you know) comes about...and maybe a 2019  return would be required to smooth the road to get that payment.    

21 hours ago, Pib said:

I think you are in good shape as they will use your 2018 return and mail you a check for $2,900.  SSA data was only going to be used if a person did not have a 2018 or 2019 return on file.   Since you have a 2018 return on file and since your dependents have SSNs I think you will get a $2,900 Treasury check in the mail.   I think you now need to worry about finding a Thai bank to cash the Treasury check--but that's really a nice problem to have which shouldn't a problem at all.  ???? 

P.S.  But if I was you, I would still file a 2019 return in case some future stimulus payment (which some in Congress are talking about....it is election year you know) comes about...and maybe a 2019  return would be required to smooth the road to get that payment.    

Good shape but not. I will get my payment by mail which will take forever during the current mail situation.

I also have to file my 2019 taxes by mail which will also take forever.

Lastly, I don't have any bank info to give them on my 2019 return as I only have Direct Express for my SSA and no bank in the US and as discussed before, they will not use the SSA info for direct deposit.

Happy for the money, but not happy as it will take forever.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Interesting quirk: I use Turbotax, but my tax returns don't have direct deposit account numbers, because I credit my refunds to next year's taxes. Ah, me sez, I'll just amend my 2019 tax return to have the refund sent to a now stipulated direct deposit account. WRONG! Amended tax returns can't be filed electronically, only by mail. Oh well. Anyway, the stimulus check, compared to my stock losses, is a joke that, if it gets lost in the mail, won't register on my IGAS meter.

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Only for those who are paying taxes and working it appears. My nephew already received his first check for $1200. 

It is possible for about anybody including people getting social security. See mine and other posts about it on the previous pages.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:04 AM, Pib said:

It's definitely going to be challenge to distribute the funds to many people as the last address or direct deposit acct on file with the US Treasury/IRS may no longer be accurate as many people change addresses and/or bank accts each year.  And I expect few immediately notify the IRS of an address change like the IRS prefers you do.

Instead people just wait until they file their next federal tax return with their new address and bank acct info for tax payment or refund.  And then you have many people that don't even need to file a federal return and may have moved several times since filing their last return.   Unfortunately, the bulk of these folks are in the lower income group which will probably have the most need for the money.

For me, I had to switch my mailing address in mid 2019 (didn't physically move....just had to change my mailing address which is what the IRS has on file for me).  While I immediately notified those federal agencies sending me monthly pension checks like SSA, mil retirement, etc., I did not notify the IRS....I figured I would wait until I filed my 2019 tax return sometime between Jan-Apr 2020.  Well, I've had my federal return done since mid Feb but sometimes being a procrastinator and waiting to triple check my return I just set on the return for a month.  Was letting it season on my computer hard drive so to say....open it occasionally to check some entries again...close it...and then repeat the cycle over the weeks.   Yeap, even though I was getting a refund I was procrastinating...in no rush to file even though I was getting a refund....may just wait until early April to file.   

However, but, when seeing the US govt is probably going to be sending out a healthy size one time payment--possibly a payment via snail mail...of around $1,000 as soon as early-mid April and knowing the IRS still had my old address on file I got motivated.  I finished-up my federal return mid last week and efiled which has my new address and latest bank acct info for direct deposit.   

So, I sure hope if they decide to use 2018 return income to determine the size of a person's payment I also sure hope they use my 2019 return efiled last week for my current address "if they decide to go the snail mail route for payment."  Now if they go the direct deposit route (which they probably will where ever possible) I'm good-to-go there whether using my 2018 or 2019 return. 

For people who are currently receiving monthly govt payments (SSA, mil retirement, civil service, VA, etc) I expect this upcoming corona virus one time payment will just be sent to the direct deposit acct/address on file currently being used for those payments as that gets the money distributed fast without address/bank acct errors causing the payment to be rejected...get lost in space.   And if a snail mail payment gets lost in space you can bet the govt is not going to quickly issue you a replacement check until after some extended waiting period in order to see if the snail mail check returns to them or don't get fraudulently cashed.

I expect we'll know by mid week what Congress decides on as they go thru last minute Democrat-Republican food fights and pork barrel add-ons in final tweaking of the size of the payment, size of unemployment benefits, loans for businesses, medical system funds, etc.  Hopefully, Donald won't throw a money wrench in the process as Congress decides as he's done enough damage already.  And of course the stock markets will tank further as they decide.

Not to be critical, but the story ran rather long. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Only for those who are paying taxes and working it appears. My nephew already received his first check for $1200. 

What do you mean by "first" check for $1200.  I know some politicians are talking maybe another stimulus round of check but that's just political talk right now.

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

What do you mean by "first" check for $1200.  I know some politicians are talking maybe another stimulus round of check but that's just political talk right now.

Not to be critical, but your story ran rather short.

• Like 1

I would have thought Donald and crew would have been all over FoxNews by now announcing the release of the first stimulus direct deposits/checks when they actually go out.  All my googling still indicates mid April before any stimulus $1,200 type payments go out.  But hey, maybe I missed Donald's latest memo.

Now $600/week unemployment/laid payments are supposed to already be available...maybe they are being paid in two weeks worth at a time.

So ,,, does anyone know if the IRS is going to put a page where people can enter their direct deposit banking details for this stimulus payment without the need to file a current or "simple" return (for people that have not provided such banking details already on returns)?

I was under the impression that the IRS was going to do that but since I haven't heard anything about that in a number of days, does that mean they aren't?

39 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So ,,, does anyone know if the IRS is going to put a page where people can enter their direct deposit banking details for this stimulus payment without the need to file a current or "simple" return (for people that have not provided such banking details already on returns)?

I am not typically required to file a tax return. Can I still receive my payment?

Yes. The IRS will use the information on the Form SSA-1099 or Form RRB-1099 to generate Economic Impact Payments to recipients of benefits reflected in the Form SSA-1099 or Form RRB-1099 who are not required to file a tax return and did not file a return for 2018 or 2019. This includes senior citizens, Social Security recipients and railroad retirees who are not otherwise required to file a tax return.

Since the IRS would not have information regarding any dependents for these people, each person would receive $1,200 per person, without the additional amount for any dependents at this time.

That was posted on the SSA website last week. Go back to page 10 and onward about it. If you have your social security payment direct deposit the $1200 will go to it.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

This "web portal" is apparently still in the process, as there are many of us filers who either don't have a tax refund coming or who put it towards next year's taxes -- and thus didn't put any direct deposit info on their tax return.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

This "web portal" is apparently still in the process, as there are many of us filers who either don't have a tax refund coming or who put it towards next year's taxes -- and thus didn't put any direct deposit info on their tax return.

So as far as you know have they actually committed to creating that portal so that we can enter our bank information, or is it still just a maybe?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not typically required to file a tax return. Can I still receive my payment?

Yes. The IRS will use the information on the Form SSA-1099 or Form RRB-1099 to generate Economic Impact Payments to recipients of benefits reflected in the Form SSA-1099 or Form RRB-1099 who are not required to file a tax return and did not file a return for 2018 or 2019. This includes senior citizens, Social Security recipients and railroad retirees who are not otherwise required to file a tax return.

Since the IRS would not have information regarding any dependents for these people, each person would receive $1,200 per person, without the additional amount for any dependents at this time.

That was posted on the SSA website last week. Go back to page 10 and onward about it. If you have your social security payment direct deposit the $1200 will go to it.

That's good but not totally clear in my case.

I filed in 2018 and will file for 2019 much later so they won't have my bank information.

The bank information is with S.S. though. It's not clear to me from that whether they would bother to look at S.S. for bank information in such a case.

I read it as if they have a 2018 or 2019 return from you they will use that to mail or direct deposit a payment to you....they will not look any further. 

However, if no 2018/2019 return on file then they will look to see if you are receiving SSA/RRB payments and then use that info for direct deposit/mail your payment.

I'm sure they much prefer to use 2018/2019 tax return data as it will be more accurate as to what amount your payment should be although it may not have any direct deposit info or even your "current" address if recently moving.  Or, if having direct deposit info which might be outdated because you closed that bank acct.  If the payment rejects from the bank then no problem as the IRS then mails the check to the last address you used with IRS which might also be invalid because your moved after filing...then the check kinda gets lost in space for months and months.    

Heck, I'm sure there will be some folks who have filed a 2019 return and got their refund have moved/closed the bank acct right after getting their refund....but hopefully they filed with the USPS to forward mail to their new US address for 6 months....but that don't help if you moved to a foreign address.  

And if IRS is truly going to start sending our payments by mid April which is only a week away, then they better get that portal open "now" to allow at least some people to update their direct deposit/address info before the payments start going out....and I wonder what validation will be required to update that info to confirm it's really you vs some identity theft bad guy trying to get your payment instead.     

Personally, I'm not holding my breath that any payments will go out by mid April.  

Edited by Pib

The way I read the 2020 CARES ACT is a 2019 return will first be looked for....if no 2019 return, then a 2018 return will be looked for....if no 2018 return, then SSA/RRB benefits.

Partial Quote from 2020 CARES ACT

image.png.55c027da62d45383dd628656392befc3.png

Go to this US Congress link to read full 2020 CARES Act.  Section 2201 talks the stimulus (rebate) payments.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/748/text?loclr=bloglaw

On 4/6/2020 at 12:41 AM, spidermike007 said:

I don't think so

We live in the US & none have gotten any checks yet & first round is scheduled to go on April 9th & that is direct deposits

Direct Deposit Payments to Go Out April 9

The IRS reportedly will start issuing electronic payments through direct deposit on April 9. Those payments should arrive in taxpayers' bank accounts by April 14.

First mailed checks are scheduled for April 24th last we heard for lowest income folks

IRS Schedule For Mailing Paper Checks

Taxpayer Income Date Check Mailed

$0 to $10,000

April 24

$10,001 to $20,000

May 1

$20,001 to $30,000

May 8

$30,001 to $40,000

May 15

$40,001 to $50,000

May 22

$50,001 to $60,000

May 29

$60,001 to $70,000

June 5

$70,001 to $80,000

June 12

$80,001 to $90,000

June 19

$90,001 to $100,000

June 26

$100,001 to $110,000

July 3

$110,001 to $120,000

July 10

$120,001 to $130,000

July 17

$130,001 to $140,000

July 24

$140,001 to $150,000

July 31

$150,001 to $160,000

August 7

$160,001 to $170,000

August 14

$170,001 to $180,000

August 21

$180,001 to $190,000

August 28

$190,001 to $200,000

September 4

All Others

September 11

Edited by meechai

Yea...you can be guaranteed that Donald and crew will be all over the news media announcing when the first stimulus direct deposit payments actually get transmitted.   I'm sure Donald is salivating in anticipation of being able to announce that.  

• Haha 1