What do you wish you had known before you moved to Thailand

IvGeg

13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Hope this answers your questions, if you have anymore, just ask as getting other people's opinions is always good before making a decision.

Thank you for your answer. I heard in Thai culture rich people kind of have to provide to poor. If you are a wealthier person in your family you have to help your poor relatives. Same applies to foreigners and Thai people expect all foreigners to be quite wealthy if they afforded to come to Thailand. So when you crash with someone usually they ask you to pay no matter who was right. It is just their customs and police will back this side. Is it true? Also may it apply to any other daily life situations? Thank you guys. It is very interesting that you shearing here. 

21 minutes ago, IvGeg said:

So when you crash with someone usually they ask you to pay no matter who was right. It is just their customs and police will back this side. Is it true? Also may it apply to any other daily life situations?

Correct.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have heard that Thai's do believe that farangs are wealthy, however 90% of farangs that do retire here in Thailand, do so on a pension, which is just enough for them to survive on,

Thai pension 500bht/month.

Most white pensioners are extremely wealthy compared to Thai pensioners.

A Brit pensioner on 150 pounds/week state pension (600 pound/month) is actually  50x more wealthy than a Thai pensioner. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

A Brit pensioner on 150 pounds/week state pension (600 pound/month) is actually  50x more wealthy than a Thai pensioner. 

Can you match it with your life expectations on that amount in TH though? 

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I couldn't survive off of that, that's just over my weekly budget ????

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, stouricks said:

Good morning Yinn. I totally disagree, in my case anyway. My 11 years with an ex-sex worker has been wonderful, got a lovely step-daughter & son, built a house near her family. NEVER has anyone of them asked for money. Life is very easy, relaxed and relatively cheap. 

Good for you. Probably more genuine than than some of the so called “normal” Thai  people you come across ????

Edited by Kadilo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IvGeg said:

Everyone is talking about happy thai wife happy life. What about happy life as a pensioner in Thailand without thai wife? Let's put it this way. If you had lots of girls in your life and you are satisfied about your young years. You just want comfort life. Laptop with favourite movies and music, books, couple of SangSom with coke few times a week, comfortable climate, beach somewhere not far for a daily evening walk, your fishing rod. You know there are few hundreds $ on your account and you just want it easy without drama. Is it possible or for most it is just a dream and when they see first smile they crash in love, their brain stops working and the bank account is gone in minutes?

Several of my pals lived like that, 20k a month seemed to work for them.

I only spend 20K on my life, I spend another 20k on the gf and my 2 kids.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, IvGeg said:

from a young and naive man who is considering to move to SE Asia

You could be the main character in "Private Dancer" by Stephen Leather. Always good for a newbie to read before committing to Thailand.

Edited by GreasyFingers
added

I wish I had known that playing aggressive bumper car/motorcycle games was a national pastime and that death or murder are acceptable consequences. 

That the roads are not safe for walking much less getting in a vehicle. 

Other than that the annoying things are about in balance with the good things and I'm content living here. 

I sincerely doubt I'll ever move back to my home country barring catastrophic personal events or serious health issues. 

1 minute ago, RocketDog said:

I wish I had known that playing aggressive bumper car/motorcycle games was a national pastime and that death or murder are acceptable consequences. 

That the roads are not safe for walking much less getting in a vehicle. 

Other than that the annoying things are about in balance with the good things and I'm content living here. 

I sincerely doubt I'll ever move back to my home country barring catastrophic personal events or serious health issues. 

You don't sound like you're having a good time here!

Maybe time to think about living somewhere else?

I've been here years, and it's been great.

The weather was great.

The girls were great.

I've smacked my face on the road a few times.

Didn't hurt that much.

Before I moved here?

Nothing.  I came here on holiday enough times to know what I was getting into.

And, am very happy I made the move no regrets in fact better then I thought it would be.

Edited by bkk6060

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I couldn't survive off of that, that's just over my weekly budget ????

You mean the 600 pounds?

Me too, I spend more then that a week the British monthly pension sure seems low and lousy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

You don't sound like you're having a good time here!

Maybe time to think about living somewhere else?

I've been here years, and it's been great.

The weather was great.

The girls were great.

I've smacked my face on the road a few times.

Didn't hurt that much.

Well, I said I was content. If I live the rest of my days contented I'll count my life as a good one. 

I realized years ago that life is not a continuous string of glorious adventures. 

Apparently you are luckier than most people. Enjoy! 

• Like 2