Corrections department rebuts protest leaders' claims of substandard food in prisons

webfact

7 hours ago, uncleP said:

It is well documented  that food in Thai prisons is terrible. 54 baht per meal is a substantial amount considering what you pay on the street . Food could  be ordered in with the other 40% diverted into various  retirement funds ????????????

Re-  read it’s 54 b for all three meals 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grumpy one said:

Today its boiled fish head and rice, tomorrow its rice and boiled fish head , 2 different menu's  :cheesy:

You ever looked at the price fish heads and chicken feet are sold in Big C?

I doubt the prison budget covers such delicatessen.

• Haha 2

Sub-standard food for sub-standard humans. Checks out to me.

6 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

“All meal plans are notified to inmates in advance,..."

"...the department has been allocated a budget of only Bt54 per inmate per meal for three meals [a] day, which includes both ingredients and fuel costs,..."

54 baht a day, that's 18 baht per meal.

You can't even get a bowl of noodles for that at a street stall.

Yet, the department assures that everything is above board and that prison food is *not* substandard and that is all oh so nutritious.

Heck, they even issue "meal plans".

One can only surmise what these "meal plans" might look like:

MONDAY

Breakfast - fish head soup

Lunch - fish head soup

inner - fish head soup

TUESDAY

Breakfast - pork cartilage in watery rice soup

Lunch - pork cartilage in watery rice soup

Dinner - pork cartilage in watery rice soup

(to our Muslim inmates we serve sheep cartilage instead)

etc.

"that's 18 baht per meal," it literally says 54 baht per meal in the text you're quoting.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1/ Who believes a dinosaur?

2/ It is a disgusting habit of some posters to approve of any extra torturing of prisoners. It is up to the courts to pronounce a sentence, it is not up to the prison wardens to organise a little extra punishment.

Waiting for a "don't drop the soap" remark.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

1/ Who believes a dinosaur?

2/ It is a disgusting habit of some posters to approve of any extra torturing of prisoners. It is up to the courts to pronounce a sentence, it is not up to the prison wardens to organise a little extra punishment.

Waiting for a "don't drop the soap" remark.....

That’s right.....too much is for the prisoners to have to live in that hell.. Sorry.

Edited by Tarteso

5 minutes ago, Myran said:

"that's 18 baht per meal," it literally says 54 baht per meal in the text you're quoting.

Food for thousand people can be pretty cheap. They buy huge amounts of meat, veggies, while others who are poor have to live off a mama soup. 

10 minutes ago, Myran said:

Are you calling the protestors sub human? Shame on you.

Are you perhaps an arian Ubermensch?

• Like 2

A troll post that had already been removed and was subsequently re posted has been removed again, Please DO NOT post your troll rubbish on here that mods have to clean up.

9 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

No one is promised 5 star gourmet meals at the BKK Hiltons.

I understand your remark it’s not 5 star but to be honest having seen a sample of it I wouldn’t feed it to pigs a few years ago you could take food to the prison but they stopped that apparently to reduce the suicide rate as razor blades were allegedly found in some of the food parcels 

33 minutes ago, Myran said:

How can you say 18 baht per meal?

When i was in Buriram prison we only got 2 meals per day, breakfast at 7.30, afternoon meal at 4.30.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Do prison Governors eat the same food?.......no I don't think so.

I doubt the 54 Thb per meal is actually spent.....fish heads are

cheap. ????

regards Worgeordie

I love my homemade fish head soup. But it costs more than Bt54. Because I use a better class of fish head I suppose.????

• Haha 1

I guess if a person is totally poor which most probably are then they are stuck with whatever is served.

But, I was told from a female who spent some time in jail that if you have money (she did) you can buy anything.

Clean clothes daily, hot showers, pizza, McDonald's, KFC or whatever.  All provided in a private setting.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I think I saw something a while back saying inmates in the US prison system were fed for around $2-3 a day?!

The food in California prisons was horrific in the 1980s when a friend of mine was incarcerated there. I called the department of corrections in 1983 and asked for a menu of the meals that were to be served their inmates and they did not seem to have a clue about vitamin C. In fact, with the exception of a little coleslaw, there was no fresh fruit or vegetables on their menus.  So, my friend was lucky that the visitor's room in the prison had a vending machine that dispensed refrigerated apples.

19 minutes ago, TERMINATOR3AB said:

No silly   read it  well  54  baht  per  inmate  PER  MEAL  X3  MEALS = is  162 baht   per  day  

But  could be wrong  thats how it reads  

I initially interpreted  it the same way. But given the explanation of the  cost components in provision I can easily  believe that the  overall  budgeted figure may be true it is  more likely the food content  is a minor part of the cost.

In past years spent several  weeks in a Thai Public Hospital.The  medical standard was great but the  meals there were an abomination . The  7/11 on the ground floor was/is probably a goldmine. 

Prisoners, regardless of justification  or not  for incarceration, may object  to the standard of food but I have yet  to hear of complaints people actually starve to death. If that were the  situation then some  greater credence  could be given to advocates . Or  better yet  to advocate against  bogus incarceration  for minor offences.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Although the department has been allocated a budget of only Bt54 per inmate per meal for three meals day, which includes both ingredients and fuel costs...

I can live fine for 162 baht a day, in average I might even use little less for one person; however, does the 54 baht a meal also include the cost for the cook?