Bike trip - Krabi to Kanchanaburi

Plan to do this with a couple of mates when the current mess is over.

Krabi to the west coast, up to Khao Lak, continue up north on route 4, not sure whether to take route 4 all the way up to Chomphon or cut east on 4006?

Anyone done this trip, there's some lovely beaches up the west coast and some great looking hotels on the beach but as always first hand reviews are better.

Thanks in advance for any input.

ps - i'm aware at this time of year we may get wet but not worried about it.

Done it many many times from krabi I normally go up over the mountain at phangha and come out onto highway 4 just above main part of Khao lak.

from then on any road you take to cut across east is ok.

im not to worried about khao lak as that’s a short ride from krabi and wouldn’t be looking to overnight stop there.

973C03F4-99F6-47DE-9980-A5741379CA76.thumb.png.ff14dc2f1d1925bb61dbd474b0adcd47.png

I have started going different ways now as done ranong route so much , I go more to  the right of Koh sok and coming out on highway 4 as far up as the day allows,,,normally make it up to somewhere around prachup Kiri Khan on the first day.

6D207683-4566-418C-B4F2-4D3F99451686.thumb.png.0d9ddb7de687ad3cd53fbccf640cce7a.png

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info, i'm in no hurry for the trip, main reason for Khao lak would be to see the Tsunami memorials and the beaches on the west coast for a night or two.

Any places you'd recommend are a 'must see' as i'm not that far south much, usually do trips up north.

Again, appreciate the input - thanks.

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Thanks for the info, i'm in no hurry for the trip, main reason for Khao lak would be to see the Tsunami memorials and the beaches on the west coast for a night or two.

Any places you'd recommend are a 'must see' as i'm not that far south much, usually do trips up north.

Again, appreciate the input - thanks.

Get a boat over to Koh Prathong ,it’s just above khao lak ,looks really nice something I always wanted to do but I normally just blasting through that way on my way up north.

personally don’t think there much at khao lak ,they are just long long open beaches nice enough but nothing really special,,,1 night be enough I would think.

lron Bridge
Rat Bumrung Rd, Bang Nai Si, Takua Pa District, Phang-nga 82110
https://goo.gl/maps/LuDPFdEpjP2xPoiL8

Pier to the islands
Khura, Khura Buri District, Phang-nga 82150
081 082 0660
https://goo.gl/maps/EWnatiC3F3WsoQwF8

Have to check that pier not sure there might be a different one ....Goran a guy that lives on phuket done an excellent report on it ,,can’t seem to find it at the Minuit.

ratchaprapra dam is defiantly worth a ride around too????

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

We stayed at Khao Lak for a few days a couple years before the Tsunami (Bang Niang Beach?).  Our favorite spot was a bit of Khao Lak-Lam Ru National Park on the south end of the big beach that touches the water.  There was a little secluded beach that was really neat, though probably not the same after the Tsunami. 

image.png.cd738db6f7f947be029ee6dfc0cdc13b.png   image.jpeg.4340471ae10458369b81b972f45d9508.jpegimage.png.fa06a732629f5d67f21b9ca04877b787.png

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 2