Chlorine is not a cure all - Thai academic adds fuel to Covid-19 and swimming debate

webfact

Chlorine is not a cure all - Thai academic adds fuel to Covid-19 and swimming debate

6pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

A leading Thai expert and doctor has rowed in in Facebook with comments adding fuel to the debate about Covid-19 and swimming.

After regulations at condo swimming pools were eased last week, Dr Thira Woratanarat of Chulalongkorn University's faculty if medicine said that swimming pools can spread infections associated with bacteria, viruses and protozoa as well as a host of other problems. 

The reasons for this, he said, were threefold:

Swimming pools meant that people congregated, users may not be hygienic and above all chlorine was not a cure all. 

Swimmers risk getting Hepatitis A, enterovirus, adenovirus and norovirus. 

The doctor also revealed that coronavirus is indeed a virus and the public must not be negligent. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-27

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Swimming pools meant that people congregated, users may not be hygienic and above all chlorine was not a cure all. 

Massive assumption, which has caused the closure in the past. Since the easing of rules on 17 May, I have been swimming in my condo pool (which is 25m long and 15m wide) every other day, with my partner. There has never ever been anyone else at the poolside "congregating", (or even using one of the sun loungers). On one occasion there was one other swimmer also doing lengths/lane swimming. She is 94 years old.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'd suggest this doctor probably purchased his qualification, as he clearly knows SFA about the physics and chemistry of chlorine in a swimming pool. Being a medico doesn't qualify one in water chemistry.

He revealed coronavirus is indeed a virus? I think most people can work that out from the suffix or moiety, take your pick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

chlorine was not a cure all. 

Did he really say that?! Nobody ever said chlorine was a cure, it does however kill viruses and bacteria. Or maybe he was mixing it up with hydroxychloroquine???

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The doctor also revealed that coronavirus is indeed a virus and the public must not be negligent. 

Again, did he really say that? It's just so stupid it's hard to believe, but then again TIT. "Academic".

• Haha 1

Actually he is right & you are wrong, so give him a break.

I have worked with swimming pools in 5 countries (hotels, not apartments) & a pool where the 

serviceman gets a bit slack can be lethal, in particular in warmer countries.

Always check "available chlorine befor swimming. Beware of a pool where they chlorinate in the morning

as the sun kills it at an alarming rate before it can do it's asigned work.

Seen many  salt water pools where the levels are downright dangerous in spite of the salt which often is also dangerously low, & they did not even have a PH test kit, along with the fuse being blown for 5 days on the chlorinator

Without getting involved in the social distancing debate as again he is correct that people do congregate around pools (That is a condo management problem), running a safe swimming pool is a lot of work.

The folks who complain about everthing that Thais do wrong are the same ones complaining about not being able to swim, Think about it ?

• Sad 2

The mind boggles....not so much about using chlorine correctly in public pools but the fact this so called doctor has the audacity to comment on a subject I probably know more about.  If he is a good doctor and he can diagnose medical problems and prescribe a course of medication to help the patient ...great,  that is terrific! But leave the problems of swimming pools to the experts....I know I  do! 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

users may not be hygienic

Perish the thought, and I am glad I cannot swim - urinating, defecating, spitting, athletes foot and other fungal infections, also "other" body fluids in the water. Yuck!!

16 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Please specify how much is "enough chlorine"?

Good question. Did a google search and they didn't want to say and/or had an "I'm over 13" confirm gate. I reckon a pint could do if you drink it, or you could always gas yourself. See WWI for details

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

If a swimming pool is not maintained/chlorinated properly then those viruses may survive and spread to users especially in indoor pools but most likely not if everything is properly done .

There is risk that you cut yourself on a rusty piece of metal, might get hit on your motorcycle, the person who just sneezed might have TB, the person who prepared your food might have malaria, the mosquito that just bit you might have dengue fever.  In Thailand, an average of 56 people die in traffic accidents every day and they have for years.  And the biggest worry is if the pool might not be properly chlorinated?  

bd11cffd2d9b44554e3553466e9a478b.jpg

Your pool should be safe if the active chlorine level is kept within 1.5 to 3.0 parts per million and the pH level is somewhere around 7.4.  

Unless the pool is tested daily and chemicals adjusted daily, and dead chlorine removed by "shocking" with muriatic acid, those parameters will not be met. Salt water pools are more automated but the same numbers apply.

I have only dealt with one condo in TH but my involvement went on for years and condo staff only cared about how much money they could siphon out of the chemicals budget, how much kickback they could extort from the pool cleaner.  

At last we know. Corona virus is a virus. Now we need to know if norovirus and the others he mentioned are also viruses.

Cheese and biscuits, no wonder doctors and scientists have a bad name.

chlorine may not be the panacea for swimming pools, but previous posters are right. If you ingest sufficient chlorine, or inhale sufficient chlorine gas, you'll be virus free for the rest of your very short life.

I would like to know the density of the SARS-CoV-2 in water needed to cause an infection. A couple of viruses in thousands of liter of water most likely does not cross the bar. 

The doorknob at the door to the pool is far more dangerous. As are all the other elevator buttons, etc.

Pool parties are another thing. That's just basic failure at social distancing. 

I've never seen a crowded swimming pool at a Thai Condo. In fact all I have seen were largely empty. 

And certainly no "congregating" around them. Thais hate the sun and aten't in general fobd of swimming pools. 

• Like 1