U.S. CDC reports 1,122,486 coronavirus cases, 65,735 deaths

webfact

U.S. CDC reports 1,122,486 coronavirus cases, 65,735 deaths

2020-05-03T220335Z_2_LYNXMPEG420PK_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-USA-NEW-YORK.JPG

A health worker walks at the Samaritan's Purse Emergency Field Hospital in Central Park, during the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the Manhattan borough of New York City, New York, U.S., May 3, 2020. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz

(Reuters) - The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Sunday reported 1,122,486 U.S. cases of the new coronavirus, an increase of 29,671 cases from its previous count, and said the number of deaths had risen by 1,452 to 65,735.

The CDC reported its tally of cases of the respiratory illness known as COVID-19, caused by the novel coronavirus, as of 4 p.m. EDT (2000 GMT) on Saturday, compared with its count a day earlier. (https://bit.ly/2IVY1JT)

The CDC figures do not necessarily reflect cases reported by individual states. The tally reported over the weekend is preliminary and will be updated on Monday.

(Reporting by Rama Venkat in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-04

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, keith101 said:

With a lot of places opening up and social distancing going out the window the second wave and much higher numbers are on the way .

Is that your opinion or a scientific hypothesis"much higher numbers"

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, keith101 said:

With a lot of places opening up and social distancing going out the window the second wave and much higher numbers are on the way .

Unfortunately Keith I’m 100% in agreement with you I understand the urgency but it’s a shame to squander what has been gained I’m personally going to be as proactive as possible protecting my family and loved ones 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Siamjim said:

numbers near the CDC yearly common flu and influenza 

Numbers near the very top end of  annual flu deaths in 2 months with unprecedented lockdown.... yeah just normal flu...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sujo said:

There are already laws in place to reduce traffic incidents. But there are still idiots that dont obey them and they are punished. Perhaps stronger punishment will help.

Unfortunately this virus kills those that dont even go out due to the stupidity of others that think its all about nothing.

It is a precedent; now the government can close down society for any reason that is for societies benefit. Ozone layer, global warming, anything they say they can close it all down. It is all at their discretion from now on.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, IAMHERE said:

It is a precedent; now the government can close down society for any reason that is for societies benefit. Ozone layer, global warming, anything they say they can close it all down. It is all at their discretion from now on.

It always has been.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I will avoid going to the US for a long time, and I will be wary of any Americans

that travel to Canada for the next 2 years. The way they protest and not act

serious about the virus is disgusting. I guess they feel macho to dress in their

military type garb, and storm their government places and yell in the faces of the

security forces or staff that work there. The ones in California were equally

as disgusting to watch. Good luck America, you certainly need it. losing

200 thousand or more people seem like a situation to take seriously don't

you.  I will go to Asia twice before I cross my near by border.

Geezer

Good idea. We'll miss you at Walmart. No stimulus check for you. 

• Haha 1

I am just watching the US news and they are saying up to 3000 deaths projected

per day. I believe that they are expecting well over 150 thousand to die, and maybe more.

2020 will not be a good tourist year for the USA, for sure, only the foolish will

tak the chance to go visit there.  I would take my chances in Asia first.

Geezer