Biden says UK border with Ireland must be open

webfact

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

It has nothing to do with other countries telling you what to do. They have their interests and your country has your own. They have a right to demand whatever they want you got the right to refuse everything they want. They have the right to respond how they want. Just like the UK can walk away from the Brexit deal. That is all up to you. But you will have to live with the consequences too. 

The UK is not proving anything, wait and see the result of the negotiations. Then we will see who was right.

I guess as  a smaller country we are used to be flexible and think of our economy, some things are worth fighting for others are not. Depends on the issue. But your PM seemed to think he could dictate terms (see the quotes easiest negotiation ever ect). I think for a lot of Brits they have a wrong idea about how things work and how powerful they are.

You guys position just got worse, now its up to you guys to decide to stick up for your rights and perhaps get bad trade deals but you held your head up high while your economy suffers or to be flexible and accept what others want and have a better economy. 

Rob, I understand, you have been taking orders for so long now, it is a hard habit to break. The EU propaganda machine has been in overdrive for many years now and they have done a good job.

Another plastic paddy who thinks that because one of his ancestors from a long long time ago was from Ireland, he knows about the 'troubles'. I'm very happy he was elected president, but please, don't profess a deep love and understanding for a country you've never lived in.

" His great-great grandfather Patrick Blewitt was born in Ballina, Co Mayo, in 1832. Patrick left Ireland in the autumn of 1850 to settle in America."

9 hours ago, vogie said:

I don't want to see a border between the US and Mexico but it has got nothing what so-ever to do with me, and just because the President Elect has 1 ounce of Irish blood in him, Ireland has zippo to do with him.

That's OK, all Biden has done is say is "If you want a special treaty with me then..........up to you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Its so strange that Brexiteers don't get it their position is getting weaker and weaker and instead of the independence they sought they get bullied around by the more powerful countries. Its time for them to wake up and realize they have left the EU only to NOT regain power but to be told what to do by others again. 

I believe it was a mistake to leave but that episode is past and we are where we are.I really don't see the point of rehashing the arguments.How is the Brexiteers' position getting weaker? They have won and our side lost.Isn't the priority now to make the best of it?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, vogie said:

Rob, I understand, you have been taking orders for so long now, it is a hard habit to break. The EU propaganda machine has been in overdrive for many years now and they have done a good job.

The UK poodle is seeking a new owner, his old one asked for his opinions, the new one is a little stricter and you get to join in his wars.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I believe it was a mistake to leave but that episode is past and we are where we are.I really don't see the point of rehashing the arguments.How is the Brexiteers' position getting weaker? They have won and our side lost.Isn't the priority now to make the best of it?

How is your position getting weaker? By one of your main trading partners saying 'no trade agreement with us if you don't solve the Irish border issue some other way'. Something you're not willing to do.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Nah, its just that Dutch people understand compromise and trade. The Brexiteer Brits are more about freedom and nationalism. Probably also has something to do with the fact that we have many small parties in the Dutch political system so we are used to compromise. In the UK its more like who wins has everything. In the Netherlands no party is powerful enough to get it all so there is always a compromise needed.

I rather have more money in my pocket and a good life then a freedom that I won't feel. I mean the EU has not affected me in any negative way. Now with the Eu there is more money in my pocket and I would not win anything but a freedom that is not real.

Because once we leave the EU we would like the Brits have to make compromises again and we would be in a weaker position. Just like the Brits are now finding out. 

But do you understand "compromise and trade" or has the EU told you that you do, it would seem to many looking in on the EU that they will not accept any dissidence from any of its members nor do the members accept any criticism of the EU, scary Rob, 1984.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

Sorry that you missed out on learning the basics of economics, but your ignorance is too far gone at this point for me to fix.  Here's a link that might be helpful to you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Yet you have no ground to stand on and didn't deny my premises, so you rely on ad-hominem attacks.

Again, YOU admitted the Euro was a terrible idea for the EU periphery, shoved down their throat, favouring rich countries over poor, yet somehow the EU provides a fantastic deal for small countries.

If I fail at economics you are a lost cause in logical reasoning.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, vogie said:

But do you understand "compromise and trade" or has the EU told you that you do, it would seem to many looking in on the EU that they will not accept any dissidence from any of its members nor do the members accept any criticism of the EU, scary Rob, 1984.

Your funny, i have enough criticism on the EU. I am just saying even with all their faults its still better as going at it alone.

I have enough criticism on my own government too. Not sure how you could believe that anyone would not have any negative points on the EU. It never works out the way I want. That is because everyone has different opinions and the result is a compromise. That is what it is when your part of a larger block. You can't have it your way always.

Now you guys are finding out that you can't have it your way either when your alone. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

It has nothing to do with other countries telling you what to do. They have their interests and your country has your own. They have a right to demand whatever they want you got the right to refuse everything they want. They have the right to respond how they want. Just like the UK can walk away from the Brexit deal. That is all up to you. But you will have to live with the consequences too. 

The UK is not proving anything, wait and see the result of the negotiations. Then we will see who was right.

I guess as  a smaller country we are used to be flexible and think of our economy, some things are worth fighting for others are not. Depends on the issue. But your PM seemed to think he could dictate terms (see the quotes easiest negotiation ever ect). I think for a lot of Brits they have a wrong idea about how things work and how powerful they are.

You guys position just got worse, now its up to you guys to decide to stick up for your rights and perhaps get bad trade deals but you held your head up high while your economy suffers or to be flexible and accept what others want and have a better economy. 

The UK also wants the border to remain open , its the E.U's laws which will  cause it to close, if it does close

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, digger70 said:

What this has to do with JB .Not even in office and already Fapping his jaws .

JB  you will see He's gonna be trouble  for the poor country the USA 

Probably most Americans that have an opinion on this agree with Joe Biden. If you don’t like him or don't agree, fine. American presidents typically have opinions on international issues. Even isolationalist hyper nationalist pro Brexit Mr.Trump had his own strong opinions on such  matters. This shouldn't surprise you.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Probably most Americans that have an opinion on this agree with Joe Biden. If you don’t like him or don't agree, fine. American presidents typically have opinions on international issues. This shouldn't surprise you.

Although they should wait until they are President, before airing those opinions .

But he isnt just giving his opinion, he is getting involved with the negotiations .

Various parties have been discussing this for 30 years and he shows up at the last minute , uninvited and interferes with the discussion 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

I think everyone understands that presidents and world leaders have views on international issues. The problem is when they start bringing up their 'Irish' heritage and professing a profound and deep love for the homeland;

"Biden “recalled his strong Irish roots and his visit to Ireland with his family in 2016” as well as reaffirming “his full support for the Good Friday Agreement.”

This isn't an international view - he's attempting to hijack the conversation and make it personal - when it isn't.

10% of the US population has an Irish heritage - domestic politics will also be at play. The US has had a long involvement with the Northern Ireland peace process.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

I think everyone understands that presidents and world leaders have views on international issues. The problem is when they start bringing up their 'Irish' heritage and professing a profound and deep love for the homeland;

"Biden “recalled his strong Irish roots and his visit to Ireland with his family in 2016” as well as reaffirming “his full support for the Good Friday Agreement.”

This isn't an international view - he's attempting to hijack the conversation and make it personal - when it isn't.

In this case I disagree with you. Biden is a real man that isn't afraid to express his feelings. His openness about his deep grief for his son and his  sincere compassion for the pain of others was one reason that he was elected. I see no problem with expressing his feelings for Ireland. Its in character.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Biden, who has talked about the importance of his Irish heritage, warned months ago as the Democratic candidate for the presidency that the UK must honor the 1998 agreement as it withdraws from the bloc or there can be no separate U.S. trade deal.

That doesn't come across as an opinion to me, more of an ultimatum I would have thought.

1 hour ago, 2530Ubon said:

Another plastic paddy who thinks that because one of his ancestors from a long long time ago was from Ireland, he knows about the 'troubles'. I'm very happy he was elected president, but please, don't profess a deep love and understanding for a country you've never lived in.

" His great-great grandfather Patrick Blewitt was born in Ballina, Co Mayo, in 1832. Patrick left Ireland in the autumn of 1850 to settle in America."

The bold patrick blewitt couldn,t have been too impressed with the emerald isle if he had it on his toes.

5 hours ago, Barnabe said:

So house prices have risen 50% since 2015 yet inflation has been around 2%?

One of those graphs is telling a lie...

Houses aren't an everyday purchase. Every year those prices affect only a small minority of the population. Whereas food, transport, services, clothing etc are purchased by almost everyone very often. So housing prices are only figured as a small part of the mix.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In this case I disagree with you. Biden is a real man that isn't afraid to express his feelings. His openness about his deep grief fir his son was one reason that he was elected. I see no problem with expressing his feelings for Ireland. Its in character. 

Whilst I may agree with you on his character as an upstanding chap with morals, I must protest; What feelings?

1850 was the last time his family lived there. If he really cared, he should be independent to achieve meaningful results. Pis+ing off your closest ally and throwing his toys out of the pram isn't going to work. Bojo may indeed be a clown, but he's shown time and time again that he will walk away from trade deals. Who wants American chlorinated chicken anyway.

16 minutes ago, simple1 said:

10% of the US population has an Irish heritage - domestic politics will also be at play. The US has had a long involvement with the Northern Ireland peace process.

Of the top ten family names in the United States (2010), seven have English origins or having possible mixed British Isles heritage, the other three being of Spanish origin. Being British in America isn't seen as desirable anymore. In the 1990's 26.34% of Americans confessed to having English roots - that's now down to 0.06%. The facts are that there are more English Americans than there are Irish, however it's always the plastic paddy's / straw scots / incredibly NOT italian americans that boast their 'heritage'. This proves that they don't really care or understand anything about these 'homeland' contries - they just do what's fashionable. Typical American flashy style.

• Like 1