After rebuke, top U.S. general says joining Trump church walk during protests was "mistake"

webfact

3 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Ah, why didn’t he say “Mr. President as a uniformed member of the US Military I cannot go on this walk to the plaza?  He has to think about it and then make a speech and apologize?  Modern Military Leadership?  Same goes for Defense Secretary Esper.  If Esper disagrees with this President regarding the staging of Active Duty Soldiers in DC then he should have stated his opposition and offer to resign?  

The least they could have done was send a Tweet, the commander in chief understands tweets, it's how he communicates! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

I do agree that he should not have attended in uniform, but it is a stretch for people to say that this means there is a rift between him and POTUS.

Have to wait and see how trump responds.  I assume trump doesn't wish to create further discord with the military as it would hurt his re-election effort.

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Ah, why didn’t he say “Mr. President as a uniformed member of the US Military I cannot go on this walk to the plaza?  He has to think about it and then make a speech and apologize?  Modern Military Leadership?  Same goes for Defense Secretary Esper.  If Esper disagrees with this President regarding the staging of Active Duty Soldiers in DC then he should have stated his opposition and offer to resign? 

What pussies. China, NK, Russia, Iran have nothing to fear.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"I should not have been there," Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman General Mark Milley said of his appearance at the politically charged event on June 1.

"My presence in that moment and in that environment created a perception of the military involved in domestic politics," he said in a prerecorded video commencement address to the National Defense University.

Minutes before the visit, law enforcement used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse mostly peaceful protesters occupying the square between the White House and the church in a demonstration against the police killing of George Floyd, drawing condemnation from Democrats and some Republicans.

Milley only apologized for being there after being called out by other military members. But Milley said nothing about the use of tear gas and rubber bullets to clear the peaceful protesters for Donald's "Bible Photo-Op". I guess Milley is okay with the use of tear gas and rubber bullets on US Citizens by US enforcement officials for political reasons.

Edited by Silurian
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

You are a sad, sad, person. As pointed out earlier, the people were peacefully assembling, as were news teams (Australia, Germany) who were beaten and shot at with pepper balls and rubber bullets.  You might say "Well, maybe they were rioting night before". Not good enough.

"Boots on the other foot" sounds like you approve of law enforcement being indistinguishable from law breakers.

Military, along with officials, take oath to protect and defend US Constitution (which includes right to peaceable assemble to protest grievances. You could look it up). They do not take an oath similar to Nazis who swore allegiance  to Hitler. Cowardice? Please explain

I believe in being proactive, you see if I’m faced with a snarling soi dog wanting to bite me I’d pepper spray it before I was bitten. 

So el presedente having seen the looters try to burn the chapel down the night before took a similar action and yes I found it most enjoyable. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

Have to wait and see how trump responds.  I assume trump doesn't wish to create further discord with the military as it would hurt his re-election effort.

He is more likely to respond to a hurt insatiable ego, his!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tug said:

The spell may be broken gen Miley the fed spoke truth today dod now let’s see some senators grow some only Lisa and Romney so far enough chaos speak up!!yes the spell may be broken

Amazingly, Lindsey Graham actually spoke up.  Not against Trump, but in support of the General.

["I have nothing but deep admiration for and total confidence in General Milley as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff," Graham tweeted on Thursday. "I support his statement in both substance and spirit regarding the recent presidential visit to St. Johns."

Graham added, "General Milley is a tremendous military leader who understands the long tradition of maintaining an apolitical, nonpartisan military."]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/lindsey-graham-backs-top-generals-apology-for-appearing-with-trump-after-force-used-on-protesters/ar-BB15mog3