BMW Motorrad Servicing - Rip Off ?????

I have a BMW motorcycle... 

Its 1.5 years old (I’ve been out of the country for a lot of that time, either over seas at work, or locked out due to Covid-19 for the past 6 months). 

BMSI is inclusive for the first three years. 

I took it in to BMW for its first service today at 1500 km....  

I was told that as I ‘missed the service window’ of 1000km I would have to pay for the first service (which is going to cost about 4000 baht). 

This seems odd...  a first service at 900km or 1500km - is there really a massive difference? and... ARE BMW Motorrad pulling the wool over my eyes, it seems very odd that I’m being charged for a full service while the motorcycle is under its 3 year BMSI because I was 500km late. 

Does anyone know anything of BMW serving and why they would charge me?

Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

BMSI includes the 1000km (first service) and further 10,000km (or 1 year - which ever is first)

To me this reads as the first 1000 km service is free, but you missed that one.

Your 1500 km service is beyond the timespan of 1 year, so that will be charged

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Not good PR for BMW.

Motul synthetic motorcycle oil less than 500 Baht/litre. The rest at a Honda Dealer less than 400 Baht. 200 baht/hr labour charge/

Also.. you are to have the first service at 1000km..already, not before. So it's a judgement call, as nobody shows up with exactly 1000km on the clock.

Add in the Covid 19 travel problems and I would ask them to honor the sales warranty.

Easy enough to contact BMW Thailand head office if the dealership is stubborn.

I tried to take the bike in back in January, however, the sales guy I had been dealing with had transferred and was not responding to messages - I could have easily ridden over, but other stuff comes up... then Covid kicked off and this has been the next real opportunity I had (although had push come to shove I could have got the bike in last month when it was closer to 1000km).

I didn’t expect BMW to renege on the BMSI and to be honest, it makes me a little suspicious.

While THB 4000 is not huge, the potential failure of trust is.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well pay it then, 4000 for servicing a bike that young it a joke anyway.

What a helpful comment, The guy spent a fortune on a new bike which includes the first service. The fact that they are even asking for it is outrageous.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SteveK said:
7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well pay it then, 4000 for servicing a bike that young it a joke anyway.

What a helpful comment, The guy spent a fortune on a new bike which includes the first service. The fact that they are even asking for it is outrageous.

Its more a trust issue...  If they are dishonest about this, what else might they be dishonest about (*cutting corners on brake oil etc)

The 4000 baht is irrelevant, it could have been 1000, it could have been 20,000 baht, the amount is somewhat moot and beside the point. 

When they told me it would cost 4xxx baht I was a little surprised, when I asked about BMSI and they told me it would usually cover this, but because its 499 km late they can’t put it through under BMSI, I accepted it at the time and left without pushing the issue (the bike is booked in tomorrow - Tues).

I am wondering if its acceptable to just take it to another dealer and see if they will service the machine or is servicing expected to be carried out at the dealership / centre of purchase. 

--------

Other than that, I prefer not to feed the troll - Kwasaki may be pishhed up, his comment makes no sense. 

1 hour ago, Susco said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

BMSI includes the 1000km (first service) and further 10,000km (or 1 year - which ever is first)

To me this reads as the first 1000 km service is free, but you missed that one.

Your 1500 km service is beyond the timespan of 1 year, so that will be charged

Under BMSI (BMW Motorrad Service Inclusive) all servicing for the first 3 years is free.

Service intervals are (supposed) to be as follows: 

- 1 Year or 1000km (whichever if first)

- another 1 year or 10,000km (whichever is next)

- another 1 year or another 10,000km (whichever is next)

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Under BMSI (BMW Motorrad Service Inclusive) all servicing for the first 3 years is free.

Service intervals are (supposed) to be as follows: 

- 1 Year or 1000km (whichever if first)

- another 1 year or 10,000km (whichever is next)

- another 1 year or another 10,000km (whichever is next)

Thanks for the complete explanation of the conditions of the BMSI.

To me it now is even more obvious why they charge you for your first service

1 Year or 1000km (whichever is first), but since the bike is already 1.5 year old, you missed the condition.

After that service you have another 6 months or 10.000 km ( whichever comes first ) free service for the second part of the agreement.

And then another 1 year or another 10,000km (whichever is next)

• Sad 2

@richard_smith237: unfortunately BMW makes it a condition that BMSI only covers costs when done according to maintenance schedule. Now one can argue 500km too much should still be OK or not. One can argue either way really.

I know that some dealers are a bit more flexible and some are not in Germany when it comes to these things. Sometimes one can talk to BMW. Make it clear that this way you are not really looking into buying another bike/car from them. I don't think it is dishonest by them. Is it a smart move by them? Nope. All you can do now is try to negotiate and see if they budge.

From the BMSI website using google translate:

3.Services to be performed under the Service Inclusive Service from BMW Motorrad will be based on information from the motorcycle's on-board computer and standard BMW instructions.Services to be performed must be in accordance with established guidelines. These are included in the BMW maintenance schedule which may be revised or modified in the future according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

4. The motorcycle must reach a specified maintenance period and have a maintenance work performed in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications. The service to be performed must be scheduled before the service can be performed. This can be identified by the motorcycle service warning light.

5. In the event that the motorcycle undergoes any modification or performance improvement Without permission The right to receive any service or spare parts under BMW Service Inclusive will expire immediately.

6. The motorcycle must be serviced only at a BMW Motorrad authorized workshop by authorized BMW technicians.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.th/th/service/service-inclusive.html#/section-service-inclusive

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Susco said:

Thanks for the complete explanation of the conditions of the BMSI.

To me it now is even more obvious why they charge you for your first service

1 Year or 1000km (whichever is first), but since the bike is already 1.5 year old, you missed the condition.

After that service you have another 6 months or 10.000 km ( whichever comes first ) free service for the second part of the agreement.

And then another 1 year or another 10,000km (whichever is next)

The condition is BMSI for 3 years (free servicing for 3 years) - the timing of the servicing are guidelines. 

If the bike was older than 3 years, of course, I’m outside of the BMSI window. 

Where would you draw the line in the sand? - 980km ok or too early? outside of the ‘condition’? is 1020km too late? outside of the condition?  - how close to the 1000km mark is reasonable.

Being late on the first service is hardly falling outside of that contract - its terrible optics for BMW if thats the case and I don’t think it is - I wonder if the service department are not making up a ‘few of their own rules’.

The issue is, if they are, trust in their standards is now lost

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

BMSI includes the 1000km (first service) and further 10,000km (or 1 year - which ever is first) for the first 3 years. 

Thus servicing should be free for the first 3 years. 

The first service at 1000km would have been free. But because I was late, at 1500km its no longer free even though the service is the same !!!! (oil change, brake level checks, disk and pad checks, chain tightening etc).

Thus: It seems rather odd that I’m going to be asked pay for something I would have received for free just because I’m late. 

Its not the price I’m questioning, its being charged at all that I’m questioning. 

Welcome to the <deleted> service that BMW  have provided their loyal customers,nice to know when you buy an alleged "quality"  brand that for the sake of 500km theyve  just  lost a customer and any who might read this thread.

I had one once, it broke down from new after 10km from  the garage, first and last due to the way they handled it at the time.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

ard_smith237: unfortunately BMW makes it a condition that BMSI only covers costs when done according to maintenance schedule. Now one can argue 500km too much should still be OK or not. One can argue either way really.

I know that some dealers are a bit more flexible and some are not in Germany when it comes to these things. Sometimes one can talk to BMW. Make it clear that this way you are not really looking into buying another bike/car from them. I don't think it is dishonest by them. Is it a smart move by them? Nope. All you can do now is try to negotiate and see if they budge.

From the BMSI website using google translate:

3.Services to be performed under the Service Inclusive Service from BMW Motorrad will be based on information from the motorcycle's on-board computer and standard BMW instructions.Services to be performed must be in accordance with established guidelines. These are included in the BMW maintenance schedule which may be revised or modified in the future according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

4. The motorcycle must reach a specified maintenance period and have a maintenance work performed in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications. The service to be performed must be scheduled before the service can be performed. This can be identified by the motorcycle service warning light.

5. In the event that the motorcycle undergoes any modification or performance improvement Without permission The right to receive any service or spare parts under BMW Service Inclusive will expire immediately.

6. The motorcycle must be serviced only at a BMW Motorrad authorized workshop by authorized BMW technicians.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.th/th/service/service-inclusive.html#/section-service-inclusive

Interestingly - the service light hasn’t actually come on !!!... 

[Services to be performed must be in accordance with established guidelines] - this part is interesting, no written guidelines (for public).

[The motorcycle must reach a specified maintenance period] - which indicates I couldn’t have it serviced at 900km, I’d have to wait until 1000km. There is no comment about ‘exceeding’ the period, or what the range is. 

I’ll make some calls tomorrow morning before I head back to the dealership.

If there is a clear written guideline and I’m outside of that, then thats fine. However, I’d like to be armed before I go and questions them directly. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bodga said:
7 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

The motorcycle must be serviced only at a BMW Motorrad authorized workshop by authorized BMW technicians.

illegal to say that in many euro countries

I think thats within the terms of the BMSI - it makes sense. 

The Motorcycle can be serviced by anyone, however, if BMSI is to be honoured and remain valid, servicing must be carried out by authorised BMW techs. 

28 minutes ago, bodga said:

illegal to say that in many euro countries

As Richard said these are the conditions for the voluntary BMSI. You are free to service your bike somewhere else or do it yourself. But BMW wont cover your parts or next service costs etc anymore. I think that's a totally reasonable condition.

7 minutes ago, SteveK said:

My Honda Wave had 1300 km on it when I took it for the free first service, they said nothing. These guys are taking the Mickey with you considering that your bike would have cost 15x more. Definitely get in touch with BMW head office, they don't want their customers being treated like this, I can assure you of that.

Frankly I'm disgusted with this, and will not be buying a BMW in Thailand!

>>Frankly I'm disgusted with this, and will not be buying a BMW in Thailand!<<   I am sure they will be crying into their goulash soup  <<

Here when under warranty any dealership has you by the balls. Back in Oz, consumer affairs made sure as long as your bike/vehicle was serviced by a registered/licensed mechanic your warranty was valid, suffice to say BMW wanted $1,000AUS for replacement of front breaks, my mate Billy would drive to my place, replace the brakes, sign off on it and provide me with his receipt for $350AUS inclusive of brakes.

I don't believe the since you are over the 1,000 kilometre thing you have to pay for ir, if you want to let one rip, (I would) take it all the way to the top, and if you don't get a response, which you will, I would threaten to tell them that you will make sure that you will let as many people, bike clubs know of your experience with the dealership you purchased the bike from and you will take your bike elsewhere for servicing, and yes, pay for it out of your pocket, don't forget to provide the receipt and your account details for reimbursement, but seriously what is going to go wrong with it in the 1st 3 years, it's a BMW and all it's going to need in the next 1.5 years is oil changes, possibly chain tightening, and some air in your tyres.

I understand the principal, just hope you got a receipt and your book stamped.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would threaten to tell them that you will make sure that you will let as many people, bike clubs know of your experience with the dealership you purchased the bike from  

Most companies these days know that a shoddy experience can go viral in a few hours, potentially having a huge effect on their reputation. If they want to lose thousands of customers over 4000 baht then it's up to them. Don't worry about getting the book stamped, I always used trusted third-party mechanics for servicing who didn't stamp the book, never had a problem selling a bike because I just showed the servicing receipts. 

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1