Poor exchange rates

Today we live in uncertain times with the u.s dollar in free fall along with sterling and other currencies around the world,.yet the Thai baht remains as strong as ever ! Current accounts are holding the baht strong according to several reports. Yet tourism and trade are struggling - went into several exchange booths earlier today sterling 38.10 with Thai exchange in ubon and the best being 38.80 with twelve victory / shopping mall. I’m confused and disappointed when i change my money of late and don’t understand why the baht has gathered momentum. Clearly the trade war between China and the u.s has played a huge part in this and if things don’t change i cannot see myself living comfortably as i once did here in Thailand or maybe it’s time for change. Maybe I need to move my family back to the u.k until the exchange rates return to some normality,.Would be interested in hearing from people who understand the markets to explain why this is happening when the rest of the world is struggling,. Kind regards Steve V

Edited by CharlieH
format corrected
  • Like 2

CHF going down against THB over the last weeks because of massive interventions by the Swiss National Bank who thinks the Swiss Franc is to strong and hurting our economy, but with 34.2 still much higher than around 5 months ago with 30.2 or 1y ago with 31.3

Euro today 34.7, 5m ago low at 33.1 and 1y ago at 35.4

As @Pib said, no free falls except steady decline of your Brexit money, but maybe you should also check your spending ????

• Like 2

Thanks for reply’s guys,. appreciate Brexit been a major financial headache for many and I’m sure it will get worse before it gets better.Maybe a slight exaggeration regards to the dollar plummeting but then it’s been in free fall with the pound for time - today’s rate 1.22 good old days 2 dollars to the pound well and truly gone.

-

suppose i was spoilt when first arriving in Thailand 72 baht to £ back then was a partygoer and just lived life to the max. Today still enjoy life and love Thailand especially since moving to ubon which is laid back with friendly people and less bars ( only couple ) unlike pattaya and Bangkok ... ringing the bell & drinking the bar dry ( sound like a alcoholic ????????  suppose the good old days are over,. But i wouldn’t change anything as love my Thai family and the people I’ve become friends with... now that is priceless regardless of the exchange rates. Enjoy guys and stay safe ???????? 

• Like 2

Good luck with your decision about going back to the UK.

There are many Thais who remember the exchange rate before 1997. IMHO the goal is to get back to that point. Despite the lack of tourist and the hit the economy will take, the big giveaways in the West are severely affecting their currency values.  Mind you, the US Dollar should see the most effect. They are blatantly throwing out the money.  It will severely devalue the dollar in the long run because it's the most obvious. Perception still means a lot in any money market.

• Like 1

If the current exchange rate makes living in Thailand to expensive for you, how much do you expect you'll save, flying your family back and living in the UK? 

I've been sending the same amount of USD's from my SS payment each month to Thailand for the past 5 years to support our family of four. Since paying off our car loan in Dec, 11,00 baht carries over into the next month. I know for a fact that it would cost more to live in the US. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Paul DS said:

The "rich" Chinese will be back in a few weeks time.

If they are allowed out that is, the Chinese economy sank by -9.8% for the 1st quarter and the Chinese are being encouraged to holiday at home. A few rich Chinese won't save Thailand's tourism. Only a weaker baht will stimulate mass tourism.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

If the current exchange rate makes living in Thailand to expensive for you, how much do you expect you'll save, flying your family back and living in the UK? 

I've been sending the same amount of USD's from my SS payment each month to Thailand for the past 5 years to support our family of four. Since paying off our car loan in Dec, 11,00 baht carries over into the next month. I know for a fact that it would cost more to live in the US. 

At 32.05 USD, USA would cost more to live in.  Although a former expat moved back to  eastern Tennessee, bought 3 BR house in the hills, 12 acres for $120k, with $600 in taxes. For me—another 10% loss on USD—we head for the TN hills, too.

6 hours ago, baansgr said:

When the truth be known the Baht will collapse...along with the Euro..Sterling and Greenback will be the strongest currencies to have

good luck with that prediction.   I really do think the opposite will happen.  

37 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

At 32.05 USD, USA would cost more to live in.  Although a former expat moved back to  eastern Tennessee, bought 3 BR house in the hills, 12 acres for $120k, with $600 in taxes. For me—another 10% loss on USD—we head for the TN hills, too.

Tennessee has the highest sales tax rate of any state in the US. Compared to my home state of Missouri, its median wage is 10% lower and rental costs 10% higher. My ex had relatives that moved 3 miles from a suburb south of Memphis across the State Line Road  to Southaven, Ms., because the taxes on income, consumer goods, property taxes and personal property were lower or non-existent. 

I pay 749 baht for 1-Gb internet. In the US it would be a minimum $80 for a lower speed. 

Electric bill 1800-2000 baht, US $100+.  Water 150 baht a month, US $30+ with sewer including trash pick-up costing the same. Car insurance 9250 baht, US $900-1200 a year. A haircut is 100 baht or less, US $15+. My cell phone usage is less than 100 baht a month. In the US, that wouldn't pay the taxes that the carriers charge to use their service. The list could go on..

On 5/15/2020 at 4:52 PM, Steve Vincent said:

the u.s dollar in free fall

the US dollar is actually up against the baht in the recent past.. look at a chart... 

a sometimes difficult and for some reason unexpected, by some, part of living in another country is the volatility that can be experienced in currency markets...

you and I can't crack it or predict but have to roll with it... I feel bad for the Brits who retired here getting 70+ to the pound and now are getting 38... that is steep and would have been hard to predict... 

Currency fluctuations will not be a factor if you move back but taxes and inflation will be... [not to mention weather] 

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

good luck with that prediction.   I really do think the opposite will happen.  

Just trying to be positive in these trying times...personally I've invested in Rhodesian Dollars

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

Good question,in truth I’m not sure,all I can tell you the missus will earn good money and I’m probably likely to catch covid19 ... joking aside I’m in a catch 24 whilst in Thailand I’m living on savings whilst back in the u.k I’d have a reasonably well paid job,apart from that there’s not much difference ....hope everything works out for you and the family ????