Do you always change both tires together?

MrJ

Hi,

so far always changed them together, but this time after about 12k km front nearly at indicator and worn and back tires has at least 2-3k km left (XMax 300, Pirelli Rosso)

For your info OEM tires have been worn after around 10k (front more as well) and The  Pirellis have considerable more grip

so considering to change front tire only ? How do you handle?

thanks

7FE11BE4-99F4-46D2-A6E7-90F2F1497BB4.jpeg

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Muzzique said:

You should change both together otherwise you can have different tractions front and rear which can lead to imbalanced braking. Same goes for brake pads.

Wear is not always the indicators of tyres life. The weathering of the tyre is just as important. 

I have to disagree on brake pads. If the rear ones are still having 70 %, there's no reason to change them.

Only if you see unusual scratches on the disk that indicates that there's something wrong, for example the caliper, or unusual wear of the brake pads. 

I was trying to save money and rode an1100 cc bike with a weight of 250 kg with a hard tire until the day when I had to hit the irons pretty hard.

The da_n  bike was sliding passed the woman who crossed the road without looking. That scared the shi_e out of me and I immediately changed the tire on the same day.

A Dunlop, all Thai mechanics said it's okay, no problem, but that's bs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, alx123 said:

Wear marks reached or 2 years used.

The rear usually wears twice as fast. 

But next time will change both at the same time, I like the confidence and road feel of new tires on both front and rear. 

Better to be safe than sorry. I had an accident and got an artificial knee joint doing only 30 km/h when I had a brake malfunction and tires that were too hard. 

• Thanks 1

Quite a lot of misinformation around.

as for tyre changes they go on wear and time, I have done hundreds of thousands of miles & kilometres. I have always been changing tyres based wear because for the last 20+ years I’ve been averaging 2,000 ~ 3000 km per month so my rear tyres got changed at around 9+10 months the front usually went for around 3 rear tyres. The bikes were 250 x 4 cylinder models so that, my riding style and not very slim build explain the wear pattern.

Difference in traction is incorrect  as the front tyre isn’t driven so doesn’t have traction, it does have grip but the front and rear will seldom have or need the same grip due to the huge changes in load depending on acceleration, braking or if you are cruising. Both the front and rear tyres vary between virtually 100% and almost 0% load, though my style is more like 80%~20% load change 

I also usually have different tyres with different rubber compounds front and rear, the front would be a faster wearing higher grip compound, the rear would often have a harder compound in the centre with softer higher grip to the outsides.

In Thailand I would probably not allow a tyre to go over about 3 years, possibly less with a bigger bike.

as to brakes I have never, and never would, changed front and rear at the same time unless they were both low. The rationale for that is completely made up. Brakes do not deteriorate with time

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, MrJ said:

so considering to change front tire only ? How do you handle?

Always change both at the same time.. it's all there is between you and the road.

Check manufacture dates too, some have been sitting around a long time.

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Quite a lot of misinformation around.

as for tyre changes they go on wear and time, I have done hundreds of thousands of miles & kilometres. I have always been changing tyres based wear because for the last 20+ years I’ve been averaging 2,000 ~ 3000 km per month so my rear tyres got changed at around 9+10 months the front usually went for around 3 rear tyres. The bikes were 250 x 4 cylinder models so that, my riding style and not very slim build explain the wear pattern.

Difference in traction is incorrect  as the front tyre isn’t driven so doesn’t have traction, it does have grip but the front and rear will seldom have or need the same grip due to the huge changes in load depending on acceleration, braking or if you are cruising. Both the front and rear tyres vary between virtually 100% and almost 0% load, though my style is more like 80%~20% load change 

I also usually have different tyres with different rubber compounds front and rear, the front would be a faster wearing higher grip compound, the rear would often have a harder compound in the centre with softer higher grip to the outsides.

In Thailand I would probably not allow a tyre to go over about 3 years, possibly less with a bigger bike.

as to brakes I have never, and never would, changed front and rear at the same time unless they were both low. The rationale for that is completely made up. Brakes do not deteriorate with time

So can you also explane to me why they change all 4 tires from a formula 1 car while doing a pitstop ?? I geuss because when they change all 4 tires they have the best grip and handling possible so i also geuss when you change the rear it's best to change the front as well as you want to have the best grip and handling on your bike as well and by doing so your safety is also higher . Or do they know nothing in formula 1 ?? 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

So can you also explain to me why they change all 4 tires from a formula 1 car while doing a pitstop ??

Rules? I suppose in theory so everyone spends the same amount of time stopped?

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Rules? I suppose in theory so everyone spends the same amount of time stopped?

So you really think it has nothing to do with grip ?? You never saw the animation on your screen by degradation of the tires ?? Front and rear and left and right having different degradation . Going back to topic , i think it will always be better to change both front and rear together . Nothing to do with costs saving money or whatever because that's not what the OP asked he asked what's better and that's what i think is better to change both . And you think it's so everyone spends the same amount of time stopped ?? Some teams win a second just doing their pitstop faster . You know how much a second is in formula 1 ? 5555 . Sorry don't mean to insult just think it's funny that you think it's because it's more fair to let them stop the same amount of time .

I don't think it's necessary as well, under the right circumstances.

1: Rear tire worn out after one year, I would only change the rear tire (Have to be matching pairs).

2: Rear tire worn out after 3 years, I would change both tires.

On the scooters I just change the tire that needs changing which sometimes are both. One time my wife drove app 1 km on a flat rear tire on my PCX, completely destroying the tire in the process, I was not amused that the less than 1000km tire was fxxxxx, I only bough a new rear tire on that occasion. 

3 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

So can you also explane to me why they change all 4 tires from a formula 1 car while doing a pitstop

Please explain what the relevance of high speed racing,

where incidentally the use tyres with no tread most of the time,

where the top teams don’t pay for the tyres,

where they are changed far earlier than private use,

to anything that has been discussed?

i also geuss when you change the rear it's best to change the front as well

No it isn’t, the grip is a factor of the “grip tread” which is different from the core material, as long as you have a sufficient depth of that left you have good handling. Wear indicators are relevant for riding in the wet and also suggest the depth of the “grip tread” which will be well under them.

Or do they know nothing in formula 1 ?

They know about winning races in formula 1. If you think that the race bikes have much to do with the bikes we ride that just shows  how little you know or how good the advertising is.

I once helped prepare a “street legal” race bike, it certainly wasn’t street legal though it conformed with the regs and wasn’t anything I would feel safe riding on real roads.

you are going to ride on these? Mr. Plod is going to be happy to see you.84587D76-E7F3-431F-B0F8-F9727AC78959.jpeg.a78331dd05949956c435e897bd8543a7.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Gosh, wear marks are there for a reason. Use them.

Unless the tire is old, you can still use it. You don't have to buy in pairs.

On the other hand..

On a scooter, change them as you wish, they're dirt cheap anyway. 

19 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

So can you also explane to me why they change all 4 tires from a formula 1 car while doing a pitstop ?? I geuss because when they change all 4 tires they have the best grip and handling possible so i also geuss when you change the rear it's best to change the front as well as you want to have the best grip and handling on your bike as well and by doing so your safety is also higher . Or do they know nothing in formula 1 ?? 

Race tires are softer compounds and they're running ridiculous speed that tires get really hot. Softer compounds and high temperature, you do the math. 

But then again, it's not bad to change both tires at the same time every time either, especially on a scooter as they're really cheap. 

7 hours ago, alx123 said:

Race tires are softer compounds and they're running ridiculous speed that tires get really hot. Softer compounds and high temperature, you do the math. 

But then again, it's not bad to change both tires at the same time every time either, especially on a scooter as they're really cheap. 

I understand the difference between F1 cars and motorbikes i'm a F1 fan and i drive a big bike , my point was that in formula 1 they use the best of the best and technoligy that they use in new cars and only the best counts , so if they change all 4 tires that must mean that's the best way to go . I also know that changing both tires on scooters is the best way to go and because the tires are cheap not a bad choice to make . But even on big bikes where the tires are more expensive it's the best way to go for your driveability and ofcourse for your (not the least reason to do it) SAFETY.