Car tyres....how many kms?

petermik

26 minutes ago, stouricks said:

96000 on the first original set on my 2012 Vigo. 85000 on next set of Maxxiss. Next set doing OK. Rotate them every 10000km service, and keep them at 29psi.

I used to replace Bridgestone with Bridgestone on my truck, but not cheap. I bought Maxxiss (cheaper) last time and they still look really good after 3 years.

I rotate every 10,000 kms. Costs peanuts and it gives my tire guy (who I trust explicitly) a good opportunity to whip them off and have a quick visual check all over. 

• Like 1

Tire wear has something to do with your driving style and maintaining the correct air pressure at all times, and not the amount of miles you put on them. Therefore I would judge the tires to go from safe to unsafe at the legal tire tread depth for cars which is in the UK and Europe 1.6mm across the central three-quarters of the tire.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The first set were not rotated and the front tyres were worn out by about 25,000 (the rear probably had another 25,000 available) the next set are at over 60,000 as they get rotated. They will have to be replaced soon due to age not wear, so there is definitely a point to rotating if your tread pattern allows it.

I have never rotated tyres on any vehicle I have driven, get a minimum of 50K km on any vehicle I have had. Your experience is different.

What I would like to see is some scientific explanation of why tyre rotation is necessary.

• Like 1

Of course there is another slant on when to change tyres …Just compare the hardness of the rubber on a three year old tyre to that of a new one.

Of course I know that tyre companies have a vested interest in getting you to change tyres more frequently, but they have a point.

Supposing you stop just ten feet sooner in an emergency … then you may save huge damage to your vehicle or save a life. Or someone may save your life.

There is loads on the internet about stopping distances and handling comparing new and old tyres, maybe worth a read.

Below is a something from Michelin … When you work out the daily cost of changing tyres more frequently, it is not a lot … food for thought.

tyres.PNG.3389f81e3bba5ee8da50f130b6706700.PNG

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have never rotated tyres on any vehicle I have driven, get a minimum of 50K km on any vehicle I have had. Your experience is different.

What I would like to see is some scientific explanation of why tyre rotation is necessary.

I thought it was due to the weight of the car and which wheels work the hardest. My car is a front wheel drive so the fronts work harder and also take more weight as the back end of the car is mostly empty. Also turning the steering wheel when parking. A lot of people don't let the tyres rotate providing more punishment to the fronts. I've decided not to bother rotating though as the heat kills my tyres here before I have chance to.

29 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Its an Up to You imo. But dont foreget a Re balance the 4 each time.

I got 7 years and 120,000K from the original Bridgestone tyres on my Vigo. They still had lots of tread and there was no cracking at the sides.

My wife's brother said I should change them as they were dangerous. All the farangs I showed them to said they looked fine.

The wife refused to even get in the car until the tyres were changed...cost me 25000 baht for a new set or 4.

Too many variables. I would say as long as there is legal tread on the tyres and they are no more than 5 years old you're probably OK. 50 k does sound about at the top limit of what you might expect I would say. If in doubt drop into a tyre shop and ask them what they think. Tyres are date stamped and tread and wall cracks are evident. Remember the tyres are the only thing connecting you to the road.

Just put new tyres on my <deleted>ter,

7 yrs old and 110,000km.

Only reason I replaced all 4 (other than age) was one was destroyed with a knife I ran over and it penetrated the tread and proceeded to carve up the inside if the tyre as I had to drive on it for a few km before I could safely pull over to change it.

Biggest thing to consider is the age of the tyre expiry date is written on the tyre wall normally 5 yrs from manufacture date, doesn't matter how many KM have been done could be 100km could be 100000k km they must be changed at expiry date.

4 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

If in doubt drop into a tyre shop and ask them what they think. 

The only time I've ever had a tyre shop tell me I didn't need to replace my tyres was when I went for a new battery and my car already had brand new tyres on.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, petermik said:

I got just 40-50,000 kms out of a set of tyres (Bridgestone) here....is this about right/normal..

I am over 70,000 on the original tires when purchased the car. Will not do many more but check them regularly.

As an aside, a rouge at the 50,000 Toyota service tried to get the wife to pay for new ones then.

16 minutes ago, alien365 said:

The only time I've ever had a tyre shop tell me I didn't need to replace my tyres was when I went for a new battery and my car already had brand new tyres on.

So true...

Had a guy in BQuick try to tell my wife that the windscreen wiper blades needed changing (done them myself the week before) and that the oil needed changing as "it is black", had about 2000km on that oil.

She declined his generous offers... !!

• Haha 1

50.000 km is what I usually get from my truck tires, and I don;t buy the expensive brands, as I rather go for Firestone or Dunlop at half the price of a Bridgestone.

But mileage is subject to so many factors. I have seen post from people who get over 100.000 km out of their tires, but I think that is an exception.

My Michelin tires say air pressure should be 35 psi I keep 37 psi and my tires still look like they’re brand new if your tire pressure is low you get worse gas mileage and more tire where I check my tires every three weeks and I always keep two PSI more than the minimum of 35 that they recommend the tires last twice as long TIT

19 hours ago, Pilotman said:

My first set from new did no more than 25,000km.  This replacement set seem to be doing much better than that, but the side walls are definitely wearing faster than the tread. I doubt that I will get much more than 35,000 out of this set. I don't rotate them either, I don't really see the point. 

My 5 year old Forza just had it's tyres changed for the first time at 38.000 ks and new brakeshoes fitted at 32.000 Ks.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

So true...

Had a guy in BQuick try to tell my wife that the windscreen wiper blades needed changing (done them myself the week before) and that the oil needed changing as "it is black", had about 2000km on that oil.

She declined his generous offers... !!

BQuicks like 90 Day report. Sit down please where you live, telephone number, Vehicle No ,Make , Model how can i help you as your standing there with chosen wiper blades from display. I find a Fiitter 5 Mins please wait. then printout bill thing on a go slow. Jeez its BSlow to me. Just popped em on in the Car Park myself

It's not always about tread.  Recently changed mine.  There was plenty of tread left and visually they looked good.  However, tyres become hard in this climate and therefore lose their grip as mine had done.  A couple of emergency braking episodes confirmed that.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Susco said:

50.000 km is what I usually get from my truck tires, and I don;t buy the expensive brands, as I rather go for Firestone or Dunlop at half the price of a Bridgestone.

But mileage is subject to so many factors. I have seen post from people who get over 100.000 km out of their tires, but I think that is an exception.

On our Isuzu, got 120 K and did nothing special on a set of Bridgestone. Truck has 150,xxxkm and still on original brakes. No brag, just facts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

On our Isuzu, got 120 K and did nothing special on a set of Bridgestone. Truck has 150,xxxkm and still on original brakes. No brag, just facts.

I didn't say that people who do more than 100k km on their tires are bragging, I called it an exception, because mileage is subject to many factors. Be there drive style, roads used and maintenance just to name a few.

As for your brakes. My 10 year old navara has 198.000 km and is still on it's original brakes.

Had them taken apart to clean a few months ago, and was told that no replacement needed yet. I also believe that most people don't get that mileage out of their brakes.

Car I drive daily where I works. Bridgestones 60,000 kms.

For me in Thailand the tires (tyres for the Brits here) never wear out they get hard. When I replace them everyone thinks I'm mad.

Check for hard rubber, stopping distances with emergency braking and look for minature cracks in the side walls.

Edited by maprao

On my 3rd set and 198000kms on the clock.

The current ones are only about 25000 or so kms old.

Toyota 3.0 Hilux used mainly on roads but with the occasional job onto the farm when planting and harvesting seasons are upon us.