Booze sales resume

champers

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Just walked into the wholesaler next to Friendship Supermarket /Dolphin Roundabout. An hour ago they had stock and it was quite quiet.

Sorry, my bad. I meant Best Supermarket next to Dolphin ....

2 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

That guy at the front got 5 boxes out of the 48 on the pallet - greedy f u kker

don't understand the feeding frenzy to be honest... took a 1 minute phone call this morning to have a few boxes beer delivered.... they even stacked it in my spare room !!

• Like 1

Just went to Foodland to get some wine for a friends birthday ,bloody heck the booze aisle was jammed packed, some desperate people. on another note ,my wife looks after some properties for old clients that live abroad ,just went to one that a client has moved out of ,opened the fridge and they had left 3 large bottles of beer . that should last the wife and me a few weeks????

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Today will go down in history as

' The great scrum of 2020 '

One of the benefits of not living in a big city is that you don't have to face these unseemly melees. It was pretty dignified at our local wholesaler this morning and I got the wife a 12 bottle box of Chang for 584 baht without having to fight for it plus something for myself.

584 baht ... i ended up getting mine for 569.

• Like 1

When you see the frenzy in some of these places, it hardly matters what you are gonna pay for it.

900+ baht for a crappy box of red, a mere 3 litres

500+ baht for a shi  ttty 2 litre bottle of white

I only bought it to celebrate the relief at having this nonsensical ban being lifted. With the pressure of avoiding the virus who needs the extra pressure of worrying whether one can have a drink or not. Why treat the nation as if they are all irresponsible alkies?

I realise every baht counts if you're a small reseller but is Makro that much cheaper than the smaller wholesale outlets? I paid 609 for a box of 12 large Leo's this morning close to home and minus the scrum, I've never been to Makro. 

18 minutes ago, kinyara said:

I realise every baht counts if you're a small reseller but is Makro that much cheaper than the smaller wholesale outlets? I paid 609 for a box of 12 large Leo's this morning close to home and minus the scrum, I've never been to Makro. 

Could be the volumes available in Makro are larger than anywhere else.

32 minutes ago, kinyara said:

13 minutes ago, champers said:

Makro price on 12 large Leos 609 baht for quite a while now. Big C generally the same or has been 614 baht at times. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, topt said:

Makro price on 12 large Leos 609 baht for quite a while now. Big C generally the same or has been 614 baht at times. 

Thanks for the info. I only came across my wholesaler in Jomtien the day before the ban so wasn't sure how competitive they were. Both that time and this morning I was the only customer and plenty of stock, that said they were preparing for a rush today as they were stacking boxes of the main brands on the pavement outside kerbside under a sun cover arrangement. ????

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

don't understand the feeding frenzy to be honest... took a 1 minute phone call this morning to have a few boxes beer delivered.... they even stacked it in my spare room !!

Because  most people are basically selfish sheep who just follow the herd. Remember the run on toilet tissue of all things? Its all rather pathetic. That's why the World's  media have such a field day with scaring everyone about the Pandemic and why social media  has such an addicted following,  It should be called 'sheep call', or 'Herd Face'. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, kinyara said:

my leo was 610 from my local mom and pop shop.............delivered.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, champers said:

I purchased a few boxes of leo this morning... owner told me I was buying the last of a 500 box delivery she recieved at 8am.......... she had 2 more deliveries coming... I bought mine at 12pm.

7 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Because  most people are basically selfish sheep who just follow the herd. Remember the run on toilet tissue of all things? Its all rather pathetic. That's why the World's  media have such a field day with scaring everyone about the Pandemic and why social media  has such an addicted following,  It should be called 'sheep call', or 'Herd Face'. 

was there a run on toilet paper ?....

Sorry I don't buy or use it  so don't know.

FWIW I purchased a pallet of Leo from my lounge... was delivered within the hour.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

well done I say

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Quoted something similar a few days ago about the world wide senior country sheep operators and the herds of over educated staff in the same categories  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kinyara said:

That's a good price. 

Lol - just saw a Thai cartoon. Guy sitting on a sidewalk (no mask), angry because the gov't wasn't giving him money to buy food. Another character (also no mask) tells him that ban on buying alcohol is lifted.

In the next pane, the first guy is seen (mask on) fighting with a bunch of other Thais (all masked) while trying to load his cart with cases of beer.

The gist of the cartoon being of course that a lot of people that are complaining about the gov't not giving them money, seem to have lots of money - as soon as they can buy alcohol again.

I did a short post about hearing thunder the other day only to find out it was a stampede of expats rushing to be first in line when they started selling booze again and it seems I wasn't far off !

Wonder how long it will take before the road death stats take a dramatic upswing ? (Not more than a few days I imagine.)