NFL: Trump slams Washington Redskins as team re-evaluates name

webfact

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think my two examples are worthy of discussion. 

It seems to me that there is a big difference between names like the Redskins and names like the Navajos. The braves may lie somewhere between them. 

Can't using names like the Navajos  be seen as recognition to the tribes of people that are the only original Americans? 

I don't know that there are many native Americans represented among TVF members (used to be at least a couple who claimed partial heritage without making a big deal about it). What's more or less appropriate, offensive or respectful got to do with perceptions of minorities involved.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

I heard a joke that the left now want to ban pianos. More white keys than black = clearly racist. Once it would have been amusing. Now it pales in comparison to the mindless actions they take on a daily basis. That Trump opponents find rewriting history a la 1984 to be "awesome" it is a tiny step from where we are now to more extreme measures(yet oh so necessary in the name of PC)such as all whites being chemically castrated, and all their assets being seized and given to street gangs. A truly sad time to be alive seeing great civilizations under attack from the ignorant and jealous.

You definitely have a point if that tiny step leading to the chemical castration of whites and having all their assets confiscated was a stumble that caused someone to fall down and get a concussion that resulted in a state of psychosis that featured the consequences you touted. Otherwise, not so likely.

• Haha 2

Rather than changing their name, why doesn't the team so something to support their local native populations - reduced price tickets to games, finding their kid's education, etc. I'm sure the team has plenty of money. Or is this not the US way?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Rewriting history?

Where has history been rewritten?

Unless of course you mean all the facts are being discussed?

I can see why that might upset some of the maga crowd...the rest of your post is just hyperbolic inaccuracies. 

Well, maybe if someone is illiterate or dyslexic then they might need to learn history via the visual aids under discussion.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Morch said:

I don't know that there are many native Americans represented among TVF members (used to be at least a couple who claimed partial heritage without making a big deal about it). What's more or less appropriate, offensive or respectful got to do with perceptions of minorities involved.

Not sure I fully understand what you are saying there but I should have probably mentioned  before that I assume most native Americans don't appreciate the more neutral tribe names for teams. It's comic book level, stereotyped, and no connection really to them. But I wonder if such opinions should be all powerful. The intentions aren't bad and falsely romanticizing indigenous peoples isn't exactly a war crime. I guess what Im saying is that lines do need to be drawn on OK vs. not OK. Otherwise what's next banning the name of the city of Milwaukee? 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Why doing so offends people who don’t support the ‘Redkins’ and likely might never have watched any of their games is a mystery.

Perhaps there are too many ‘thin skins’ looking for something to be offended over.

Who are these people that are "offended" by the name change ?

Some people may disagree with it, but thats far from being offended by it 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Do people object to the name Celtics? Cringe at the sight of the mascot spinning the ball? Major League Baseball pressured the Cleveland Indians to get rid of their mascot.But working over thirty years on most of the reservations in the southwest it was by far the favorite hat of tribal members.People are smarter than this and the the association with racism is the agenda of a few...

51 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Who are these people that are "offended" by the name change ?

Some people may disagree with it, but thats far from being offended by it 

The people that pay the bills.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1