AIS users - keeping number & validity period?

dastott

57 minutes ago, dastott said:

That’s what I was hoping. So, just top up with credit before the expiry date and I can use the same number when I return to Thailand.

Keep anyway your sim number alive , or you can not see one time password in your Thai banking to confirm transactions or even get noticed balance .

I do not have any data package experience , but know that roaming outside Thailand must be on to handle bank app's and so need active Thai number  

Thanks again. About roaming, AIS says it’s free to ‘apply’ but of course costs extra money to use. I was not planning to use the number overseas but I could still receive calls and SMS from the bank if I apply (but not pay for) for roaming?

Just now, dastott said:

Thanks again. About roaming, AIS says it’s free to ‘apply’ but of course costs extra money to use. I was not planning to use the number overseas but I could still receive calls and SMS from the bank if I apply (but not pay for) for roaming?

It doesn't cost anything to use. You are confusing Roaming with Data Roaming. You don't need data switched on to receive SMS. So you can turn that off on the SIM before you leave. 

Disable “Internet service”: Press *129*1# and hit the Dial key (Free of charge); Enable “Internet service”: Press *129*2# 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

No. Data package is not linked to the SIM package. The SIM package is completely separate from the data package. 

Example of SIM package. 99 satang per minute for call. 2 baht for SMS. 1 baht per MB for data. That is what is linked to a SIM. Data package has no bearing on that.

Are you saying you can have a DATA package without a SIM? No, when you refer to 'SIM package' I think you are meaning a 'Call Package'.

3 hours ago, stouricks said:

Are you saying you can have a DATA package without a SIM? No, when you refer to 'SIM package' I think you are meaning a 'Call Package'.

You don't need to try to tell me what I think. What you mean is what you think. But you have got it wrong.

I wrote exactly what I meant. How can 2 baht per SMS & 1 baht per MB be a call package?

Think before you Submit Reply.

It is the SIM package.

Do you see the SIM packages there?: http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/package/prepaid?ln=en

They are the basic offers that come with the SIM. Whereas if you choose a Data package, that is an add-on. When the Data package runs out, it defaults to the SIM package rate. 

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

You don't need to try to tell me what I think. What you mean is what you think. But you have got it wrong.

I wrote exactly what I meant. How can 2 baht per SMS & 1 baht per MB be a call package?

Think before you Submit Reply.

It is the SIM package.

Do you see the SIM packages there?: http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/package/prepaid?ln=en

They are the basic offers that come with the SIM. Whereas if you choose a Data package, that is an add-on. When the Data package runs out, it defaults to the SIM package rate. 

OK, keep yer shirt on!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, dastott said:

Yes, this is my situation. I can top up using ibanking app but not using the AIS app. So, if the balance falls to O baht the number disappears even if the app says it has a longer validity period?

Basically the number should be valid until the "valid until" date, in your case June 2021. If there is no credit balance on the sim you will only be able to receive calls and sms's. AFAIK, every topup extends the validity by 30 days, regardless of the amount. Maximum validity 1 year. 

So I'd suggest contacting AIS to cancel the data package and keep the number as a normal voice sim, and just before you leave Thailand topup as much as needed to get the 1 year validity. You can later topup from overseas using a bank app if you need longer validity

• Like 1

Perhaps not for the OP, but for others.

You can top up 20 baht repeatedly, one after another. Each 20 baht adds a month on to your expiry date.

Easy to do via online banking.

* Doing this 10 times will get you 10 months.

Doing it once with 200 baht will get you one month.

19 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Unfortunately, you are being given some confusing replies. You can cancel the package and take note if the validity period has changed. If not, you need to do nothing. If so, you can go to a Boontherm machine outside 7-11 or Family Mart, and do multiple 10 baht top-ups(costing 12 baht) until your validity date maxxes out to July next year.

If you are not back by July next year, then you can top up 20 baht via your banking app or apply a package that gives you 30 days of extra validity for 30 baht, from your existing credit.

My experience with AIS pre-paid is that if you don't do any transactions on the account (make calls or use data), the number will be suspended regardless if there's a +ve balance. In lieu of being able to make a call or suck on some internet, the only keep-alive activity available to the OP is the bare-minimum monthly top-up.

When I picked up a DTAC pre-paid SIM as a backup to my AIS account, I asked the sales guy about the validity issue while traveling overseas. In a similar way as you suggest the OP doing serial top-ups at the Boontherm machine, the sales guy made serial top-ups on their online system at the point of sale which gave me the handy 1-year validity that is usually only built up after months of regular top ups. Maybe the OP can explain his situation at the AIS shop and see if they will do the same? Saves standing in the sun at the 7-eleven and 2 baht/top-up?

22 hours ago, dastott said:

Thanks. That’s what I have been doing in Thailand. Do you suggest paying B200 a month to keep the package even when I am not in Thailand?

You can change package to a cheaper one or even skip the package. You just need money on the sim-card to keep the number. 

23 hours ago, asiacurious said:

If that's one of the 200 Baht per month for 12 months unlimited data plans where you pay each month (I've got one of those plans) then I was told that the plan ends after 12 months.  It doesn't renew for another year or anything like that. 

While it's always possible they can extend the plan for another year, that's totally up to AIS.  More likely they'll replace the plan with something else.

As for paying for the plan each month, you can top up via Lazada each month (using bank account, credit card...) or just top up in advance with enough funds to cover every month you'll be gone.

@dastott I suggest you go to an AIS service center, request an English speaking service rep and ask him/her all your questions about paying, keeping the number and renewing the plan. There is usually (I repeat 'usually' with baited breath) one in every shopping center.

This is how I did it while I was away from Thailand for a year and kept my phone alive.

First have a Baht balance on your account.

Mao Mao Code cost is ฿30

I did it just now to test and the service works.

(Roaming ON before you leave the country) With AIS SIM in the phone, go to keypad and dial *500*9#, then Call.

In a moment, you'll get SMS notifying you that the baht was deducted from your balance and 30 days of validity added to your number. $1/month ain't bad.

You can do it repeatedly to max out to 1 year.

There is also https://mobiletopup.com/ that have all kinds of packages. One is 90 days validity for ฿25.

I used it while in US to keep my number alive. It was always fussy about my credit card, but they have links to Thai banks and you can pay with bitcoin and 7 other cryptos.

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2020 at 12:35 PM, dastott said:

What happens to the number when the monthly package expires when I am overseas

Wouldn't it be easy to go and ask the Local AIS Office ,If they don't know they will call the Head office .

10 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Basically the number should be valid until the "valid until" date, in your case June 2021. If there is no credit balance on the sim you will only be able to receive calls and sms's. AFAIK, every topup extends the validity by 30 days, regardless of the amount. Maximum validity 1 year. 

So I'd suggest contacting AIS to cancel the data package and keep the number as a normal voice sim, and just before you leave Thailand topup as much as needed to get the 1 year validity. You can later topup from overseas using a bank app if you need longer validity

Nope. If no credit, he will not be able to receive calls abroad, only SMS.

3 hours ago, digger70 said:

Wouldn't it be easy to go and ask the Local AIS Office ,If they don't know they will call the Head office .

Wouldn't it be easier for him to just call 'head office' in the first place, instead of wasting time making a trip to the 'local AIS office'?

On 7/20/2020 at 6:46 AM, LukKrueng said:

Very helpful. That’s what I want to do. To use the bank apps overseas do I need to keep the Thai SIM inside the phone even if using home wifi?

Edited by dastott

I don't have AIS but DTAC and True. On both my services I can extend validity up to a year by sending a message and getting a service charge of 12THB/6 months extended? I then don't need to be subscribed to any packages or pay anything each month. That would be a deal breaker for me if it wasn't on AIS as well?

2 hours ago, dastott said:

Very helpful. That’s what I want to do. To use the bank apps overseas do I need to keep the Thai SIM inside the phone even if using home wifi?

Yes. Otherwise you won't be able to receive the SMS....

13 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I don't have AIS but DTAC and True. On both my services I can extend validity up to a year by sending a message and getting a service charge of 12THB/6 months extended? I then don't need to be subscribed to any packages or pay anything each month. That would be a deal breaker for me if it wasn't on AIS as well?

It isn't..

2 hours ago, dastott said:

With kbank you need to use sim data in order to register for the first time. I can't recall any action I couldn't do when using WiFi after that

On 7/19/2020 at 6:03 AM, dastott said:

Thanks. That’s what I have been doing in Thailand. Do you suggest paying B200 a month to keep the package even when I am not in Thailand?

your number will never expire. you can allways reactivate it by showing your passport at

any AIS shop.

however, if you will not use it or load it during the said period, the number might become inactive

and you will not be able to recieve OTP

13 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

your number will never expire. you can allways reactivate it by showing your passport at

any AIS shop.

however, if you will not use it or load it during the said period, the number might become inactive

and you will not be able to recieve OTP

???

That's totally erroneous.

• Like 1