Girlfriend stole our 6 month old son, and we are not married.

kuzmabruk

I have all the papers with me, but I know this means squat.

i did not register as the father of the boy, except on birth certificate, which means squat.

any clear knowledgeable opinions on my options?

i am not going to go to Isaan and steal him.  

I am willing to buy the sole right to be his father and only parent, but at the moment we are not communicating and also the lady in question and her family know my assets and for me to be paying her/her family tens of millions of Baht is not an option I will consider.

Anybody with any experience in how to deal with this?

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Preacher said:

legally she has not stolen your son. Legally she currently has sole parental rights and you none. If you want to change that you will have to petition the court to be recognized as the legal father. You will also have to file for joined parental rights with the mother. (Can't say if it will be granted) Joined custody can be hell and the mother will probably get main custody.

Judges are reluctant to give you sole custody and you will definitely have to negotiate with the mother about that.

If in Isaan, you might want to consider contacting Isaanlawyers and discuss your options. 

You are correct he needs to weigh up his options and how much he prepared to spend Ive seen people 12 to 13 years down the line still having trouble as I said already it's down to money

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I would like to say she didn't steal him it's her son also, it depends on what you want to do, do you want custody of your son? I dont think thats going to happen seeing that you are a farang in any case difficult,

From the cases I have known over the years it all boils down to money I knew of one case the mother would agree to handing the son over for a fee of 250,000 Baht 

Im sure lots of guys on here will give you first hand experience but anyway Good Luck

Not sure that's good advice, what's to stop the mother from taking the child back after the money is gone? Unless the OP leaves Thailand, and I can imagine the difficulty he would have with the Thai authorities doing that.

Most jurisdictions side with the mother, irrespective of circumstances.

kuzmabruk:

You asked for advice on an anonymous internet forum from people who have experience in this - perhaps, someone with direct experience will reply. 

However - every situation is different. In your shoes I would be contacting several Thai lawyers requesting their advice and costs to handle your case. Compare their responses and choose wisely. Only an assumption but the Thai lawyer you select will contact your childs mother and negotiations will begin. 

It is all bout your child - what is best for the child should be everyones focus. Decisions need to be without emotion. Talk to Thai lawyers and discuss your options. Good luck to you - take care of your son.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Not sure that's good advice, what's to stop the mother from taking the child back after the money is gone? Unless the OP leaves Thailand, and I can imagine the difficulty he would have with the Thai authorities doing that.

Most jurisdictions side with the mother, irrespective of circumstances.

To leave Thailand with the kid he would need permission from the mother not easy when immigration see a farang with a kid 

20 minutes ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

kuzmabruk:

You asked for advice on an anonymous internet forum from people who have experience in this - perhaps, someone with direct experience will reply. 

However - every situation is different. In your shoes I would be contacting several Thai lawyers requesting their advice and costs to handle your case. Compare their responses and choose wisely. Only an assumption but the Thai lawyer you select will contact your childs mother and negotiations will begin. 

It is all bout your child - what is best for the child should be everyones focus. Decisions need to be without emotion. Talk to Thai lawyers and discuss your options. Good luck to you - take care of your son.

He has no legal rights to the Child .

There is nothing a lawyer can do, apart from charge a fee 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

It's obvious that your relationship has failed at this point in time, and she has up and left you taking your son, noting that he belongs to both of you, and he is not a possession so she didn't steal him, and you cannot calve him down the middle.

Firstly you need to look at the reason why she left you, e.g. women in relationships don't just up and go if they are happy in the relationship and I would presume that either you weren't listening to what she was saying, or she was damaged goods that you took on.

Either way you are the only one that knows what made her up and go, and if you want her back then it's up to you to try and make it good, i.e. if you or she wants to return to what your relationship was like before she left you, but if it wasn't good from the beginning, don't bother otherwise it will get worse now that there is a child in the picture.

She may have done you a favor, e.g. you may not have been happy in the relationship, if that is the case then take it on the chin and move on, life is to be happy and loved, not miserable and in an unhealthy relationship with no love, just pain.

Getting your son back is going to be a major effort and if you do get to have him under custodial rights, do you know what you are getting yourself into. Trying to raise a 6 month old child is a major task and what psychological trauma might the child have not being reared by his mother, I mean women are built for this job and kids yearn for their mother more than they do for their father, it will be tough for you, believe you me, been there, done that, on a shared care bases, one week with me and one week with the kids mother two decades ago.

Letting your anger go is the first thing you need to do, cool down, then you can think straight, then try to talk to her without getting into a fight, if she doesn't want to patch things up, accept it, then find a way how you can see your son and contribute to her raising him, if she doesn't grant you visitation rights, then accept that, you can then decide whether you want to contribute to the child's needs or not, in other words, she might have the power over you by having your son, but you have the power over her raising your son via contributions to make the kids life better, that said one has to try and find neutral ground.

The above is the reality of your situation, how you got to this, only you know, just remember, what you are going through is not cancer or some disease that you are going to die from, so you have a choice to move on and get back onto the horse that threw you off, and you can get back onto another a little later and try again, but not before you have a look at yourself in the mirror and asking yourself if you were the real cause and whether you can learn from your mistakes, if it wasn't your fault, ok you got done over by one that had baggage that you didn't see or knew, and tried to fix, but found out you can't fix what is broken and cost you dearly.

I think that just about sums it up, as for getting a lawyer, well, unless your prepared to throw money away that could possibly go towards your son, then wouldn't bother because from where I am sitting, I believe you don't stand a chance in getting him back unless you stand a chance in patching things up with her, and don't do it to think you can then do the same to her as she did to you, don't forget where you are.

Best of luck.

Good Advise 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, tifino said:

Note to self:   Cut ans Save a Lock of the kids hair...

- for in future conflict/separation as per OP; it may be the only DNA evidence left available to work with 

(I'm focusing on Paternity Tests)

Reminds me of that verse from Gold Digger.

"If you ain't no punk holla we want prenup
We want prenup! Yeah
It's something that you need to have
'Cause when she leave yo ass she gon' leave with half
18 years, 18 years
And on her 18th birthday he found out it wasn't his"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Yes, find a good woman and establish a marriage before making babies - that's called 'family' and is preferable to simple 'copulation' when children are desired.

I'm of an age where copulation is still a pleasant activity. Doing it for the sake of procreation would have me contemplating an orchidectomy to make sure, as vasectomies sometimes don't take.

8 hours ago, kuzmabruk said:

to be paying her/her family tens of millions of Baht is not an option

looooooooooooool

let me be sarcastic like most on TV :  just find a new girlfriend

or wait till the money of this one dries up and she will throw you the baby for nothing

or did you consider, the child is NOT EVEN YOURS

but maybe some other guy she fooled around with

Edited by Bender Rodriguez
  • Like 2