'Bad' students make a strong case for reforms with huge rally at ministry

rooster59

11 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

My Wife has three friends who are so called 'Teachers'.    None of them like work and only do the job because it has a Pension at the end of it and they get tons of Credit to buy new cars, phones and other luxury items.  They run up huge debts, (one of them is over 2 million in debt), and then complain about said debt !    If i ask any of them about actually 'teaching' the Kids they usually shrug it off and say Thai Kids are generally lazy and don't want to learn.   They only show enthusiasm about all the free trips they get during the year to one place or another; basically they come across as freeloaders !

Good news for the tutorial schools.  

39 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Thai Kids are generally lazy and don't want to learn.   They only show enthusiasm about all the free trips they get during the year to one place or another; basically they come across as freeloaders !

and these are the kid protesters who want their voice heard.  Gimme a break  !

TIT ....  it is what it is .... sometimes we don't agree with the government, however it's better than before.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 13
  • Haha 2

Mrs qualified as a teacher in the 90's then they have to take the weird teaching exam to get on the list for vacancies. The 'pass' mark in those days with a good list slot was 200k or 4-5 years starting pay, she passed but too far down the list and was not offered a job. Niece is doing the 2 day exam this weekend, think it's every 2 years, not heard about bribes so far but she has not finished yet. So a proportion of teachers probably should not even be in their positions to start with. Have 3 others in the family teaching who as far as I know did not pay bribes, but I don't think they are up to much, never seen one book in any of their houses, even years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

My Wife has three friends who are so called 'Teachers'.    None of them like work and only do the job because it has a Pension at the end of it and they get tons of Credit to buy new cars, phones and other luxury items.  They run up huge debts, (one of them is over 2 million in debt), and then complain about said debt !    If i ask any of them about actually 'teaching' the Kids they usually shrug it off and say Thai Kids are generally lazy and don't want to learn.   They only show enthusiasm about all the free trips they get during the year to one place or another; basically they come across as freeloaders !

Free healthcare for all the family.........?

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

It just happens to be their country and their future. I dont think they need advice or permission from an old foreign guest do you?

But surely  then age  in Thailand is  VERY  important and "Old"  foreign guests are..........well,  OLD and therefore deserve respect  according to Thai culture

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

These young ones are very "good Thais" who are attempting to move their nation forward, and rid Thailand of regressive, backward, non visionary, and toxic army control.

They are exactly what Thailand needs. Many of us are hoping they keep it up, continue to demonstrate their convictions, their courage and their love of their nation. The army needs to get out. The sooner, the better. They are despised by the masses. 

The Students were not protesting against the Thai Government and they were not calling for democracy in Thailand and they dont want the army to go .

The Students just wanted reduced school hours , less work and for schools to treat them better .

This was a demonstration about School conditions 

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

The Students were not protesting against the Thai Government and they were not calling for democracy in Thailand and they dont want the army to go .

The Students just wanted reduced school hours , less work and for schools to treat them better .

This was a demonstration about School conditions 

Maybe this one demonstration. But not most. 

Thailand’s Student-led Anti-government Protests Grow

The student-led protest movement has declared three core demands: holding new elections, amending the constitution, and ending the intimidation of critics of the government.

https://thediplomat.com/2020/08/thailands-student-led-anti-government-protests-grow/

• Like 2

13 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

I'm well aware of this and there's more.

My Thai son went to high school in Singapore, so he became well aware of student centered learning / project based learning / push the kids to analyse what they were learning and ask questions & discuss as part of all lessons. 

Then returned to LOS and completed the 5 year B.Ed. program. Many times during the 5 years he had to do 1 week - 1 semester work experience at real schools in Bkk. He tried to start up 

He tried to start up student centered learning / project based learning / push the kids to analyse what they were learning and ask questions & discuss as part of all lessons. Every time the other teachers reported him to the head. The head lady was quite keen to try this concept and she encouraged the other teachers to observe and try it. But ultimately the pressure from other teachers pushed him to stop. 

He was shocked at the lack of value to the kids coming from many other teachers, including making the kids do teachers admin. work (which there is a lot of). 

His worst experience was as above trying to get the kids to analyse and discuss etc., and the other teachers went on mass to the heads' office and demanded she tell them verbally and sign a paper that reform of teaching methods would never be installed into that school and she would never mention it again and agree that she would dismiss my son immediately.

Ultimately the head was frightened of the other teachers, she agreed to all of their demands and my son was told to leave the premises immediately.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

On 9/6/2020 at 8:33 PM, spidermike007 said:

These young ones are very "good Thais" who are attempting to move their nation forward, and rid Thailand of regressive, backward, non visionary, and toxic army control.

They are exactly what Thailand needs. Many of us are hoping they keep it up, continue to demonstrate their convictions, their courage and their love of their nation. The army needs to get out. The sooner, the better. They are despised by the masses. 

Even if your last sentences were true, it isn't just about the army any more, is it? These demonstrators have shot themselves in the foot by bringing another (more dearly loved) institution into it - and now divided the country into two and therefor lost half of the country's support. Unwise.