Protests, looting erupt in Minneapolis over racially charged killing by police

webfact

3 hours ago, Heppinger said:

Again, what did he die of? Did he choke to death or was it heart failure or something else?

I think we'll find that being deprived of air for nearly 10 minutes would do for any of us especially those who are getting on for 50 years of age as Floyd was.

Paramedics tried to help him but he expired either en route to or upon arrival at the hospital.

• Like 1

The now ex-cop whose actions are responsible for all this has just been arrested. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/may/29/george-floyd-killing-protests-minneapolis-minnesota-us-twitter-donald-trump-latest-news-live?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

“Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who has been identified as the man who put his knee on George Floyd’s neck, has been arrested in connection to Floyd’s death.

John Mark Harrington, the Minnesota department of public safety commissioner, announced the news shortly after a press conference about the Minneapolis protests ended. 

Harrington did not offer any information about the specific charges filed against Chauvin, and it’s unclear whether the three other officers who were also fired after Floyd’s death will be arrested.“

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Tie Dye Samurai said:

He has one knee on the back of his neck...the other knee across the middle of his back...obviously with substantial weight on his throat and lungs...with the man pleading over and over again "I cant breathe"...with the crowd pleading over and over again that he couldn't breathe...until he was unconscious...you know how he died...you can throw up anything you want to about coroner's reports and whatever peripheral you choose...but deep in your heart....you know how he died and it was wrong...

Stop defending it, stop rationalizing it and be strong enough to admit what has happened. The man was handcuffed and helpless and it would have been no problem for the FOUR officers to bind his legs and throw him in the back of the squad car. This went on for more than 9 minutes.....this is at the very least manslaughter and it could be argued that with the amount of time that passed while the officers had this man in this compromised position that there is implied malice aforethought.

floyd.jpg

I am making no assumptions about what happened. I believe in reasonable doubt. As I said before if the cause of death is strangulation, or broken neck or from what the officers did it will be easily detected by the medical examiner. 

My main question not that what any of us thinks is important, is why would 4 police officers, randomly take some dude off the street and put him down and choke him to death, in daylight, in front of people for no reason? 

Racism? Okay, sure but why in broad daylight? I am thinking that he may have died as a result but am leaning towards they weren't trying to kill him. If you aren't okay with me giving my opinion on the matter you have to live with it. I have neither condemned or acquitted anybody. 

I have seen people taken down by the police many times and this scene isn't unusual. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The now ex-cop whose actions are responsible for all this has just been arrested. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/may/29/george-floyd-killing-protests-minneapolis-minnesota-us-twitter-donald-trump-latest-news-live?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

“Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who has been identified as the man who put his knee on George Floyd’s neck, has been arrested in connection to Floyd’s death.

John Mark Harrington, the Minnesota department of public safety commissioner, announced the news shortly after a press conference about the Minneapolis protests ended. 

Harrington did not offer any information about the specific charges filed against Chauvin, and it’s unclear whether the three other officers who were also fired after Floyd’s death will be arrested.“

I wonder why he was arrested and why it is unclear? If he was arrested for murder they could just say it. I am guessing it is a lesser charge to begin with simply to put him in jail while they figure out the rest. 

• Like 2

Just now, Cryingdick said:

I wonder why he was arrested and why it is unclear? If he was arrested for murder they could just say it. I am guessing it is a lesser charge to begin with simply to put him in jail while they figure out the rest. 

As long as he is properly investigated and suffers the full rigour of the law if found guilty, it’s all good. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I am making no assumptions about what happened. I believe in reasonable doubt. As I said before if the cause of death is strangulation, or broken neck or from what the officers did it will be easily detected by the medical examiner.

There may be reasonable doubt.  But if any member of the public was found standing over a dead body, they'd be taken into custody immediately while the investigation proceeded.  It's the double standard that's fueling a lot of the anger.  They should have never been allowed to leave the scene except under arrest.  Under what charge?  Pick one.  They can always modify the charges later as evidence rolls in and is evaluated.

Glad to see he's finally in custody.  But the horse has already bolted.  Plus, there's 3 more cops involved.

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, twocatsmac said:

They even burnt the library down, no better than the nazis.

A scum city indeed, not a minority, thousands are at it. 

I must have missed the part Nazi's burnt down a library.  Was it in schindlers list or the boy in the striped pyjamas?

25 minutes ago, EricTh said:

It's horrible that he died that way but why are the police arresting CNN reporters too?

Because they are The Racist Underpaid Cop's Of America. Its a thankless job, but Republicans need jobs too you know.

Edited by RadicalVestor
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, RadicalVestor said:

Because they are The Racist Underpaid Cop's Of America. Its a thankless job, but Republicans need jobs too you know.

They have great pensions after 20 years and unlimited health care, much better than most US citizens. 

Also most live untouchable until apparently a city is burnt down for their criminal acts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

I am thinking that he may have died as a result but am leaning towards they weren't trying to kill him.

Do you know what implied malice aforethought is? it does not really matter because in Minnesota they have 3rd degree murder which is what the officer kneeling on his neck is being charged with. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I saw the video. Absolutely unbelievable and in broad daylight in full view of the public.

The victim had his hands cuffed behind his back and and the cop, with one hand casually in his pocket knelt on his head for several minutes till he had to all intents and purposes died. Surely it's cold blooded murder.

And they wonder why people riot. Understandably there were white people in the crowds as well as black.

If this is par for the course in the US then it's little wonder the Black Lives Matter outfit came into being!

What bothered me the most is that the cop kept his weight on that man's neck even while being filmed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Blame the cop for any looting and destruction.

There can't be a policeman who does not know what to expect if he kills a helpless black man in a US city with a large negro population.

The cop knew that if he stopped Floyd or anyone else from breathing for a few minutes he'd die. You'd also die and so would any of us. But the vicious, sadistic piece of pigschitt couldn't help himself.

I believe in blaming perpetrators for their actions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tie Dye Samurai said:

Do you know what implied malice aforethought is? it does not really matter because in Minnesota they have 3rd degree murder which is what the officer kneeling on his neck is being charged with. 

Yes that's what I was implying the charge would be likely that. Thanks for keeping up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Imo it’s the appropriate charge 3rd degree murder man slaughter I hope that incompetent cop does serious time the dude was cuffed and no threat no excuses none nor are there any excuses for trump saying what he said no person of color going to vote for him now good!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tug said:

Imo it’s the appropriate charge 3rd degree murder man slaughter I hope that incompetent cop does serious time the dude was cuffed and no threat no excuses none nor are there any excuses for trump saying what he said no person of color going to vote for him now good!

I think you're letting him off too easily calling him incompetent. He's a thug and a murderer. And Trump literally has nothing to do with this incident.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1