Selling Price Higher than Advertised Price or Shelf Price

Why is the selling prices higher, in many cases, than the supermarket shelf price or the advertised price? Today, I went to a supermarket, the shelf price said buy 2 get 1 free, but when I go to pay, I get charged for all 3? I ask, why, they say shelf price is wrong. I ask to buy at the shelf price, they say no, pay for all 3. At another supermarket, the price for a melon is displayed, and when I go to the cashier, the cash register rings up a larger amount. I complain to the cashier and manager, and the manager goes and checks the shelf price. Returns and says, shelf price wrong, I must pay the higher price.

Also, at popular websites for cars like www.one2car.com, prices are advertised for a vehicle. However when you go to the dealer, the price on the internet is the amount that must be financed through the dealer. Using the minimum payment term, and the payment amount, the total cost of the vehicle increases 150,000 baht or more. In one case, the vehicle was advertised for 549,000 but based on the financing over 48 months, one has to pay a total of 721,000 baht, or 172,000 baht over the advertised price. The cash price of the vehicle is 599,000 baht, but that was never advertised on the website. I do understand that the dealer gets a kickback or commission, from the finance company.

For me, when an item is offered by a seller at a price, and the offer is accepted by the buyer, the sale should concluded at the offered price. This is the way the all stock markets work, and most commercial transactions in the western world. Why not in Thailand?

Edited by Banana7

In the case of supermarket prices being wrong and the 2 for 1 no longer being honoured, it is usually a case that a special price / promotion has ended and the signage on the shelf has not been changed. Sure, it might be disappointing that the lower price / promotion is no longer available but it's hardly the end of the world or worth getting angry over.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Usually the only reason why i buy three of something is because it's a sale like buy 2 get 1. So if I'm at the cashier and discover that the sale is no longer valid (to be fair, often it's actually stated somewhere in small letters on the sale sign until which date it applies, but who reads the small print...), i just tell them that i want either just one or none at all, then they can take the stuff back and might then also remove the sign.

Consumer protection/service in Thailand can obviously not be compared to consumer protection/service in western countries.

21 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Or put a sign up: 50% discount.

Thais just love it. 

Great price.

Big discount.

Cheap.

Must buy.

They never check the price in the first place.

Could be an item that's worth 100baht, increased to 220baht and 50% discount.

Now at an absolute bargain of 110 baht .

QUICKKKKK

And not to mention, they increase the price and then offer a discount which is back to the original price, seen this in many places.

• Like 2

Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware) is always good advice. Whenever there is a price dispute when I KNOW I'M RIGHT, I call for the manager. If he does not make good on their pricing, I let him know directly what I think of it. And I am sure to tell him I will post online, tell every person I meet, and stand outside his door and tell others about their dishonest ways. I have NEVER seen them go and change the shelf sticker. They know what they do and I leave my groceries at the check out counter and walk out. By the way, I've no reason to believe that the meat or dairy products I leave on the counter are returned to the fridge before they go bad. I'm VERY careful about what I buy and don't want food poisoning. I insist that I smell every meat product I buy!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Always check your receipt afterwards. At Tops I often got such items that had the wrong price for free. But in the meantime they seem to have stopped this behavior. Now you can cancel the purchase of such items only and you get your money back. 

3 hours ago, ehs818 said:

Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware) is always good advice. Whenever there is a price dispute when I KNOW I'M RIGHT, I call for the manager. If he does not make good on their pricing, I let him know directly what I think of it. And I am sure to tell him I will post online, tell every person I meet, and stand outside his door and tell others about their dishonest ways. I have NEVER seen them go and change the shelf sticker. They know what they do and I leave my groceries at the check out counter and walk out. By the way, I've no reason to believe that the meat or dairy products I leave on the counter are returned to the fridge before they go bad. I'm VERY careful about what I buy and don't want food poisoning. I insist that I smell every meat product I buy!

I really hope you dont shop in the same stores as me.

Sticking your Hooter into a prime Steak before buying it (or not ) really is disgusting.

And if the product is not to you exacting standards is replaced for some innocent person to buy covered in your Germs.

" Caveat Emptor " indeed if you have just left a Store.

Yuk !!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I wanted to buy pack of cheese , I asked the price they said they have to weigh it ,I said how much per kilo they said they had to see how many kilo it was ,  so not know price for kilo  not know price for pack ,  also orange juice 80 baht for 1 or 165 for  pack of 2

• Haha 2

On 12/9/2020 at 2:25 PM, Banana7 said:

For me, when an item is offered by a seller at a price, and the offer is accepted by the buyer, the sale should concluded at the offered price. This is the way the all stock markets work, and most commercial transactions in the western world. Why not in Thailand?

Not in the US, baby. Sticker price plus federal, state and local taxes. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 8:25 AM, Banana7 said:

Why is the selling prices higher, in many cases, than the supermarket shelf price or the advertised price? Today, I went to a supermarket, the shelf price said buy 2 get 1 free, but when I go to pay, I get charged for all 3? I ask, why, they say shelf price is wrong. I ask to buy at the shelf price, they say no, pay for all 3. At another supermarket, the price for a melon is displayed, and when I go to the cashier, the cash register rings up a larger amount. I complain to the cashier and manager, and the manager goes and checks the shelf price. Returns and says, shelf price wrong, I must pay the higher price.

The bargain signs, like buy 2 get 1 free, will normally have a period printed, from date-to date printed, or just the end-date, so do other "price cut" and "sale" signs, often yellow or red price tags. If the price tags on the shelf hasn't been changed after end-date, the cash register shows another price.

It happens – I've learned to check end-dates – and you normally need to pay the price by cash register. However, if I've checked a sales-signs and cash register shows the "before" price, I will kindly say that walk down a take the sign, which I do, and show to the cashier. I always get the "right price"; some times someone "important" is called, but I get the correctly advertised price...????

19 hours ago, mstevens said:

In the case of supermarket prices being wrong and the 2 for 1 no longer being honoured, it is usually a case that a special price / promotion has ended and the signage on the shelf has not been changed. Sure, it might be disappointing that the lower price / promotion is no longer available but it's hardly the end of the world or worth getting angry over.

So someone being paid but not doing his job correctly

and this costing your money, but ''mai pen lai'' ?

33 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The bargain signs, like buy 2 get 1 free, will normally have a period printed, from date-to date printed, or just the end-date, so do other "price cut" and "sale" signs, often yellow or red price tags. If the price tags on the shelf hasn't been changed after end-date, the cash register shows another price.

It happens – I've learned to check end-dates – and you normally need to pay the price by cash register. However, if I've checked a sales-signs and cash register shows the "before" price, I will kindly say that walk down a take the sign, which I do, and show to the cashier. I always get the "right price"; some times someone "important" is called, but I get the correctly advertised price...????

What happens when there is no date on the sticker?

Does the customer has to do a research to know if the promotion

has ended ot not before to buy? How does it work?

Few days ago there was a promotion at Big C on a product

100 bhts instead of 150. i take it and as usual i check my ticket receipt

i was charged 150 bhats for the product. In Big C you can not deal with the cashier

so go to the customer desk, wait my turn, i point the mistake, ''wait sir please''

they send someone in the shop, the girl is back sorry the price is 150 bahts

there was a promotion but it's finished now.

Me ''ok no problem you can keep the product and give me back my 150 bhts''

i have my money back, but not even a ''sorry sir'' and i was not happy at all

for all the lost of time. And it's not the first time this sh...t happens

Few minutes later i was in the shop to double check the price because i like to be sure of what happened and of course one employee was busy to remove the stickers with 100 bhts instead of 150.

Honestly  in this country they don't know how to work, or someone, knowing very few people check their receipts, is making nice money with it, because curiously enough the ''mistake'' is ALWAYS to the benefit of the shop

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

What happens when there is no date on the sticker?

Does the customer has to do a research to know if the promotion

has ended ot not before to buy? How does it work?

I've so far never seen a promotion-sticker without an end-date on in BigC, HomoPro, Makro or Tesco-Lotus.

As I said in the post you are replying to, and as your reply also indicates, someone forgot to remove the promotion sticker; and yes, it seems to happen little too often for us Westerners' temper.

If I buy promotions, I always check the price on the display when it's scanned, and if it "buy 1 get 1 free", then the summed total shall change to a lower price, when the cash transactions finish; the free might item, and some times the discount, might be deducted at last.

I Thailand it seems to be the customer's fault – i.e. my fault – if I take an item after a promotion end date and expect to pay the price shown on the sticker; in many of our home countries goods shall be sold to the shown price, if the shown price is not an obvious mistake. I presume this amazing difference ends up under "same-same but different"...????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Not in the US, baby. Sticker price plus federal, state and local taxes. 

No. Under the Sale of Goods Act when a seller like a supermarket offers goods for sale at a price that is an invitation to treat. The sale contract is made at the checkout and you the buyer can offer whatever amount you like. If it is accepted then there is a sales contract.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Susco said:

Exactly, every yellow price tag in Big C has a start and end date in small print in the bottom right corner

Damn i need to go with my glasses next time, and maybe even with a magnifying glass

i have already difficulties to read the price on most of these very small stickers

that's one of the problems coming with the old age

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

As I said in the post you are replying to, and as your reply also indicates, someone forgot to remove the promotion sticker; and yes, it seems to happen little too often for us Westerners' temper.

Yes you are right, and as i said they NEVER forget to change the price at the cash register

when the promotion end, that's why i think someone at a high level is making good money

with 0 risks with these ''oversight''  on the promotion stickers

Edited by kingofthemountain

9 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Damn i need to go with my glasses next time, and maybe even with a magnifying glass

i have already difficulties to read the price on most of these very small stickers

that's one of the problems coming with the old age

I was wrong, and it is actually top right corner, but at the same time here is another example of how Big C promotions work.????

image.png.98fa8f9ccf8e9d6061de7c3780943f2f.png

image.thumb.jpeg.f9294e5711231c54ef01cef5c2160e4d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7b21af018475a608a45f1d6739a62911.jpeg

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes you are right, and as i said they NEVER forget to change the price at the cash register

when the promotion end, that's why i think someone at a high level is making good money

with 0 risks with these ''oversight''  on the promotion stickers

A cash register in chain-stores is a terminal hooked up to a huge database network, and when the system date change, so do the prices automatically on goods running out of promotions. It's not someone trying to cheat on you.

You might have noticed that some times a shop assistant walks around with a handheld scanner device with a display and is checking price tags; checking that the "normal" price tags are showing the correct price in the data system.

????

• Like 2

On 12/9/2020 at 7:25 AM, Banana7 said:

Also, at popular websites for cars like www.one2car.com, prices are advertised for a vehicle. However when you go to the dealer, the price on the internet is the amount that must be financed through the dealer. Using the minimum payment term, and the payment amount, the total cost of the vehicle increases 150,000 baht or more. In one case, the vehicle was advertised for 549,000 but based on the financing over 48 months, one has to pay a total of 721,000 baht, or 172,000 baht over the advertised price. The cash price of the vehicle is 599,000 baht, but that was never advertised on the website. I do understand that the dealer gets a kickback or commission, from the finance company.

Its a quaint little idiosyncrasy of the los,like the farang paying double on the baht buses,and the two tier pricing for locals and farangs at attractions.this would be construed as racism in the west and illegal,also the above mentioned pricing in shops would also be illegal,but as you,re a guest In a third world country with albeit first world prices you,ve just got to suck on it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1