Who makes their own Bread?

ChipButty

Great pictures in bread here, I still have to start myself as I always buy amazing bread from a shop in CM that delivers, but it is quite expensive...

What surprises me more is that so few guesthouses and hotels have proper bread, you often get that <deleted>ty 7-11 stuff while paying 140-200B.

I would prefer a knead machine over a bread baking machine as that limits the shapes etc. Lazada has many nice things to offer tho.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

20 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Most people here tend to make bread by themselves,but isn't easier to use a machine?Flower,yeast,salt and water,all in a machine and 2 hours later I can eat my bread

Easier is not always best, you can normally make one loaf at a time, 8 minutes kneading is the only hard work you will put into making a loaf and you can make as many loaves as your oven will hold. Freeze it, get it out of the freezer 10 minutes later you have nice and soft bread, refreeze any you don't use and there will be no wastage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Easier is not always best, you can normally make one loaf at a time, 8 minutes kneading is the only hard work you will put into making a loaf and you can make as many loaves as your oven will hold. Freeze it, get it out of the freezer 10 minutes later you have nice and soft bread, refreeze any you don't use and there will be no wastage.

What is your point dude, you could freeze the bread from machines too. Machines could in fact do better. 
Also, warm fresh bread is nicer than taking it from the freezer which is why those machines are great.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

9 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

What is your point dude, you could freeze the bread from machines too. Machines could in fact do better. 
Also, warm fresh bread is nicer than taking it from the freezer which is why those machines are great.

Please don't call me dude, I'm not an cowboy.

You want to use a machine, you use a machine, nobody will stop you but it won't be as nice as hand kneaded dough.

This youtube video explains why he would never use a machine, but hey, he's only an expert.????

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2020 at 11:15 AM, ChipButty said:

My wife started making her own bread and doing a good job of it if I may say so,

Due to the fact 7/11 selling out of date bread going mouldy

Do you do everything by hand or do you have all the gadgets 

Do you have a kneading machine? if so which brand would you say is the best?

Is it better to buy a machine combined with a mixer?

Years ago my own mother used to swear by Kenwood

It depends on how much bread you eat really, and if you have an oven capable of baking properly.

Years ago I bought my parents a Kenwood bread maker, just put in all the ingredients, set the timer and let it do it's thing. 

They would wake up in the morning to the fresh smell of baked bread.

On a side note they also diversified and made cakes and things... not just bread... 

They loved it and used it for many years.

On 8/22/2020 at 12:42 PM, ChipButty said:

It's not me it's her indoors I just get the feeling gadgets on the horizon 

Who buys bread at 7/11? They have whole-wheat toast from Farmhouse, which is the only eatable bread there. Nowadays you can buy descent bread in every big city in Thailand. 

7 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

Right, this is the key to get your bread ready to eat every time you need it.

Pretty much, yes, only takes about 10 - 15 minutes to defrost enough to enable you to slice it, then put the rest back in the freezer, never put in the fridge as it will dry out in no time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I make French Style Baguettes from a recipe I saw on UTube 

The video was made by a guy called John Kirkwood ( Thanks John )

It uses a " no knead Poolish method " for the Dough

These Baguettes are perfect, and are simple to make with basic ingredients

Cost 8 Baht each to make 3 of them from 500G of Bread Flour

Check out the recipe, and the chap has other good recipes for Bread on UTube also.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Great pictures in bread here, I still have to start myself as I always buy amazing bread from a shop in CM that delivers, but it is quite expensive...

What surprises me more is that so few guesthouses and hotels have proper bread, you often get that <deleted>ty 7-11 stuff while paying 140-200B.

I would prefer a knead machine over a bread baking machine as that limits the shapes etc. Lazada has many nice things to offer tho.

You don't have to bake the bread in the machine, bread Flour in Chiang Mai is 32bht/Kg from YoK.

Near enough 16bht to make a 750gm loaf.

(260gm water, 20gm oil, 460gm flour, 4gm yeast, tiny bit of sugar & salt.)

Edited by BritManToo

4 hours ago, vogie said:

Please don't call me dude, I'm not an cowboy.

You want to use a machine, you use a machine, nobody will stop you but it won't be as nice as hand kneaded dough.

This youtube video explains why he would never use a machine, but hey, he's only an expert.????

Jack the bread ripper.

Edited by hugocnx

Bread goes mouldy in 3 or 4 days its good healthy bread, bread that never goes mouldy is full of additive and preservatives. i buy bread from both 7/11 and the bakery in Big C,no signs on mould even after 6 weeks.

Making bread is like making love. If you are good at making bread you are also good at making love and your missus is a happy woman.

Honestly you need good timing ,patience, good technique and right temperature .

Bread making is a culture thing. So I don't expect Thais to make good breads and it would take about half a century( 50 years) for them to learn how to make good bread at the present rate of their I.Q and learning ability to follow instructions, this is no Thai bashing it is based on observation and experience living in Thailand.

For Asians eating bread like eating cheese is an acquired taste. Thais eating 7 eleven bread think all breads are like 7 eleven bread, see what I meant? No big deal, they said.(how sad when something nice and good is misunderstood and forsaken).

From: a genuine bread lover who will perpetuate the art of making good bread.

Edited by poloshirt
add words
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 11:15 AM, ChipButty said:

Due to the fact 7/11 selling out of date bread going mouldy

Always been interested, but found it easier to just buy at villa mart (60 baht a think) lasts a couple of days in the bread part in the fridge just fine, Central also do bread, thats ok, but not as good quality as Villa (and more expensive i think), never had bread from 7, I'd imagine that was awful.

• Like 2

We make our bread...nothing fancy...just normal white bread loaf. 

Do it the old fashioned way...no bread machine.

To be honest, easier to buy bread from the supermarket.  Many have good quality bread, when we find some at the right price we buy a few loaves and freeze them. 

Making the bread takes time, is messy, and results vary...even using the same method and ingredients each time.  I think air temperature and humidity can affect the end result 

But I still like the therapeutic kneeding of the dough when I make the occasional loaf. 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 2:35 PM, pagan1 said:

With regards to gadgets it all depends how much baking you do in a week. I have always made bread (thanks to my mother teaching me at a young age) and if you are only doing 1kg of flour it is easy to just do it by hand. However as more people found out I was making bread I got more requests to knock out some loaves and buns for local expats. Currently I bake twice a week, use about 12kg of Bread flour a week, make different shapes and styles (White Wholewheat, Rye, Sourdough) and now make several types of cakes. I enjoy the baking and it's a great hobby although I am struggling to keep up with demand. As a result you bet I now use a large mixer otherwise my arms would look like Popeye !

Bread 1.JPG

The look of that Doe Nut / Hot Dog looking bread puts me right off, you can buy that soggy stuff everywhere. Crusty Old Style Loaf for me.

• Like 1

make my own now as I have a gluten (and dairy) allergy and gf bread in shops is limited. 

Took a while to get the right flours and then to blend them in the right quantities but all good now.

Bought a machine with gf settings from Verasu 0nline.

As a by product it also makes great brownie in the shape of a loaf! Best brownie I have had and very popular with the family. Great dessert with a little coconut milk and mango icecream.

Can share recipes for both bread and brownie if anyone wants them.

• Like 2

I'm lazy for hand kneading, so I'm using a machine.

First one of those mixers with attached rotating bowl. Even it is brand name from Bosch I gave it a pass after a few breads and now only using for cake batter.

Then got myself a second hand Kenwood mixer from abroad. Works perfect and even for a new one the price tag a bit lower than Kitchen Aid, though some people swear for it you have to pay for the brand image.

Electrolux / Zanussi tabletop oven for baking.

Imported flour and other baking ingredients from Choco Schmidt Bangkok (delivery).

If you buy Thai flour you'll have the same <deleted> ingredients (chlorine and bleached flour) as the bread from the supermarket.

Mostly making toast / sandwich bread since the crusty loafs get soft and chewy very soon.

But they taste fantastic right after baking, for example Rye or mixed crust bread.

• Like 1