Thailand Aims to Turn Away From Mass Tourism and Target the Wealthy

rooster59

8 hours ago, baansgr said:

Although they may spend 5 times the amount of sexpats..it doesn't create 5 times as many jobs which is what's needed most

hey don't do that, you're using logic. That isn't allowed here 

The Thai authorities evidently don’t know how rich people spend their holidays. Maybe they should have a look at Monaco, Cannes, st Tropez, Bora Bora, Moustique, Bahamas etc etc. That’s where the well off hang out. Of course, they could always copy these countries and turn Thailand into a dollar haven , but at its present state, Thailand is going from bad to worse.,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

according to all the wise farangs here thats impossible. Thailand, according to them, is too filthy and has nothing to offer to wealthy people. Well, this shows them factually wrong. Many farangs here are uneducated pigs (sorry for being so direct) who simply cannot see beyond beer and hookerd.

Educated and wealthy can, on the other hand, see and value what Thailand has to offer.

What exactly does Thailand have to offer ?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Tropical 5 Star Island of Phuket will be the crown jewel for their wealthy visitors and only the 5 star all inclusive Hotels will be in Play.  No room at the trough for those normal hotels, shops or restaurants.  I can see where the money is going. Straight into someone's pockets who has invested in the 5 star resorts... 

so this will essentially be chinese zero-dollah package tours for rich folks?

I guess the Thai Tourist Authority will never learn!  Rich tourists have no interest in Thailand.  They prefer Europe and the Riviera.  They expect amenities that Thailand does not normally offer such a clean streets, clean beaches, etc.

Every time I tell my friends back home that I retired in Thailand they just say yuck!  Singapore is so much cleaner if you must go to Asia.  They carry on about Paris, London, Rome, Berlin, etc.  The wealthy don't worry about corona virus as they stay amongst there own and not the dirty crowd.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Target the Wealthy

Folks with plenty of money pick really cool vacation destinations. Budget minded travelers choose Thailand because it is affordable. 

Business execs come here for business reasons, and medical tourists come for cheap medical procedures. They don't come for the pristine beaches, safe environment, and healthy climate.

13 minutes ago, geisha said:

What exactly does Thailand have to offer ?

To some people it must be a lot as they spend day after day on this forum (and others) slagging off the Thai government, everything about Thailand and all Thais yet they still want to  stay here or to get back in to continue living here.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Now ! If I had pots of Money ( which I dont ), the very last place on the Planet that I would vacation would be Thailand.

I can imagine it now.

A Beautiful Sunset ( or it would be if the Sky was not obscured by Toxic Pollution ). Sitting on the Veranda ( with a high degree chance of contracting Dengue Fever from a Mosquito ), sipping a glass of Bubbly ( Ridiculously overpriced ) , and listening to ... Dogs barking and Howling, and breathing in the fragrant fumes from a trash fire in the close vicinity.

All this after a day of sailing the Private Motor Launch around the Gulf among all the raw Sewage and rafts of Trash, and then a relaxing drive back to the House, trying to warn the Driver of each hazard to avoid if possible.

Its tough at the top.

Is that a dig at the trade descriptions act?

6 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

To some people it must be a lot as they spend day after day on this forum (and others) slagging off the Thai government, everything about Thailand and all Thais yet they still want to  stay here or to get back in to continue living here.

The post was not about expats living in Thailand. It was about attracting rich tourists to Thailand. So, what does Thailand have to offer to wealthy tourists ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

I guess the Thai Tourist Authority will never learn!  Rich tourists have no interest in Thailand.  They prefer Europe and the Riviera.  They expect amenities that Thailand does not normally offer such a clean streets, clean beaches, etc.

Every time I tell my friends back home that I retired in Thailand they just say yuck!  Singapore is so much cleaner if you must go to Asia.  They carry on about Paris, London, Rome, Berlin, etc.  The wealthy don't worry about corona virus as they stay amongst there own and not the dirty crowd.

I had a very wealthy (old money), now sadly deceased Swedish friend. I got the impression from him that Thailand didn't really do it for him, for the reasons you mention. He'd long talked about moving to Marbella or somewhere like that. Also, even with his wealth, visas for Thailand were a pain.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

Your idea of wealthy and their idea of wealthy, might not be the same, it seems to me they want to raise the bar and get rid of the bottom few tiers of impoverished and near penniless travellers - hitch hiking rather than paying even a token bus fare in Thailand doesn't support the notion of wealthy farang tourists, even the Chinese don't do that!

And Mr. Minister of Tourism. What will you do when the rich don't come?

Will it be back to trying to tempt those wonderful Chinese and Indian tourists? Or do you have another nationality as a back up plan?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure Westerners are in a good position to advise countries such as Thailand how to improve, heal thyself physician springs to mind! 

Edited by Trillian
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

This guy said what I think many hiso wanted to hear.  how do all those 5 star hotel  private  beach complexes survive before.  obviously people with money have been supporting these places.   I had an opportunity to  stay at a few of these resorts in Phuket  during the day only. Details not important.  but the beaches were kept clean,  private docks so guests could  book trips to do anything.  A very relaxing quiet,  clean vacation  can be had.  amd if no pleb tourists that means less traffic and quicker shuttle from the airport.  less wait at restaurants.   maybe snorkeling without 6 boats with 50 loud, reef stepping people each.  I think this guy is serious and I think this idea is attractive to hiso.  Many people are unemployed now so what's the difference going forward hopefully they can slowly find other means of employment.  The major flaw I see is that covid19 does not know how thick ones wallet is and as soon as we have outbreaks at a few of these Resorts then what?

Edited by Elkski

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm an extremely well educated pig 'Romance Traveller' who can't see beyond beer and hookers.

Please tell me what else Thailand has worth seeing?

You can buy an Aston Martin, a Balenciaga bag or a Gucci belt at +50% price! I guess buying at higher prices is attractive for billionaires in the non-existant brain of these puppets.