Too-tight virus policy is strangling Thai economy, experts warn

webfact

5 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Meanwhile in Australia,  Up to 30,000 people packed Perth's Optus Stadium last night for the AFL showdown between Collingwood and Geelong,

With a capacity of 60,000 they are still showing caution by limiting only 30,000 people. Time will tell if this was a mistake or not.

https _prod.static9.net.au_fs_cc212323-110e-43fd-ad07-47e30eebe2bc.jpg

Sure, but who won?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Most Thai people not want foreigner come thailand now. 

Especilally foreigner from countrys refuse mask, selfish. 

Up to us. 

Be stupid allow that. 

Money not important when you dead. 

Control covid= Welcome to Thailand. 

Eg Trump think “open” before control be good for economy. 

He wrong. Control covid THEN open economy. 

I not want foreigner come thailand now. Most people same. 

Sorry.

Up to us. 

Best thing can can happen for Thai economy is= other country’s control there covid. 

Situation not improve. It unimprove now. 

No thankyou. 

What if you are married to one....... like maybe you are?

Just askin!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, american2 said:

If the country wants to gamble...If tourists bring the virus back   how many more infections will they produce.

An effective testing system will help. 

Test every passenger at the airport. 

I can't fathom why countries that rely on tourism don't just invest in a testing regime at airports. Iceland, certain Caribbean countries are doing great stuff, really advanced. Dubai have a selective testing protocol which i don't completely agree with (namely get a test done at home, or do it at the airport on arrival). 

It's vital Thailand keep the country safe. A virus out of control, another lockdown, is going to hurt tourism anyways. You will get one chance at doing it correctly. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

As long as people stay in quarantine for 14 days after arriving here I'm fine with that. But tourists aren't going to be able to do that. Most don't even get 2 week vacations.

It's a sad situation, but it would be sadder if Thailand was hit hard by the virus again and had to shut everything down. At least the local economy is open, if not for tourists.

I also think a tourist bubble should be strongly considered. Have an area that only tourists can go and that includes hospitality workers who serve them. Of course once someone makes a mistake all hell could break loose.

Im willing to go for a 2 week quarantine if it is reasonable rates and no additional rules .  Like i said , forget about the nrs you had before , it's a new world right now , its about keeping things alive . Theres more people like me , im sure , we get a test , spend 2 weeks in quarantine for lets say 20-30k baht , get another test and you are good to go .

And what did the PM admit the other day when referring to the Egyptian soldier case? Stop thinking about the Dollars and think Logistics because tourism anywhere is a little way ahead at present.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Initially, we could limit foreign arrivals as per the capacity of the healthcare system to handle new cases of perhaps 20-30 a day.

As long as it's 20-30 high end tourists who are staying in 100,000 baht a night rooms. 

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Certainly not the case here in Hua Hin. Last night at least 90% of Thais were walking along without masks, only putting them on when they had to enter any premises. As for social distancing, lots of local restaurants with eight round a table all eating from the same four dishes on the table. I think everyone is getting tired of the rules and restrictions. 

I think that a lot more than 10% are wearing masks? Wearing them is hot and uncomfortable but I do, at least when around other people. It does seem a little unnecessary when there has not been a case in the general population for 50 days?

They really need to develop a good testing program at the airports with quick tests paid for by passengers....then maybe have people follow up with a second test a week or two later at a hospital if they think it’s needed. Quarantine program will not work with large numbers of people. They talk about tourists returning in September but no mention of those with Elite visas or retirement visas without Thai spouse. These groups should be next ; hopefully by then the government will have developed workable plans....

4 hours ago, CLS said:

Only the urge to make money will bring them to reason.
But Thais have been brainwashed for 4 months and the evil foreigner was made a scapegoat for their misery. What will it take to reverse this process?

A Hansum Falang such as myself????..Right out of a soapy, so no longer dirty!!

56 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I am surprised many companies aren't taking this opportunity to move out of Thailand to Vietnam/Cambodia/India etc.

Its not quite the same as just packing a Suitcase and Boarding a Flight.

These kind of things take time and Money to organise

Maybe Q3 and Q4, and certainly next Year will see some business,s move their production and supply chains to their Home Countries.

Covid  has been way too disruptive to their  Business,s, and closer to home equals more control of things.

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Here we go. The tide is starting to turn. 

Someone expresses a commonly held opinion ( and that's all it is) and the tide is starting to turn? I don't think so.
Most Thais and foreign residents have thought this for ages.

2 hours ago, american2 said:

If the country wants to gamble...If tourists bring the virus back   how many more infections will they produce.

Likely far fewer than are killed on Thai roadways. Not much of an alarm about those deaths.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Paranoia that drips from the top and scares the masses ! The economic desert and deaths will far outweigh anything any covid will if attitudes dont change !but hey in Thailand when ever has 'Anything' ever changed with respect to approach to dealing with problems !! Sledgehammer time 

Edited by pixelaoffy

1 hour ago, brucegoniners said:

As long as people stay in quarantine for 14 days after arriving here I'm fine with that. But tourists aren't going to be able to do that. Most don't even get 2 week vacations.

Additionally, most will not have the money to even fly here and visit.  International Tourism as I see it is a dead prospect at least for another year or so.  People need to get back to work to make up for the losses they incurred during the past 5 months since they started loosing there jobs.  Talked to my grandfather, those folks like him in the US who are on SS and received the government $1200, went out and bought freezers and stocked up on beef and other meats to carry them down the road.  His generation, he is now 92, have always lived very frugally, and know how to stretch that dollar.  He would love to come for a visit, but still has cows to milk, and a ranch to run.  He said that unless a stiff policy is put in place the world over then we are all cooked....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The government should focus on the “trace, test and isolate (TTI)” policy so that foreigners can be gradually welcomed back to the country, he added.

Close, but not "on brand" enough for the target tourist demographic.

Should be...

Test, Isolate, Trace (T)I(T)

????