Best shop for steak

SidJames

I've had some hit & misses with beef steak purchases here so can a dedicated steak man point me in the right direction to buy top notch steak in town please?

I know Tops in Central is off the chart but so are their prices so a bargain would not go amiss (DM me with this so it's kept on the QT)

A popular topic on thaivisa. And while the website search on the site is not your friend, use google instead!

Pattaya beef site:thaivisa.com

Best place to buy good meat in Pattaya
By Dario, December 5, 2019 in Pattaya Forum

Sellers of raw beef in Pattaya
By kjun12, March 12, 2017 in Western Food in Thailand

Where to buy grass-fed beef?
By INV, July 29, 2019 in Pattaya Forum

Australian Beef At Big C!
By SaamBaht, May 16 in Western Food in Thailand

Australian Beef steak in Makro.
By CharlieH, October 29 in Western Food in Thailand

Pro Butcher Beef steaks and beef mince Makro
By Kenny202, July 21, 2019 in Western Food in Thailand

Harvey Australian Beef... gone?
By GoDucks, May 24 in Western Food in Thailand

Buying beef in Bangkok
By zleo99, June 25, 2019 in Bangkok Forum

• Like 1

Used to be a "Thai/Canadian/German" butcher shop on a small soi between Thepprasit and South Pattaya Roads. I think it changed it's name a couple times. It was located right next to a restaurant (Blue Olive ?).
The butcher shop had some meat (fresh/frozen) in a couple of small freezers in the front office but it seemed they mostly did orders. Pick out the cuts of meat from their catalogue (mostly Thai or Aussie beef and some Canadian I think) and then come back in a couple days to pick it up.
I never did any price comparisons so I have no idea if they are/were "competitive".

I see there's still a shop there (AKA - specialty wines and meats) and the restaurant is now called "Amber". No idea what the "AKA" shop might have in the way of meat now but if you are in the neighbourhood one day it couldn't hurt to stop in and check it out.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9098446,100.880117,3a,90y,330.19h,86.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1st44WvL6K-MtPAE0f4XEPDA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

• Like 1

I have bought the pre-wrapped steaks from Big-CX. There are 3 or 4 types and prices vary quite a lot... from high to silly... but I have taken care of my need for a steak fix for 600 baht or so.....it was pretty good with a simple blast in a frying pan. I think it was Angus steak from Oz. Didn't like the way they were heavily wrapped in plastic though.

19 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I have bought the pre-wrapped steaks from Big-CX. There are 3 or 4 types and prices vary quite a lot... from high to silly... but I have taken care of my need for a steak fix for 600 baht or so.....it was pretty good with a simple blast in a frying pan. I think it was Angus steak from Oz. Didn't like the way they were heavily wrapped in plastic though.

I think that is a requirement for shipping fresh meat from other countries (to prevent seepage and to keep anything contaminating the meat). 
I notice a lot of imported (fresh) meat items like that, sealed in a heavy plastic bag that is then re-wrapped in cellophane and labelled by whichever store is selling it. I've even seen some cheese wrapped like that as well.
Doesn't seem to apply to frozen meats though.

4 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I think that is a requirement for shipping fresh meat from other countries (to prevent seepage and to keep anything contaminating the meat). 
I notice a lot of imported (fresh) meat items like that, sealed in a heavy plastic bag that is then re-wrapped in cellophane and labelled by whichever store is selling it. I've even seen some cheese wrapped like that as well.
Doesn't seem to apply to frozen meats though.

Surprising they would be shipped as individual and individually wrapped steaks rather than a large joint that could be prepped by Big-CX themselves. I am avoiding frozen meats as a steak that has not been is much better. But, yes they are wrapped exactly as you say.

Edited by jacko45k

The fresh cut steaks on show at Big C extra Pattaya Klang take some beating, Rump & Fillet,   cheaper options  are found at Friendship supermarket  South Pattaya, but the quality there is a bit  hit & miss 

Edited by actonion

Big C Extra and Villa have the best fillet (tenderloin) steaks IMHO. Big C has a better range than Villa and they sometimes have special offers on, like Australian tenderloin reduced from 1900 Baht/kg to 1,500 Baht/kg. They also have US steak at about 1,900 Baht/kg and grass-fed NZ steak too, but at a ridiculous price like 3,000 Baht/kg.

I find that the Australian fillet steaks usually cost between 350 and 400 Baht a time as-packaged, say £9 to £10 each, which isn't really expensive for imported meat. Back in the UK, home-grown fillet steak in the likes of Sainsbury's will set you back around £6 to £7, so the mark-up's only around 50% compared with the usual 100%++ on other imported luxury food items. And some aficionados might argue that Australian grain-fed beef has a better and more-consistent finish than the grass-fed UK sort, so deserves a premium price. My favourite steak when living back in Europe was Argentinian, but I've had mixed experiences with it here and find that Australian beef has the most consistent quality in Thailand. Local Thai beef is fine for use in stews, but still surprisingly expensive.

I used to bring back half-a-dozen cheap fillet steaks from Aldi or Lidl whenever I went back to the UK, but given the relatively small price difference I'm quite happy buying my steak locally now. Not that C19 has given me any choice, of course, lol. Whatever, I see imported steak as one of the more affordable foreign foods, and I eat it regularly.

Edited by Guderian
  • Like 1

Sloane's has high quality Thai aged beef and a good site for ordering. Jagota (J Butcher) has a wide assortment of Aus imported beef and wagyu, and they will also seal into Umai bags for you if you want to dry age at home. Best Country Beef is a Thai producer who notably controls the entire supply chain, farm, butchery, sales, restaurant. All of them can pack in dry ice and ship to you.

1 hour ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Siamburis on Khao Talo must have the best value fillet at the moment,,,,,,,,,be aware it is frozen and best before end of this month

From their facebook page below

NZ whole tenderloin beef only 399 baht per kilo
Each piece weighs approximately 1.8kg
Quality piece of beef at an amazing price

fillet.jpg

That's unbelievable value, the only problem is that with the road works on Khao Talo around the shop it's like playing dodgems to get there at the moment.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

That's unbelievable value, the only problem is that with the road works on Khao Talo around the shop it's like playing dodgems to get there at the moment.

They are just on finishing the roadworks...............was there yesterday, from Khao Noi road on the left hand side is complete...........my guess would be maybe finished completely today

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

They are just on finishing the roadworks...............was there yesterday, from Khao Noi road on the left hand side is complete...........my guess would be maybe finished completely today

Update........just been up to Siamburi............all concreting finished both sides.........bikes can travel ok but they have the road blocked both ways for cars while they finish the manholes each side of the road.......... so the detour for cars still neccessary .

• Like 2

Just found the same steak even cheaper  349 a kilo..............Siam Expat Foods...Soi Siam Country Club.........only 100kgs left so be quick

https://www.facebook.com/siamexpatfood

Another 500 kg of NZ tenderloin arrived yesterday , we still have over 100 kg left for retail sale in the shop , only 349 a kilo , approx 1.5 to 2 kg primals.... @ Siam Expat Food

Edited by thaiflyer1

6 hours ago, redwood1 said:

As others have said the cheapest steak in Pattaya is cooked on the Big C grill their cheapest cuts...The 2nd Cheapest steak is that little Thai steak restaurant on 3rd road.... 

What do you do once it’s cooked on the grill? ????

On 11/6/2020 at 11:29 AM, thaiflyer1 said:

Update........just been up to Siamburi............all concreting finished both sides.........bikes can travel ok but they have the road blocked both ways for cars while they finish the manholes each side of the road.......... so the detour for cars still neccessary .

Thanks for the info about the road and the steak. I went out there this morning and there's nobody working on the road though with all the concrete blocks scattered around it's still an obstacle course. Siamburi's had two of the NZ tenderloins left, so I bought one and left the other for someone else.

On 11/6/2020 at 4:29 AM, thaiflyer1 said:

I was there probably a few hours after you and could drive right up and park at the door.  Still some work going on and a dodgy bit single lane with no controls, but it's almost there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, treetops said:

I was there probably a few hours after you and could drive right up and park at the door.  Still some work going on and a dodgy bit single lane with no controls, but it's almost there.

Thanks for that, I've been wanting to do a shop there but have held off until confirmation it's accessible, I'll do a run out first thing in the morning. On the steak topic I'm sure he posted the other day  he'd got another batch of the NZ tenderloin, I'd like to try it. I like the small vacuum packed tenderloins steaks they already stock. I usually buy a 200-250g sized one for around the 200 baht mark. Most tender I've had out of any shop in Pattaya. 

On 11/5/2020 at 10:03 AM, actonion said:

The fresh cut steaks on show at Big C extra Pattaya Klang take some beating, Rump & Fillet,   cheaper options  are found at Friendship supermarket  South Pattaya, but the quality there is a bit  hit & miss 

Try a Rib-Eye, that bit of marbling makes it tastier than a fillet.

• Like 1

I have always had very good quality from both Villa and Foodland at Terminal 21 albeit Villa seems to be a bit better and will cut to size and vacuum pack. I grab up a variety of Ribeyes, Striploin and Tenderloins when I am down that way on business. I always have them cut them 4 to 5 cm thick and then vacuum pack and pack on ice.  Very nice pulling one out the freezer and tossing it on the grill.