Open letter from long-stay tourist in Phuket spurs action from Prime Minister

webfact

9 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Why doesnt he get either a retirement visa or an Elite visa ?

He can get Elite. Perhaps he is too old or had health issues to buy redundant expensive Thai insurance when he is probably insured already? I could not use my comprehensive US insurance this year simply because they won't sign a bit of paper properly that costs them nothing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Why doesnt he get either a retirement visa or an Elite visa ?

Perhaps he cannot afford the Elite visa, or the €22K deposit for the Retirement extension, on top of what he already spend to live here.

Is it even possible to apply for those visas without leaving the country? I don't know.

Presumably he ran out of options but the simple reality is that, right now, in this incredibly unusual situation, small Thai businesses actually need the income from Bernhard and hundreds of thousands of others like him.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

In his open letter, published online by The Phuket News on Aug 22, Mr Stoever urged the Thai government to consider the circumstances he and many other long-stay tourists already staying in Thailand were facing. 

and he just open a "big" can of worms.....

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Poet said:

Perhaps he cannot afford the Elite visa, or the €22K deposit for the Retirement extension, on top of what he already spend to live here.

Is it even possible to apply for those visas without leaving the country? I don't know.

Presumably he ran out of options but the simple reality is that, right now, in this incredibly unusual situation, small Thai businesses actually need the income from Bernhard and hundreds of thousands of others like him.

Its quite possible to get long term visas for less than 100 Baht per day , all inclusive  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Its quite possible to get long term visas for less than 100 Baht per day , all inclusive  

Yes, I have heard that you can buy a volunteer visa under the table for around 35k per year, which is indeed around 100 Baht per day.

10 minutes ago, roger101 said:

Perhaps he only planned for 3 or 4 months stay. A  60 day Tourist Visa, 30 Day Extension and possibly a Visa run to give him 3 or 4 months.

And why would you want to deport him. He hasn't done anything wrong.

The immigration clearly said that people who can leave have to leave. And now Bernhard does not want to listen. I think we all should accept that most Thais have nothing to do with us. We are NOT SO important. Mass tourism yes but not some stranded tourists who are stranded because they don't want to accept decisions the government made. If he continues like this then he will be on overstay and then he will be deported. Hope he doesn't complain then like many other overstayers... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Berti said:

How did he survive up to now in Germany, a country with a highly developed social system and one of the best healthcare systems in the world?

It is disgusting to see a grown up man begging to bend the rules for him like a little puppy.

Embarrassing to see the deceit , groveling and begging  as well 

• Like 1