Measles Outbreak

DogNo1

It was reported in the New York Times today that there has been a measles outbreak in Cambodia.   I don't know the percentage of children who receive the MMR vaccine in SE Asia is but I hope that it is high.  The measles is a dreadful disease and is much more contagious than COVID-19.    It hits adults particularly hard.  If you and your family haven't received the vaccine, now would be a good time to get it.  The measles could easily spread into Thailand.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Measles = Itchy red spots for a week .......... wasn't all that dreadful when I had it (age 12).

COVID-19 = blocked ear for 2 weeks, earache, and a cough for 6 weeks (age 65).

Can't say either of them was worth me taking any vaccine to prevent.

For those infected, the more serious complications of measles include:

• blindness
  • encephalitis, an infection that causes brain swelling
  • extreme dehydration
  • ear infections
  • pneumonia

Encephalitis can cause permanent brain damage, so perhaps these possible complications may not be enough for you to be vaccinated, but others may not so cavalier about community health.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to the Department of Disease Control, which regularly surveys vaccination levels, there is a target level of immunisation of 95% for MMR.  For the first injection, coverage is 96.1%, and for the second, 86.6% (2018 figures).  Unfortunately, in the far south levels are much below the national average, at 71.3% and 66.7% - presumably because of religious disdain for vaccinations amongst the people there.  Bangkok also does relatively poorly (95.0%, 78.0%), probably because of the large, poor migrant workforce.

Source:  http://conference.nvi.go.th/vaccon9/files/slide/21_1100_MayC_4.pdf

9 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Itchy red spots are usually an indication of chickenpox

Had that as well, chicken pox had pustules that burst and ooze, often leaving scars, completely different to measles.

Edited by BritManToo

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

It didn't take long for an important and thoughtful post to be dismissed with arrogant disdain.  An estimated 140,000+ people still die every year from measles. 140,000.

Prior to the vaccination, an estimated 2-3 million people died every year.

Measles is a highly infectious respiratory illness and spreads like wildfire, especially in children under the age of 5. 

Itchy red spots are usually an indication of chickenpox / Human-alpha-herpes virus3 (HHV3). Measle spots typically merge, hence the term measles ash. The common symptoms are;

- high fever lasting 4-7 days

-runny nose, a cough, red and watery eyes, and often small white spots inside the cheeks

- a rash on the face and upper neck which spreads to the extremities - hands and feet.  

The complications of measles are;  blindness, encephalitis (resulting in brain damage with cognitive impairment, aka mental retardation), severe diarrhoea causing dehydration and organ failure,  and ear infection resulting in hearing damage. Because Cambodia has a large number of untreated and/or undiagnosed HIV infected people, the likelihood of higher death rates is expected.  The highest risk groups are  children under the age of  5 and adults over the age of 30.  All of this is of course is in most cases avoidable if one is vaccinated.  Not everyone will be seriously impaired or die if infected, but  tens of thousands are seriously injured, and 140,000+ do die from the infection.

Thank you to the OP for the important public service reminder.

Oh my goodness , all those really bad complication things  things I escaped of,  having them as I had the measles at very young age , still remember lying in darkness and my then small hands covered and tied up not be able to scratch me ,to not have scars ….

Am I now vaccinated by i had it already?

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Measles = Itchy red spots for a week .......... wasn't all that dreadful when I had it (age 12).

COVID-19 = blocked ear for 2 weeks, earache, and a cough for 6 weeks (age 65).

Can't say either of them was worth me taking any vaccine to prevent.

You have no idea you even had Covid, yet you repeatedly claim you have had. You were neither tested at the time or after.

Stop attention seeking.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

You have no idea you even had Covid, yet you repeatedly claim you have had. You were neither tested at the time or after.

Stop attention seeking.

I had no testing for Measles or Chicken-pox either.

But I know I had them.

Tell you what, I'll put you on ignore, and you can do the same with me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I had no testing for Measles or Chicken-pox either.

But I know I had them.

Tell you what, I'll put you on ignore, and you can do the same with me.

Go for it, you dont like it when someone pulls you up on your never ending BS and attention seeking. Put me on ignore if it makes you feel better, i will still see you constant stream of BS.

1 hour ago, tonray said:
15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Measles was prevalent before WW11. Better diets, sanitation and generally improved living conditions took it away from everyone's mind in the 1960s

Measles was not solved by better diets or living conditions....it was vaccination

Some people are only capable of talking about self and the old home country.

This subject is about Cambodia, and possibly Thailand, where lack of vaccinations, bad diet, sanitation and living conditions all conspire to cause outbreaks.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Some people are only capable of talking about self and the old home country.

This subject is about Cambodia, and possibly Thailand, where lack of vaccinations, bad diet, sanitation and living conditions all conspire to cause outbreaks.

Pretty much like in Australia during the 1950's when I was growing up.  Well to be honest the diet wasn't to bad but not always to my liking.  ????

34 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Do you really get off on slagging off Cambodia and Thailand?

There is no lack of vaccinations.  I've posted previously about the high level of measles vaccinations in Thailand*.  In Cambodia, measles vaccinations (MCV1) were, according to the WHO, running at 84% in 2018 (source:  https://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.A826).  That's pretty damn good for a poor, developing country.  I rather doubt that when a vaccine against COVID-19 becomes available a country such as America will be able to achieve that level of coverage given it's anti-scientific, anti vaxxer movement.

* From the same source, Thailand's MCV1 coverage was 96% in 2018.  That's better than the United States (92%), the UK (92%), Australia (95%), France (90%), and a host of other supposedly more developed countries.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Had that as well, chicken pox had pustules that burst and ooze, often leaving scars, completely different to measles.

Are measles and chicken pox two names for the same disease?