Warning Do Not Buy Tickets Yourself To Thailand???

4 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

I thought flights (for now) were organised by the Thai Embassy abroad, and then seats sold to those who express interest and are approved for travel... Or has that changed?

Yes that is what I understand too. But all these people that operate on their own, and buy their own tickets all the time... THAT is what I wrote about.

glegolo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

I thought flights (for now) were organised by the Thai Embassy abroad, and then seats sold to those who express interest and are approved for travel... Or has that changed?

Yes, it has changed.  Although the paperwork and ASQ is the same, some (all?) Embassies will now approve travel on flights they have not organised.

These appear to be transit flights which stop at Bangkok enroute to their final destination, which is probably key to getting round the ruling which disallows most passenger flights.  Emirates for example run a daily service and other forum contributors have received COE from their Embassy to travel on these flights.  KLM is another which has 2 or 3 flights with a Bangkok transit stop.

Edited by treetops

The same as the online booking agents that are selling hotels and trips to countries that have closed borders. Yes , of course you can book a great deal to Bali etc, but will it be cancelled, will the hotel close due to Covid, will your government or the countries government close borders again ? And most important, will you get your money back ? A nephew of mine had his holiday in Thailand cancelled . The airline reimbursed albeit after a few months, but the expensive Phi Phi hotel didn’t.

Regard;ess of cost , inconvenience why would anyone volunteer to sit in a tube full of strangers for hours until pandemic over.I would not go free and yet I have seen many are not just buying several over priced tickets and not receiving timely refunds from ailines/agents who may  become.insolvent  bankrupt or otherwise wriggle out of refunds.

• Like 1

Note that some people are holding tickets issued pre-COVID, with segments remaining. And others may have had the ticket re-issued for future travel, with or without open segments. And still others may have taken a voucher, rather than a refund, who may have applied that to a newly issued ticket. And some folks may be holding itins based on an award (miles).

So there are some dealing with cancellations related to open PNRs.

Many airline rez systems do present a bold warning, often in red, that there may be travel restrictions based on the selected cities.

15 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Yes you'll only get to Thailand on repatriation flights at this time,  and only with the assistance from your Thai embassy if you meet the groups of people that are allowed entry. 

15 hours ago, geisha said:

The same as the online booking agents that are selling hotels and trips to countries that have closed borders. Yes , of course you can book a great deal to Bali etc, but will it be cancelled, will the hotel close due to Covid, will your government or the countries government close borders again ? And most important, will you get your money back ? A nephew of mine had his holiday in Thailand cancelled . The airline reimbursed albeit after a few months, but the expensive Phi Phi hotel didn’t.

Selling standalone hotels doesn't have much to do with international travel though. You can book on Expedia, Booking, Hotels.com etc from anywhere even if you're already in-country. It's simply a distribution channel.

If a hotel closes or a flight cancels you will always get your money back. Yes sometimes it may take a while but you'll get it back. You can also file for a chargeback with your cc company.

Last but not least keep in mind that many airlines around the globe do still operate their flights and some people are allowed to travel (like nationals of the destination country). Just because the immigration regulations say some passenger can't enter doesn't make it the responsibility of the carrier to refund unless they cancel the flight. The rules for package holidays are different. In countries such as Germany and the UK package customers have specials protections under consumer law that also mandate a fast, full refund.

5 hours ago, treetops said:

That is incorrect as mentioned in post #4 above.

I think you may be incorrect. It's my understanding that transit flights are not allowed to discharge passengers but are allowed to accept outbound passengers. While a number of airlines do still sell tickets to Thailand they are also not allowed to discharge passengers unless contracted as a repatriation flight and typically cancel flights and depending on their policy refunds are in limbo. I may be incorrect here and I'm sure I'll get the usually opinion and here say based blow back but maybe someone with facts will also chime in.  

8 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I think you may be incorrect. It's my understanding that transit flights are not allowed to discharge passengers but are allowed to accept outbound passengers. While a number of airlines do still sell tickets to Thailand they are also not allowed to discharge passengers unless contracted as a repatriation flight and typically cancel flights and depending on their policy refunds are in limbo. I may be incorrect here and I'm sure I'll get the usually opinion and here say based blow back but maybe someone with facts will also chime in.  

The most recent news is that Emirates (at least) and possible one or two other airlines have been given permission to carry and drop off foreigners only with COE.

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The most recent news is that Emirates (at least) and possible one or two other airlines have been given permission to carry and drop off foreigners only with COE.

I doubt that very much unless it is a repatriation flight, arranged through the Thai embassy, with related quarantine requirements.

However, show me some hard evidence to the contrary and I will stand corrected.

12 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I doubt that very much unless it is a repatriation flight, arranged through the Thai embassy, with related quarantine requirements.

Emirates is doing flights from Dubai to Bangkok that are considered as repatriation flights. See: https://dubai.thaiembassy.org/en/index

From that site.

image.png.585551d9a7c4054d98c129abdff1597f.png

You can apply at any embassy to get the certificate of entry and board the flights in Dubai. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Emirates is doing flights from Dubai to Bangkok that are considered as repatriation flights. See: https://dubai.thaiembassy.org/en/index

From that site.

image.png.585551d9a7c4054d98c129abdff1597f.png

You can apply at any embassy to get the certificate of entry and board the flights in Dubai. 

Thank you..... my point is that there are no commercial/scheduled flights into Thailand  -  irrespective of what individual airlines might advertise.

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Thank you..... my point is that there are no commercial/scheduled flights into Thailand  -  irrespective of what individual airlines might advertise.

The Emirates flights are commercial and and scheduled flights and that is posted on the consulate website.

There may be some others have made the same arrangement with CAAT. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

To get the COE, you need to have an ASQ booking, insurance, Covid-19 test and all the other normal requirements .

18 hours ago, Dan O said:

https://dubai.thaiembassy.org/en/content/emirates-airline-has-been-approved-by-the-caat-to?cate=5d663d7d15e39c3a380001ca

I believe the issue is that Emirates issued a statement saying they were offering flights to Thailand but had never been given that permission by Thailand. It's much like many other airlines in that they are selling tickets on flights that are not authorized and then canceling the flights. Good way to make cash flow to keep them afloat until true transportation services can return. Again, people offering information that may be opinion or factless as fact and causing more confusion that already occurring. 

Edited by Dan O

This story may be still in question last I checked. They original made the announcement prior to mainland Thailand issuing the approval. Then it changed to being "repatriation" flights of sorts for foreigners returning under the official guidelines and handled thru the Thai embassy. So it's not any airlines and it's not a truely open commercial flight, and would still be considered repatriation type flight just for non thais.

Edited by Dan O

4 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I believe the issue is that Emirates issued a statement saying they were offering flights to Thailand but had never been given that permission by Thailand.

They had been given permission by the CAAT, but the local consulate weren't aware so put out a statement saying as much.  The consulate have since replaced that statement with the description of what is needed to get on these flights and enter Thailand.

They perhaps could loosely be called repatriation flights as it's not returning Thais home but non Thais to an adopted home, but that's semantics.  It's certainly open, commercial and bookable by anyone although whether they can board it will depend on their paperwork, which is true of all flights.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 6:19 PM, Dan O said:

I believe the issue is that Emirates issued a statement saying they were offering flights to Thailand but had never been given that permission by Thailand. It's much like many other airlines in that they are selling tickets on flights that are not authorized and then canceling the flights. Good way to make cash flow to keep them afloat until true transportation services can return. Again, people offering information that may be opinion or factless as fact and causing more confusion that already occurring. 

Well i have my Emirates flight booked - booked myself through their regular website, which does pre-warn before payment accepted that you need to meet the requirements: covid insurance, visa, COE, covid test and fit to fly.

As well as the Thai embassy in Dubai verifying that these flights are valid (Emirates have approval for a limited time and thais cannot use them), and it being reported in the news when announced, the Thai London embassy sent me an email alerting me to the fact Emirates are flying.

And after emailing confirmation of my flight booking + ASQ booking to the london embassy, i have received from them my COE.

It's understandable to be suspicious and wary this could be a ruse by the airline to help with cashflow - i think there are examples a few months back of some airlines pulling this stunt in europe. 

But for people with the necessary paperwork and keen to fly back now, planting that seed in their minds is probably unhelpful.  Would two embassies be in on this trick? If no thais are permitted to take these emirates flights then why does the plane land in BKK en route to Hong Kong, and who is getting off there?

• Thanks 1

Emirates cancelled my August flight. I am still awaiting a refund or voucher from them.

As for jumping the hoops to Thailand....nope....I tried but it just wasn't worth it.  AT a rough estimate it was going to cost around £5000 depending on my luck with flight costs etc.  That works out at almost 1/3 of the salary I stood to earn in LOS.

Add to that the bleak outlook for the country and the fact that I would still have some bills to pay here whilst away it is a fools errand.

The lure for me was the heat, the food and the ability to hop around S.E. Asia.  Pipe dreams now. I get the impression that things are going to get very very grim soon.

On 9/11/2020 at 7:27 PM, BritTim said:

And ASQ quarantine hotel booking and covid test or are the latter under the umbrella of the COE.

16 minutes ago, Nout said:

And ASQ quarantine hotel booking and covid test or are the latter under the umbrella of the COE.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/119247-requirements-for-certificate-of-entry-during-travel-restriction?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Knock yourself out! It gives me a mind ache just looking at it.

There is confusion between repatriation flights and repatriation on scheduled flights.

Just contact your local Thai Embassy or consulate and comply with ALL requirements.

Ask those returned to Thailand and detailed their accomplishment to ASQ related FB groups.

They are comparing hotels, uploading pics of their breakfasts. Perhaps have a look.

NH, CX, BR, KE, EK, KLM etc, many flights arriving now. It would not be nice to warn people not to buy tickets "themselves" to Thailand now. Getting a refund is not BIG problem, it is a time problem.

Do not use third party sites, do not use travel agents. Buy direct from the airline. I would not select a bankrupt carrier unless it was a special repatriation flight arranged through your local Thai Embassy.

Time to stop the fear mongering and sensationalism