Single Entry Tourist Visa to Thailand now requires foreigners to show funds of 500k THB

webfact

6 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

Is Visa Exempt still available? Will it ever be available again? Somehow I think Thailand is finished as a destination. Time to extract my Thai wife from there and get on with life elsewhere in the world.

Does not affect me so have not taken any notice.

4 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

Is Visa Exempt still available? Will it ever be available again? Somehow I think Thailand is finished as a destination. Time to extract my Thai wife from there and get on with life elsewhere in the world.

She'll probably thank you. I know of a dozen or more Thai women who have gone to live overseas and not one, not one, wants to return to Thailand except maybe for a brief visit to see family. One in particular said she would return when her German husband died. He died six years ago and she's still there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

None of those options currently apply, there is no 30 day visa exempt entry, any entry has 2 weeks in quarantine, there is no option to do border runs.

of course i know that...

I'm ASSuming this new restriction is permanent.....so I'm talking about next year.

Yes, maybe it will go back to 20,000 after covid, but I doubt it...

we all know the situation now.

i don't see anywhere in the article where it says this requirement is only for a few months.

i might be wrong

42 minutes ago, Kiujunn said:

I asked for an example of one or two of the "hundreds" of places "cheaper and cleaner with infinitely better infrastructure and attitude and value " that you mentioned - and you came up with an unqualified rant.

Offhand I am unaware of anywhere in S E Asia that is throwing it's borders open to all comers. 

Hope somebody can tell me I'm wrong, wouldn't mind a trip to Cambo or Laos. 

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

My Luxury Card Gold Card, a MasterCard by Barclays has no limit, so how does that translate into showing someone a monetary amount since I have no spending limit.  If I wanted to buy a Lambo, and they took a Mastercard Gold, and Mastercard approved it, off of the showroom floor I drive.  I know plenty of people that do not have money just sitting around, instead they have assets that they can leverage, and by making a simple phone call they can get cash, many live there lives on their cards, and each is paid of monthly.

I agree with you but, as you wrote it, "and Mastercard approved it", that will require confirmation that you have the funds... and that is what is asked from the "tourists". Holding cards doesn't show one's credit, but, for some of us, a social status

6 hours ago, mvdf said:

Why are you all complaining and calling officials here "retarded"?? Isn't that what your own embassies demand from us Asians too if we want to go visit London or Chicago or Toronto? We too have to show a consistent bank balance maintained over a similar stretch of time to demonstrate that we are "eligible" to step foot on your holy soil! 

Stepping foot is different from staying and working as is with alot of “visitors “in Europe and USA. You dont get many farangs illegally working in Thailand for 20.000b a month

Edited by Bkktodd
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, dutchdude said:

the Vietnamees are laughing their asses off, I can see the billboards all over Europe , come to Vietnam its for free and it looks the same as Thailand and we speak better English

Despite a recent marketing blitz on CNN by the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism, at the present time, Vietnam isn't allowing tourists to enter and doesn't have any published plans to do so any time in the near future.

You may also have noticed that the Incredible !ndia tourist advertising is also currently running on European media.

On 11/11/2020 at 1:49 PM, Fairynuff said:

He’s wrong, and so are you. Out of the millions of tourists what percentage fall into the category you talk about? I’ll answer for you... a tiny percentage who get a lot of publicity.

Either way..... keep them out. If you want to stay long term, show you can afford it and there is less risk of you being a burden.

And there are loads of e beggars on youtube without a penny. Chuck them out as well. 

One has to have standards.

• Sad 2

There is plenty of countries in the world that offers better deals.... And of course next month Thailand will come with a new strategy and the story is not finished ....    Clearly the people creating these restrictions are not the ones impacted by the economic situation generated by the covid....

55 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

Is this the same visa one gets on arrival at the airport?

There is no visa on arrival or visa exempt 30 day entry at the moment. you dont on a plane or in to thailand without a visa, insurance etc

Edited by Peterw42

21 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

That was a long time ago ! Lots of things common everyday stuff in Thailand now more expensive than at home for me in Ireland considered to be an expensive country to live in. 

It is still cheap for many things.Hotel rooms are.Transport. yes you do not need to tell me about thailand.going there for 35 years and lived there for 12.Also costs in ireland.The place is dead now nearly all year.there will always be people who go there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChadKL said:

What about the safety and security implications? A tourist has to declare and prove significant cash assets in the bank, complete with bank statements, prior to and possibly upon entry to a foreign country. Anyone in possession of that information could easily communicate it to others, and the tourist then becomes a prime target (with known cash assets) ripe for robbery, fraud, kidnapping, or other crimes. I would definitely forego a visit to any country with such a requirement -- especially a place with widespread crime and corruption.

Yeah there used to be a lovely credit card scam doing just that from a very high "Power" duty free mob....... Credit card details for everyone ..........  lovely......

3 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Care to give examples?  Tourism is using the natural resources already available. Beaches, diving, shopping, etc.  if its good for other countries why not Thailand.  The friendliness and wonderful inexpensive food is what attracts alot of tourists.   Based on your economic assumptions then Maldives,. Most of Europe, Brazil should give up on tourism and make souvenirs to sell online

Which part of this statement did you find difficult, "The door is not closed, just not so wide open."

I can only assume your policy is to put all your eggs in one basket.

1 hour ago, ChadKL said:

What about the safety and security implications? A tourist has to declare and prove significant cash assets in the bank, complete with bank statements, prior to and possibly upon entry to a foreign country. Anyone in possession of that information could easily communicate it to others, and the tourist then becomes a prime target (with known cash assets) ripe for robbery, fraud, kidnapping, or other crimes. I would definitely forego a visit to any country with such a requirement -- especially a place with widespread crime and corruption.

Been standard practice for years for anyone applying for a UK visitor visa.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, hellohello123 said:

I cant think of any country that the general population is wealthy enough or the cost of living is so high that they have 500k baht equivalent for 6 months in an account

????‍♂️ Wow, I'm wealthy I guess.

• Haha 1