Getting rid of ants

WaveHunter

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

My wife uses ant chalk to get rid of the little sods, i cant reach the floor, so i use dog flea powder, works great, sprinkle a bit around the ants, 10 minutes all dead.

I use 20 baht talcum powder from 20 baht shop or 7/11.
Sprinkle some over the ants and their trail and the hole in tiles, if there is one.
It my kill a few but they disappear and dont come back - its not harmful to pets or humans.
Yes dog flea powder works but maybe harmful to humans, and if ants are under the toilet seat ...
Prickly heat powder works too.

• Like 2

I bought the small mosquito spray from 7-11, I sprayed them ... then they'd start a new trail a few days later, I spray that one and they'd stop ...then a few days another trail somewhere else,  anyway after 2 small bottles and 6 attempted trails they seem to have gone. No more little brown ants. 

10 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, that's the one Madam gets from the local shop. The ants really seem to love it.

A friend of mine put me on to that when I built the house about 10 years ago, usually get it from Tops, 30 baht i think.

Great for some ants but no good for the very small ones or the red ants.

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

My wife uses ant chalk to get rid of the little sods, i cant reach the floor, so i use dog flea powder, works great, sprinkle a bit around the ants, 10 minutes all dead.

I suspect the flea powder contains d-Limonene. You can make your own flea repellant for dogs by boiling orange peel and using the water to spray the coat.

Orange Oil, the key ingredient in this formula, is a liquid insecticide that's safe to use around humans, animals and food. The d-Limonene in it instantly strips away the protective wax coating from the exoskeletons of insects, causing them to suffocate and die on contact.

https://blog.kevinlamping.com/fire-ants-suck/#:~:text=The d-Limonene in it,and many other crawling insects.

• Like 1

Baygon 45.  Smells decent, spray the sill around your doors and windows, and your condo/apartment/home will see no more ants getting in and crawling all over everything.  Respray once every few months.  Doesn't just kill roaches!

suggest to try to get a Biopesticide Metarhizium anisopliae,
what is a fungus that grows naturally in soils throughout the world and causes disease in various insects by acting as a parasitoid.

mixing it in water and then inject it into the space occupied by ants, behind door posts, inside window sills etc. 
24 hours and gone. 
Natural, no Chemicals,
and "somewhat" more cost effective than the beautiful packages shown.

wikipedia has more information::
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metarhizium_anisopliae

9C95A888-5255-4CF1-BFBC-BA6099AFABF6.jpg

Edited by KKr

Bayer Quantum works really good.  It comes in a little tube.  Put a drop of liquid down on the ants trail.  At first you get more ants.  They will collect it all up and take it back to the nest and feed the queen and kill the nest off.  Bayer has a similar looking one that is for cockroaches.  So make sure you get the correct one.  I've seen it at Tops and Homepro.  More expensive than the one shown above though.

Bayer ไบเออร์ ผลิตภัณฑ์ กำจัดมด ควอนตั้ม เหยื่อกำจัดมด ขนาด 12 ...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, that's the one Madam gets from the local shop. The ants really seem to love it.

No kidding!  I was surprised that the second I sprinkled it out, the ants begin to grab granules and go merrily back to their colony. 

At first I thought that the granule were just sticking to their "feet" as they walked through the granules but under a magnifying glass I could see they actually had the granule in the mandibles!  

After a couple of minutes, it looked like a two lane highway with a steady stream of ants heading back to the colony with the granules, while others came from the opposite direction to pick up the granules.  It was almost comical!

It was only of a matter of hours before there were zero ants to be seen, and now 3 days later...zero ants!

I must have tried a half dozens other ant baits with poor results.  This stuff is fantastic!

35 minutes ago, rwill said:

Bayer Quantum works really good.  It comes in a little tube.  Put a drop of liquid down on the ants trail.  At first you get more ants.  They will collect it all up and take it back to the nest and feed the queen and kill the nest off.  Bayer has a similar looking one that is for cockroaches.  So make sure you get the correct one.  I've seen it at Tops and Homepro.  More expensive than the one shown above though.

I tried the Bayer brand and it did not work at all for me, and it was terribly expensive to boot.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

A friend of mine put me on to that when I built the house about 10 years ago, usually get it from Tops, 30 baht i think.

Great for some ants but no good for the very small ones or the red ants.

The ants I had were the very tiny ones that seem to be attracted to water (i.e.: kitchen and bathroom) and this Shanjia brand worked great! 

I first tried Terro (boric acid mixed with sugar I think) and it was completely ineffective.  Tried two others I saw at HomePro including a Bayer brand which was ridiculously expensive but is supposed to be really good.  The ants just ignored them. 

So when I saw the Shanjia brand on Lazada had over a 200 reviews and was so cheap (4 sachet packets for only 60 baht), I gave it a shot, and was seriously impressed! 

The only downside is that no ingredients are listed and there is a warning to throughly wash you hands after use...so, considering it's made in China, I assume the stuff is pretty toxic, but it takes so little of it to work and it works so fast, that you can wash it away the next day and have no worries.

Edited by WaveHunter

Yeah. Here in CM my house has a continual battle with these little monsters. They make homes in any little nook and cranny, electric sockets and you name it they are there. Even in my wood kitchen table. time to get some powder as this is an extremely bad ant year. 

57 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I tried the Bayer brand and it did not work at all for me, and it was terribly expensive to boot.

Correct. There are much cheaper options for ants. I only buy the (expensive) one for roaches.

2 hours ago, rwill said:

Would not support that company! They bought out Monsanto! I personally just dont leave food out for them and that works well until the missus forgets to seal something closed!!! Yawn!

Edited by Sumarianson

If you dont want to use poison, go with boric acid. This is non-toxic to humans or pets in small amounts and works great. You must crush it completely into powder and mix one part of acid with 10 parts jam or honey. I figure out how many teaspoons to add to a new jar of cheap jam, mix it in, and store it in the fridge with special labels. At this strength the ants won't die before taking some back to the nest, where it will kill the entire colony. Put it where the ants are, or keep it around the house in water bottle caps for prevention. . You can order a kilo delivered at chemipan website (Bangkok) for a few hundred baht and it will last years.

16 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

The ants I had were the very tiny ones that seem to be attracted to water (i.e.: kitchen and bathroom) and this Shanjia brand worked great! 

I first tried Terro (boric acid mixed with sugar I think) and it was completely ineffective.  Tried two others I saw at HomePro including a Bayer brand which was ridiculously expensive but is supposed to be really good.  The ants just ignored them. 

So when I saw the Shanjia brand on Lazada had over a 200 reviews and was so cheap (4 sachet packets for only 60 baht), I gave it a shot, and was seriously impressed! 

The only downside is that no ingredients are listed and there is a warning to throughly wash you hands after use...so, considering it's made in China, I assume the stuff is pretty toxic, but it takes so little of it to work and it works so fast, that you can wash it away the next day and have no worries.

As I said i have been using what you are talking about for years but found it doesn't work with the tiny ones that are attracted to water, have to use something else.

Only just found out about orange peel so look into that a bit more.

17 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I use talcum powder ( 20 baht shop or 7/11 cheap brands smell not important or prickly heat powder - more expensive ).    You can sprinkle on the floor anywhere ( can be a little slippery on dry tiled floor ), puff on to the walls etc., I do this if they are in the bathroom.
The ants hurry away and soon get the message.
It is not toxic to humans or animals.

22 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

Would not support that company! They bought out Monsanto! I personally just dont leave food out for them and that works well until the missus forgets to seal something closed!!! Yawn!

I am meticulous about not having any food out; even the garbage can is sealed. In fact I rarely prepare meals, preferring to eat out. 

I don't think the tiny brown ants are really attracted by food.  Since I see them mostly in the bathroom and around my outdoor kitchen sink (where I never prepare food), I think it is the water that attracts them.

Agree with you about not supporting Bayer.  They are "big pharma" at its' worst, and are out for profits much more than the health of their customers.

Edited by WaveHunter

18 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I am meticulous about not having any food out; even the garbage can is sealed. In fact I rarely prepare meals, preferring to eat out. 

I don't think the tiny brown ants are really attracted by food.  Since I see them mostly in the bathroom and around my outdoor kitchen sink (where I never prepare food), I think it is the water that attracts them.

Agree with you about not supporting Bayer.  They are "big pharma" at its' worst, and are out for profits much more than the health of their customers.

Yes, before and after the rains, all seasons for different reasons.    They like cool places too.  Talcum powder 20 baht shop or 7/11, safe to use anywhere, keeps them at bay.

22 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Yes, before and after the rains, all seasons for different reasons.    They like cool places too.  Talcum powder 20 baht shop or 7/11, safe to use anywhere, keeps them at bay.

Just curious how talcum powder works?  I mean, does it effect the colony or just the ant coming in contact with it?