Foreigners stranded in Thailand due to COVID-19 can now stay until at least 29 Jan 2021

rooster59

1 minute ago, ezzra said:

Probably will work for all kind of visas as long as you want to stay, if questions ask, you'r stranded, no need for further explanations...

Yes, there are reports in the visa section that show people on retirement / visiting family / thai wife extensions who switched over to this 60 day extension. What is criminal though, is that Ubon IO seems to be the only one charging 3,900 per extension. All of the other offices are reporting the usual 1,900 baht fee. I wonder why they are doing this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

What about those that are not genuinely stranded, just electing to stay..

In fact, I did meet one of these not genuinely stranded at immigration recently, she wrote 'it is not safe to go back' on her application form to extend her tourist visa. 

But she told me she is teaching English online on a tourist visa in Thailand, go figure.

This is the real purpose, earning money while living on low cost of living.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

This means that those affected could potentially stay in Thailand until the end of March if they applied for a new 60 day extension on or near January 29th.

According to the translation, the extension can be up to 60 days, but not past January 29, 2021.

Due to the continuity of the Coronavirus 2019 or COVID-19 outbreak in countries around the world, affecting the departure from the Kingdom and the stay in the Kingdom among foreigners, it is considered to extend the duration of stay as per the letter until 29 January 2021.

(Emphasis added)

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

What about those that are not genuinely stranded, just electing to stay..

I don't see anything in immigration's letter that it is only for stranded people, this is only in Thaivisa's thread title.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, offset said:

I think most tourist can go home I do not think a home country can refuse entry, but most do not want to do quarantine

But there are some foreigners who can't go home (except for repat. flights) because there are no commercial flights right now. 

Plus repat. flights to most countries are quite/very expensive, maybe not enough funds.

Edited by scorecard

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I don't see anything in immigration's letter that it is only for stranded people, this is only in Thaivisa's topic title.

2nd paragraph

The order basically says "due to coronavirus affecting the departure from the kingdom"

That is stranded

Edited by Peterw42

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The order says "due to coronavirus affecting the departure from the kingdom"

That is stranded

That is one interpretation of it.

Somebody who is stranded is obviously affected, that's correct. But there are other groups of people who are affected as well, but who aren't stranded.

Maybe I'm just afraid to fly back home due to the pandemic going on there, then it's also affecting my departure from the kingdom, even though I'm not actually stranded.

If immigration would only want people to got this extension who are actually stranded they would demand proof that somebody is actually stranded. That they don't demand such proof shows that it's not limited to stranded people.

Edited by jackdd

I dont have any problem with people choosing to stay, claiming they are stranded etc when they are not. If you can stay, knock yourself out.

'

BUT" eventually it may lead to the shutdown of extensions for genuinely stranded tourists.

If the Thai government realises that they are providing extensions for people who can get home, or new tourist arrivals are starting to claim stranded status, I can see a situation where they will shut it down.

Most immigration measures come about as a response to the system being abused, bogus income letters, agents lending funds, 27 back to back tourist visa's etc etc.

Again, I dont care less how people are staying in Thailand, but dont be surprised if it gets shut down because to many non- stranded tourists are staying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2530Ubon said:

Yes, there are reports in the visa section that show people on retirement / visiting family / thai wife extensions who switched over to this 60 day extension. What is criminal though, is that Ubon IO seems to be the only one charging 3,900 per extension. All of the other offices are reporting the usual 1,900 baht fee. I wonder why they are doing this.

They probably are not "Buddhists" but "Christians".

They need some extra cash to buy Christmas presents which they will hand over to lonely farangs, walking around Udon.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That is one interpretation of it.

Somebody who is stranded is obviously affected, that's correct. But there are other groups of people who are affected as well, but who aren't stranded.

Maybe I'm just afraid to fly back home due to the pandemic going on there, then it's also affecting my departure from the kingdom, even though I'm not actually stranded.

If immigration would only want people to got this extension who are actually stranded they would demand proof that somebody is actually stranded. That they don't demand such proof shows that it's not limited to stranded people.

Wasnt that the whole idea of getting a letter from embassy ?

This next round of extensions they haven't actually clarified what will be required to stay.

58 minutes ago, loong said:

The article refers to 'stranded foreigners'.

The order does not. So it is not a necessity to be 'stranded'.

The order says in paragraph 3, "corona virus affecting departure from the kingdom"

Edited by Peterw42

I have a friend, arrives next week on a TR visa, quarantine, insurance etc.

His plan is, after the TR expires , is to say he is stranded and stay indefinitely.

I dont have a problem with this plan, I do worry that when immigration starts to notice 500 arrivals and only 400 departures, 100 stranded extension.

They will start to question the extensions

Version:Dec, 2020 If you cannot view this E-NEWS, please click here.
pic01_001.jpg

pic01_005.jpg

pic01_003.gif Taiwan Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) launched the "Fall-winter COVID-19 Prevention Program"

Starting from 1 December, 2020 (local time at the place of departure), travelers arriving at airports in Taiwan or transit passengers at airports in Taiwan, regardless of nationality (Taiwanese nationals or foreign nationals) or travel purpose (studies, work, diplomatic or official business, or others), are all required to present a certificate of a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test result issued within three days (working days) of boarding before they are allowed to board their flight to Taiwan. Please click here for more information.

I got the above from EVA last week, makes travelling through Taiwan all the more difficult now. 

28 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have a friend, arrives next week on a TR visa, quarantine, insurance etc.

His plan is, after the TR expires , is to say he is stranded and stay indefinitely.

I dont have a problem with this plan, I do worry that when immigration starts to notice 500 arrivals and only 400 departures, 100 stranded extension.

They will start to question the extensions

I have the feeling that in the meantime every foreigner in the country is important. I am just waiting that they say "Please don't fly back because we need your spendings here". 

• Like 1