how do you fight a snake?

BananaBandit

Leave them alone.  Snakes are usually more scared of you than the other way around.  Left alone the snake will want to leave the area once it knows you are there.  Most snake bites in Australia happen while people are trying to kill them.  Although an exception is a female Australian Tiger snake in season which will protect its territory, usually around a water hole.  Just leave them alone...good chance they're not poisonous in any case. 

• Like 1

I have a house on concrete columns so I usually leave the snakes alone. If one gets too close to where I want to be, I squirt it with the hose from a safe distance, it always seems to make it dart for the nearest exit. I'm always prepared to get off my marks if it turns around though.

A cobra’s first instinct is always to flee, they will only become aggressive when cornered. 

The risk of getting bit isn’t worth it. There’s more than enough snake charmers that will come and pick it up and then release it back into the wild which is a much better option than killing it.

In case you live in Bangkok, there’s a guy called David Frohlich who will gladly come and pick it up. He’s very experienced with venomous snakes of all kind. He’ll gladly get the snake from your place or get someone to do it, if he’s busy himself. He’s got a snake rescue service company or something along the lines and the service is free. His Instagram is @davidfrohlich_photography

In regards to whether they can spit, there’s two species of cobras native to Thailand that do spit, but only one of them is an actual spitting cobra, Naja siamensis, a.k.a Indochinese spitting cobra. This one is very accurate with the spitting. The other one is Naja kaouthia a.k.a. the monocled cobra, this one can spit, but it doesn’t do so commonly and it’s not that accurate, having said that, if it’s close to your face for whatever reason it will most likely not miss your face.

Edited by pacovl46
  • Thanks 1

we called 1669 after finding snake urine dripping from the ceiling. 
They came, opened the space up, caught the snakes,
wrapped them in a bag and took them away to the snake poison farm they said,
(or maybe to the kitchen, I did not check)

IF you want to handle a snake get one of those 2 - 3 meter poles with a wire loop to trap it by the neck.
but as said before, better to leave it to the professionals.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 10:14 AM, cornishcarlos said:

Maybe a ladder ?

I really don't think so. I watched one climb up the corner of a building a couple of years ago. Two floors and then settle its self on the balcony. 

If you have the right equipment and you are trained in catching snakes and there are no other animals like dogs around then ok catch and relocate the snake but if you do not have the right equipment or trained then you leave the snake alone and remove any other animal like a dog from the area and the snake will leave but a dog will annoy the snake and then the snake will become aggressive and will attack. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 11:20 AM, Moonlover said:

Try a camera. Photograph it, do an ID check on-line and discover whether it is potentially harmful or not. If it's harmless, as indeed most are, just leave it alone. If it is venomous follow @Crossy's advise above. Do NOT try and tackle it yourself.

And ignore most of the rubbish that's been posted above!

There’s a Snake group on fb Snakes of Isaan and another group maybe Snakes if Thailand it’s in English  , they really crank on you for killing them but they can identify 

10 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

There’s a Snake group on fb Snakes of Isaan and another group maybe Snakes if Thailand it’s in English  , they really crank on you for killing them but they can identify 

Long handled shovel is the weapon of choice in rural Australia.

38 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

Long handled shovel is the weapon of choice in rural Australia.

We used a 7 foot long piece of barbed wire with the barbs removed apart from the last foot or so. Wacking the snake broke its back and if it managed to escape the barbs had cut the skin and the meat ants would finish it off.

3 minutes ago, Farma said:

We used a 7 foot long piece of barbed wire with the barbs removed apart from the last foot or so. Wacking the snake broke its back and if it managed to escape the barbs had cut the skin and the meat ants would finish it off.

I am unaware of this method, but if it works it works, a good snake in Australia is a dead snake.

2 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Well.. it was the action of your dog that made it dangerous..  It is your responsibility to control your dog.. Trying to kill it puts you both in danger.. 

Yes, it was surely the action of my dog, but I came upon this in progress... and I would take responsibility if my dog did any damage but he never did... he is free to run around on his own turf... sometimes things happen. We have children running around too and I am sure he saw it as part of his job to alert us to snakes... he already had lost one eye and that probably to a snake... 

I once sliced the head neatly off a snake using a sickle.  The writhing body tried to strike when I nudged it.  Then the severed head actually bit the body and the body tried to strike the head.

It was a copperhead snake in the U.S., somewhat poisonous.  I would have left it alone except I was too close when I spotted it.

Yesterday I came across a 60 cm or so black rat snake while foraging in the woods.  It was about a meter away, stretched out and laying very still.  They are harmless and I just backed away quietly.  Pretty creature.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Crossy said:

The advice in Post #2 still holds good. Call your local snake man.

Nip over to the village office now and get his number.

i have just ascertained the number of my local snake catcher. 

thank you for your suggestions. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 12:58 PM, gerry1953 said:

If it becomes a repeat problem buy a 48"+ snake catching device from Lazada for about 1,300 baht.  I don't hurt them but place them over the wall into the heavy bush.  Most are harmless, some  are mildly venomous and a few are very venomous.  You can always go online and find cheap plastic pipe types that snare the snake. Check out one of the snake sites from Thailand and maybe you won't be so afraid of them.  If I get a highly venomous one I may want to relocate it to a better area.

snake catcher.jpg

4 foot long !   How long is your arm ?  A snake can cover that distance in no time.   What will you do with the snake once you have caught it

Read and listen to Crossy ...

"dark-colored snake" what does that mean?  there is a snake ID Facebook group in Thailand that will help you know what it is. Most are harmless and left alone will just disappear. Killing something because you don't understand it is just ignorance. Photo it, post on the FB group, and you will probably find it's a keelback which are spotted almost daily.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 12:58 PM, gerry1953 said:

If it becomes a repeat problem buy a 48"+ snake catching device from Lazada for about 1,300 baht.  I don't hurt them but place them over the wall into the heavy bush.  Most are harmless, some  are mildly venomous and a few are very venomous.  You can always go online and find cheap plastic pipe types that snare the snake. Check out one of the snake sites from Thailand and maybe you won't be so afraid of them.  If I get a highly venomous one I may want to relocate it to a better area.

snake catcher.jpg

This. I bought one from Lazada and have used it a few times being careful not to squeeze hard to avoid damaging the snake... so gently does it and over the wall into the scrub behind my house.

I had a 1m+ snake skittering up the patio towards me and my wife while we stay at her Mom's house up North waiting for Covid19 to subside. No problem, picked up my chair and bashed its head in with the chair leg. Picked the dead snake with a shovel and threw it into the river across the street for the crocodiles to enjoy. Bye Bye snake.

The poisonous snake you kill today may not bite a child, adult or dog tomorrow. I'm not against snakes, I lived in Texas and had rattlers in my yard a few times, but some here just don't belong. Non poisonous or mildly aren't that bad, because they keep the rodent population down, but the very venomous don't belong near houses. If you can't move them and have identified them, they need to go.Living here is a good reason to have one of the catchers available, and then you can finish them off with a shovel or other long handled tool. (or brick)