Smell of Methane gas from septic tank

poloshirt

I have no seen or heard anyone complain about smell of methane gas from septic tank.

I find in Thailand the smell of methane gas from septic tank is quite annoying.

Anyone knows why there is smell of methane gas.

Is Septic tank not built properly ?

Good to hear from people who build buildings they should know. Please, no guess work.

4 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Normally in the countryside they lower large concrete rings into the ground about 2 or more metres deep and then place a lid on the top. There is an access point, usually an 8" diameter brass or plastic ring for the honey truck and there should be a vent pipe from the tank to a point above ground level and up  5 metres away from people.  That's how ours was done. In the city or urban areas, I don't know.

Yes, I have seen those in the countryside.  Well, in wide open space in the countryside no problem with the smell. But in the city or town areas the smell is pervasive ., I find disgusting.

Do the Thais not smell it? Or they don't mind the smell at all?

Methane in high concentration is poisonous.

I still think it is the bad construction of the septic tanks,  perhaps design faults, etc.,

I don't find this problem in Malaysia or Singapore or even in Laos I don't smell methane gas.,

Edited by poloshirt
add words

If it's from the last tank in the septic system and stinks, time to call the honey truck and restart the bacteria in the primary tank. Thais use caustic whenever the drains get clogged and kill all the useful bacteria while at it. Then the primary sludge doesn't get broken down, sludge overflows to secondary and eventually to leach field or outside open drain.

As usual, failed maintenance.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

As Dr Tuner says, maybe just the need to clean it out and restart.

Also depends what type of tank you have and whether the air vents are fitted well and are they clear.
I had two standard HDPE septic tanks that crapped out bad methane smell around the area due to structural failure in the lining.
Took a while to clearly notice. But it did not take much investigation to figure out the problem.

Pump out half of the and check inside the tank first then dig a trial hole outside to confirm the areas that were split.

Warning! 

Do not empty these underground tanks during rainy season when water table may be high and lift the tank out of the ground. Been there and done that once in the past!

In my case with the two tanks, I have to be fair to the supplier. They gave free replacements. 

Although I paid extra to upgrade to top strength for the replacements.

However it was a lot of messy work digging out the tanks and contaminated ground, then replacing them.

If needed, get somebody else to dig out. Not recommended for the uninitiated or perhaps those that have been a pig farmer before.

Edited by jojothai
clarification

On 8/8/2020 at 10:38 PM, chickenslegs said:

Methane does not smell.

The smell is probably sewer gas (hydrogen sulfide) which is very dangerous in confined spaces, but harmless if the septic tank is properly ventilated.

Good advice in posts #2 and #4.

Yes...and if it's not coming from the septic tank...you or your neighbors may have a leaking Propane Cylinder...the smell is added by the company to be able to easily detect leaks..Propane as well as Methane are odorless 

The septic tank is an anerobic digester which produces a number of volatile gases and reduces the volume of detritus. It should be vented to high level above the building or the gas collected in a holder to provide cooking gas etc. If you use a chemical to stop the production of gas by anearobic bacteria, you will have much more sludge and need to empty the tank more often. However, I use an enzyme formulation from Bazi Green Solutions Thailand, that kills the smell while at the same time digesting the waste particularly the fats which provide the main source of sulphates that can produce hydrogen sulphide (rotten eggs smell).

• Like 2

The tank should be vented.  You can also flush some of the septic stuff they sell in Homepro or other places to help break down the waste.

But doesn't just walking along streets here make you feel the same way too?  Plenty of sewer gas coming out everywhere.  Thai's just accept it as normal.

I usually smell what you are talking about in some older built shopping centres. The toilets are not far from the food courts, no thanks honey, let's eat elsewhere, but yes the sewer systems here are not what we are used to, always carry one of those nasal things to snort when your exposed to the smell until your away from wherever the smell is coming from. 

Edited by 4MyEgo

8 minutes ago, rwill said:

You can also flush some of the septic stuff they sell in Homepro or other places to help break down the waste.

Small blue packets found in most mom and pop hardware stores and even Big C Mini, next to the drain cleaner. (Green packets are grease buster for normal drains). Also pouring 1.5l of Coca Cola/EST/Pepsi occasionally into the toilet works to some effect but blue packets better.

Very unlikely to be H2S (hydrogen sulfide) and anyway you can smell it. H2S deadly when you can't smell it. very, very unlikely.

1 hour ago, Estrada said:

The septic tank is an anerobic digester which produces a number of volatile gases and reduces the volume of detritus. It should be vented to high level above the building or the gas collected in a holder to provide cooking gas etc. If you use a chemical to stop the production of gas by anearobic bacteria, you will have much more sludge and need to empty the tank more often. However, I use an enzyme formulation from Bazi Green Solutions Thailand, that kills the smell while at the same time digesting the waste particularly the fats which provide the main source of sulphates that can produce hydrogen sulphide (rotten eggs smell).

Never say "should be" in a Thai related post, LOL.

Every Thai place with a septic tank that I've used never had a vent pipe. On the islands they just piped the poo into a tank made from concrete rings. I very much doubt they ever thought about adding an enzyme, or any other formulation to it.

Yes, methane is odourless, but one would assume the 'gasses' leaking from a septic tank would be methane combined with other 'digestive' gasses and odours.

However is the smell coming from the septic tank.?

Most larger Thai cities have deep sewage systems, obviously not so in the country.

Is the poster located in a city or the country.

If in a city the smells may well be coming from the covered street gutters, these are basically drainage channels covered by a small concrete slabs with 1 or a series of small holes.
Thais use these covered gutters as drains for anything they choose to pour down them, and poor slope on them means grey water/sludge just sits there to stagnate, and stink.

Monsoonal rains would tend to wash these gutters out, thus flushing away the stagnant grey water/sludge, if the air clears for a several days and then the smell returns, it would suggest that indeed these gutters are responsible.!

• Like 1

This is the proper set up; left concrete, for shower; center plastic, toilet; right concrete, kitchen. 

2 mistakes in this was they put shower tank to close to toilet tank and had to cut out some concrete. and the gas pipe was very low so got them to put it up to the eves with a T piece on topIMG_1282.thumb.JPG.b69d1d458e193a8bb32ae8591bd7b030.JPGIMG_1284.thumb.JPG.c92bdedeaade663faf64c9dff3d74675.JPGthe gas pipe is the one on top.

• Like 2

If you are in the house and smell it , it is likely the constructor when building the house has not installed an elbow water trap on the inlet from Bathroom to tank therefore allowing gas to come back up the vents in the floor of the bathroom.

The fix, excavate and install an elbow prior to tank entry

Lots of help on you tube

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why is this thread on the Pub? It should be in the housing sub forum.

"I find in Thailand the smell of methane gas from septic tank is quite annoying."

"But in the city or town areas the smell is pervasive ., I find disgusting.

Do the Thais not smell it? Or they don't mind the smell at all?"

It posted here on the Pub because the OP is hiding a rant/complaint as a broad question, that is unless he has a plan to retrofit every off-gassing septic system in Thailand.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

This is the proper set up; left concrete, for shower; center plastic, toilet; right concrete, kitchen. 

2 mistakes in this was they put shower tank to close to toilet tank and had to cut out some concrete. and the gas pipe was very low so got them to put it up to the eves with a T piece on topIMG_1282.thumb.JPG.b69d1d458e193a8bb32ae8591bd7b030.JPGIMG_1284.thumb.JPG.c92bdedeaade663faf64c9dff3d74675.JPGthe gas pipe is the one on top.

Thanks for the photos. Do you have a leach field or are the gray water tanks open to ground at the bottom? Or going to storm drain?

3 hours ago, Estrada said:

Sounds like a good product. Where did you buy it from?

1 hour ago, millymoopoo said:

Most larger Thai cities have deep sewage systems, obviously not so in the country.

If you've ever visited tukcom at Pattya Tai, you will have noticed the smell. They covered the storm drain with concrete which helped a bit, but it's obvious the buildings are simply letting the water coming out of the septics go into the public drain. Which then appareantly drains into the sea next to the Pattaya Beer Garden.

Enjoy your swim.

29 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

There should be a vent pipe, usually an upright pvc pipe near the septic tank.

Mine was fixed to the dividing wall with the neighbours house and only about 1m high.

We covered that area so I was able to extend it upwards to just below the roof.

Mine is just sticking 10cm up from the ground. There's no noticeable smell from there, but then again, we take care of the septic hygiene. Sludge was last pumped 1y ago and I add some bacteria product (It's th one with the happy looking toilet bowl chap on the front) every now and then. Besides, the wonderful scent of somtam plaraa will cover anything. The joys of having a Thai wife.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Haha 1

Mine used to stink. My missus solved the problem....she attached an extractor fan to the vent on the septic tank and routed the stink elsewhere (onto our neighbours land which is plant nursery). It works perfectly and costs neat to nothing.

• Like 1

Can't be methane as this would be very dangerous. Septic tanks should be vented ours are one storey high. Never had to pump out a tank after 7 years in Thailand. However run off into drains smells worse when it rains. Also lack of use of effective traps on system allows fetid air to feed back into house.

• Like 1