Retirement visa holders largest group of foreigners to enter Thailand in October

rooster59

Stirring the pot,  I have a Non-O, money in the bank etc, I leave the country go to point A, At point A, a buddy wants to return at the same time, we both apply thru Thai Embassy jump through all the required hoops I returning with my Non-O he is applying for a O-A, in his country Point A, he only needs 40,400,000 insurance yet I being on a Non-O have to have 100,000USD 3 million baht coverage. Does having a O-A come with some immune system?????

• Confused 2

28 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Stirring the pot,  I have a Non-O, money in the bank etc, I leave the country go to point A, At point A, a buddy wants to return at the same time, we both apply thru Thai Embassy jump through all the required hoops I returning with my Non-O he is applying for a O-A, in his country Point A, he only needs 40,400,000 insurance yet I being on a Non-O have to have 100,000USD 3 million baht coverage. Does having a O-A come with some immune system?????

O-A Visa requires 400,000 baht medical coverage and then when he applies for the COE he will also require the $100,000 covid insurance same as you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

O-A Visa requires 400,000 baht medical coverage and then when he applies for the COE he will also require the $100,000 covid insurance same as you.

And it seems that when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of RETIREMENT, it now also requires the IO-approved 400K/40K in/out-patient coverage insurance.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

And 800,000 baths equivalent banked funds, medical check, and clear criminal record check in home country.

Other than ASQ/COE O-A visa requirements are the same as prev covid.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Guderian said:

These people must be really desperate to come back with all the hurdles and expense, is life in their own countries truly that awful? My two best mates are stuck in the UK and Canada but they've both said they won't be returning until the quarantine period is done away with. They've both got their own property out here with loads of money in the bank, but the idea of paying through the nose to be locked in a grotty hotel room for a fortnight just so they can drink some overpriced Thai beer doesn't appeal to them.

A friend of mine has just done this in ASQ hotel.  Nice room balcony etc.  Only thing was NO ALCOHOL sales.  Only what you bring in your suitcase.

On 11/15/2020 at 10:53 AM, Guderian said:

These people must be really desperate to come back with all the hurdles and expense, is life in their own countries truly that awful? My two best mates are stuck in the UK and Canada but they've both said they won't be returning until the quarantine period is done away with. They've both got their own property out here with loads of money in the bank, but the idea of paying through the nose to be locked in a grotty hotel room for a fortnight just so they can drink some overpriced Thai beer doesn't appeal to them.

you can tell to your friends to don't worry about the overpriced Thai beer because none kind of alcohol could be served in quarantine rooms

I thought they didn't allow alcohol in lockup?

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

After 7 months of gloom and depression in locked down UK, my return to the Big Mango was totally worth it and my ASQ hotel was quite nice really.

And at least you can get a beer here unlike the UK. I’ve had several since getting out of quarantine.

Being in a Covid free city where everything is open, all my favourite Thai stuff is available and I don’t have to worry about a deadly disease is beyond price????

Don’t let common sense and facts get in the way of some ‘flawed negative opinions aimed at Thailand’ 

What you say about living in a Covid-19 free city is correct - life is clearly more relaxed here. 

Guderian fails to consider reality. 

20 hours ago, Marknreston said:

I have made multiple flight reservations in February and March in hopes I can get a retirement visa from Washington DC consulate.  Does anyone have solid information regarding “semi-commercial” flights.  Are all Cathay Pacific flight to BKK acceptable?   Sorry.  This is confusing to me 

See this list

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ijBJOTgFJPAuWUfkPIA60iniXB9j9Ba2XHafXzA6JCw/htmlview

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

I am in UK on a non o retirement with a re-entry permit.when this run out.i would then have to apply for an OA visa in the UK . but my 800.000 is I a fcd Thai Bank. How can I proff this ? As cant update bank book.

I had mine in an FTD, I just sent an email to the bank asking them to send me a statement. Was accepted for issuing me a new visa.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

And it seems that when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of RETIREMENT, it now also requires the IO-approved 400K/40K in/out-patient coverage insurance.

Yes its very interesting, now there is so little between them (additional 40 pounds for police check but you get multiple reentry permit as standard  included in O-A) it makes me wonder why we now have them both? Or to be more precise makes me wonder if MFA have/had something planned.

• Like 1

Anyone in the UK should go the Thai Embassy website and check who is allowed to enter the country there is ample information about "Who can enter the country during the covid-19 crisis?". 

There is a list of who can enter and RETERMENT is not on the list, regardless of if you have the money in the bank and/or a re-entry permit. If time runs out and you are out of the country you might have to start the whole process again with a multi entry visa plus whatever else is required at that time then convert back to a Retirement Visa later.

You can leave a comment or ask a question and you will get answer.

Have a look at the question posed on 13th of November about retirement and the answer.

A this is coming from the "official" Thai and not "what I think" or "how I interpret the situation" base you must make your own mind up about what you do but it looks like it could be a long wait, people on retire are older and therefore seen as perhaps more likely to contract the virus and bring it back with them.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, nong38 said:

There is a list of who can enter and RETERMENT is not on the list, regardless of if you have the money in the bank and/or a re-entry permit.

Non-Immigrant  O is on the list, and if applying you will see this screen so it appears Retirement is certainly covered.

image.png.18651eda1fbb625b8f4f726ec05e78f5.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, treetops said:

Non-Immigrant  O is on the list, and if applying you will see this screen so it appears Retirement is certainly covered.

image.png.18651eda1fbb625b8f4f726ec05e78f5.png

According to the list it reads to me that if you have spouses which would mean a Marriage Visa, look at the question and answer on 13th November on the Thai Embassy website in the UK and then you make your mind up if you want to take a chance on entry.

18 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I believe only if you are in receipt of the U.K. State Pension.

No.  I've got one in my passport and not old enough for state pension.

20 minutes ago, nong38 said:

According to the list it reads to me that if you have spouses which would mean a Marriage Visa, look at the question and answer on 13th November on the Thai Embassy website in the UK and then you make your mind up if you want to take a chance on entry.

I don't know what Q & A you're referring to, but the screenshot shows Non O being for retirement, and the London Embassy website clearly shows holders may enter, as do many other embassies.  There may be contradictory information floating about but this seems clear to me.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 2:05 PM, paddyfield7 said:

Sorry, although mentioned on page 2 of the PDF, I forgot to point out that this documentation was issued by the Royal Thai Embassy in Switzerland, and the rules of Thai Embassies in other countries may differ. 

• Like 1

This is only rich retirees, right? If I flew to UAE to see my kids, I would not comply with the 'millions in the bank' requirement to return. So I'd be trapped outside Thailand, with my English wife trapped inside. 

This is not about COVID now, is it? 

WHAT IS IT ABOUT? 

If the Thai government want to at least allow some foreigners back to benefit Thailand then they now seem to be going the right way. Visa holders of all types now appear to be permitted to enter the Kingdom (subject to CoE, Covid tests, Covid insurance and quarantine). Avoiding the word "Tourist" seems a good idea as it avoids pushback and strong feelings from <deleted> scared Thais and their paranoia. Once the government can say "we've admitted xx thousands of feorigners with no covid problems" and prove that us foreigners are not a risk if going though quarantine etc then the Thais will relax a bit and start to accept some real tourists.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

No.  I've got one in my passport and not old enough for state pension.

I don't know what Q & A you're referring to, but the screenshot shows Non O being for retirement, and the London Embassy website clearly shows holders may enter, as do many other embassies.  There may be contradictory information floating about but this seems clear to me.

If you are in receipt of the State Pension you do not require funds in the bank, before it was a Non O One year Multi Entry but changed last year to a 90 Day Single Entry. It can only be applied for in the U.K. 

Edited by Jumbo1968
More text

17 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

They do it now because we are experiencing a global pandemic,,, dohhh! Nothing to with freedom, the conspiracy theories are rife and i guess someone must believe them. The precautions are to protect you and your fellow man and to try and halt the spread of the virus, what you call "people expressing freedom" i call "people behaving like irresponsible idiots".

They've gotten it wrong in the past.Swine flu,bird flu.sars flu.All were touted as  potentially catastrophic ,yet that didn't happen.This is no different.

Worse thing to do is let someone else do the thinking for you.#commuter

Edited by The Now Factor
  • Sad 1

35K is hardly "paying through the nose" and the hotels are not grotty from reports I've seen...cost of living in UK and Canada compared to Thailand they would save that amount in no time...suppose if all they wanna do when here is drink beer, may as well stay where they are anyway.

• Like 1