Why hold on to the old Pattaya nightlife scene when the new emerging one looks so good?

webfact

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

I know Thai's own most of the land / buildings here.  A lot of it is "old money."  That investment was made long ago.  Why would a Thai buy into Pattaya in 2021?

For me, I saw the change here about 18 months ago.  That's why I started a thread on this forum. 

What changes do you see? 

The change is Covid, and who is going to survive and what plans they going to make for the future. Those with old money is still those who is richest in this country. Red districts will it always be, but if it will go back to how it was? Only time will show. 

What do you think will bring more money than a punter who complain about beer prices, and short time is to expensive and travel alone, than a family who is willing to use money? 

What I have seen lately, is Thais enter typical tourist places and hotels where it almost solely was foreingers before. It happens in Hua Hin and in Pattaya as many other places. 

And last, many of those who owns bars, restaurants and guest houses already passed retirement age long time ago, burned out their last reserves? Who is going to replace them the next years. I do not believe there is enough falangs left or enough falangs who is going to take over those places in near future. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

I agree, Pattaya will never die, with the stipulation that the sex trade is allowed to continue here.  If the sex trade was to cease in Pattaya, it's game over.

It would have to change, but it most certainly would not die. The Thai families currently swarming here every weekend are not pursuing that side of Pattaya, but the beach, the dining, the attractions, what Prachuap Khiri Khan does not have. They will still be here. You omit to consider the size of Bangkok and how horrid it is!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pravda said:

Hey, thanks for that. I was just sitting and wondering where I could see some chicks with d1x and you delivered! 

Not there you won't. Currently closed but never had what you seek either. Popular large draft beer, 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Pattaya's existing businesses and hotels will not survive without an influx of foreign tourists on vacation who are free on weekdays as well as weekends

Those that appeal to domestic tourists, perhaps in addition to foreign, will survive and are currently doing so.

Similarly, as reputations die hard, young women from Isaan will continue to flock to Pattaya having heard tales of high incomes for poorly educated females, or because their families have heard and will pressure the young women to go there.

No, that reputation has already died and is pretty much staying dead for the time being.

Caught in a time warp with rotary phones, you seem unaware we now live in an age of social media and mobiles. Young women up in Isaan know better what's going on in Pattaya and where than you do. They left, most of their friends left, and they keep in touch w/ those remaining and spread the news. In fact I sometimes ask one remaining, "When's that lovely Miss Lek returning? I miss her!" "She want come but I told her, no customer now."

those investors will cater to what they think works in Pattaya, which is beer bars and agogos

No, much more works in Pattaya as well and oftentimes better in the new economy. Exactly how well the businesses of the old economy will continue to succeed remains to be seen. 

• Like 2

On 12/16/2020 at 5:16 AM, Yahooka said:

As Pattaya`s biggest tourist attraction,Walking Street will return to life again,count on that.

I have no doubt that Walking street wil lsurvive but I do not think it will be the sex center that it was.  Thise businesses were already crying about lack of customers before COVID.

I think it will survive but it will be a more family friendly location.  

• Like 1

I think it is safe to say the "Old Pattaya" has been on a steady downhill path for many, many years now. Sure, there was still plenty of action prior to the plague, but the quality was way down, and the prices up. The kinds of punters who used to come here in droves ten years ago, just do not seem to be coming anymore. And likely for a dozen good reasons.Pattaya was a different world back then, and the same goes for Samui and Phuket. So, what it is going to look like a year from now, two years from now, or five years from now, is anyone's guess.

But, I would presume if the establishments can figure out a way to appeal to domestic Thai tourists, they will have a clientele. That leaves out alot of businesses in "the zone", as the locals seem to have little interest in what is on offer there. The more substantial bars and restaurants, with substance like good food, drink and entertainment, will likely emerge in better shape than the others, who cannot figure out a way to "dance on their feet", and adapt. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kinyara said:

Could I ask what family friendly is and how that is different to what Pattaya curently offers. I see Jomtien beach pretty much rammed every weekend with Thai families, what are  they missing out on? 

Right, and thanks for checking out one of the listed venues  and on the topic: The newer places that are attracting Thais and speculation that they will emerge to crossover / foreigners venues also. Not. I did a search on that place in the boat hotel. It looked great for Thais on a contained weekend: good food, Thai music, near beach. But cannot imagine foreigners in that environment.

On 12/14/2020 at 11:08 PM, Lacessit said:

I might have been interested in Pattaya ten years ago, but not now. IMO there would be a lot of older retirees here that could not give a toss either.

Even if they all looked like this, which they probably don't.

thaihoneys.jpg

I hope the guy in the baby blue fake chuck taylors has a thick wallet, hes gonna need it....

As per the title why hold on to an old grandpa, when there is a new farang arriving everyday! :)..or was....

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It would seem easier, considering the current infrastructure, to leave the current place where it is, maybe rename it, and build a fancy new venue someplace nearby. Let's face it, most of the buildings in daylight Pattaya are decrepit to the point of a bulldozer being the only solution. The senior citizens won't mind that. 

Old & busted: Fix Pattaya--the right way

New hotness: Level Pattaya completely. YEAH.

Unfortunately, the ace TVF Pattaya Urban Planning Bureau has had zero results after decades of issuing peremptory mandates and requirements that, if fulfilled, would ensure Pattaya's prosperity. These range from fixing potholes to banning traffic to moving all shopping malls to Jomtien where as many shoppers would find them as found the failed complex near Soi Welcome. Royal Garden could remain if the food court were restored to 1990s spendor.

The Authorities stupidly failed to listen as they always do, no matter our magical thinking.

Now, you see, it's beyond hope. The best minds of the Bureau have determined that the only solution is for the city to be leveled and started anew. (I dare not link to the members' posts.)

Presumably this would mean a reproduction of 1995 Pattaya but with

• no flooding, potholes, power outages, traffic, above-ground cables, or pollution of any kind,
  • more tin roof beer bars in the old mall locations,
  • wide shaded promenade with plenty of padded benches where mongers might drink, gawk, grope, and pickup ho's,
  • well-kept green spaces everywhere with outdoor exercise equipment and concealing bushes for a quickie,
  • a wide, pristine beach shaded everywhere with old growth trees.

Others may demand a return to the Pattaya of 1960 before it can be deemed satisfactory.

Now in fact 1995 Pattaya already had plenty of decrepit buildings and those were, and still are, beloved as part of its charm. It's amazing what one of those decrepit buildings now costs. We ain't bulldozing any of them unless we have the money & plan for a replacement that's going to pay for itself---eventually. Currently they're useful for our decrepit and vacant buildings counters and the PPPC (Pattaya Proctological Photography Club) here on the forum to evidence the Death Spiral.

Edited by BigStar

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think it is safe to say the "Old Pattaya" has been on a steady downhill path for many, many years now. Sure, there was still plenty of action prior to the plague, but the quality was way down, and the prices up. The kinds of punters who used to come here in droves ten years ago, just do not seem to be coming anymore. And likely for a dozen good reasons.Pattaya was a different world back then, and the same goes for Samui and Phuket. So, what it is going to look like a year from now, two years from now, or five years from now, is anyone's guess.

But, I would presume if the establishments can figure out a way to appeal to domestic Thai tourists, they will have a clientele. That leaves out alot of businesses in "the zone", as the locals seem to have little interest in what is on offer there. The more substantial bars and restaurants, with substance like good food, drink and entertainment, will likely emerge in better shape than the others, who cannot figure out a way to "dance on their feet", and adapt. 

When Covid finishes a lot of the Thais coming to Pattaya at weekends will do what they did pre-Covid: go abroad, be it Korea, Japan, Europe, Australia, USA, wherever. This will particularly affect those higher end hotels so they will revert back to catering to Chinese, Indians, Koreans and Europeans. Nothing lasts forever and 12 months from now let's hope things are close to some normalcy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, morrobay said:

Right, and thanks for checking out one of the listed venues  and on the topic: The newer places that are attracting Thais and speculation that they will emerge to crossover / foreigners venues also. Not. I did a search on that place in the boat hotel. It looked great for Thais on a contained weekend: good food, Thai music, near beach. But cannot imagine foreigners in that environment.

The article, to be fair, did mention some venues with current crossover appeal and admittedly indulged in mere speculation about the others.

However, both you and the OP are really referring only to Western tourists without even being aware of any others, though they now form the majority of foreign tourists to Pattaya.

So then, would these new gentrified venues appeal to Russian, Asian, even Indian tourists? Hard to imagine, either, since we hold only silly, stereotypical bigoted views of these groups. But recognizing the broad range tourists within the latter groups, and their numbers, I think it's quite possible. There--I dared say it! ???? I guess there's some question, though, whether these venues can last long enough for the return of all the international tourists. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kinyara said:

Last night I tried out one of the shiny new venues referred to in the original article. The Wizard Bar. Regarding crossover of clientele, apparently something lacking in Pattaya compared to Bangkok according to our yuppie friend, I was the only foreigner in the place. How do they not know? 

Um, well, it's a bit early, innit? You didn't go during a holiday when most of the Thais are in town. And plenty of purely farang venues may have no foreigners in them either, nowadays. "Foreigners" should also include the non-Western tourists.

So, wait and see. They may all fail before international tourism even opens back up anyway.  

17 minutes ago, champers said:

When Covid finishes a lot of the Thais coming to Pattaya at weekends will do what they did pre-Covid: go abroad, be it Korea, Japan, Europe, Australia, USA, wherever. This will particularly affect those higher end hotels so they will revert back to catering to Chinese, Indians, Koreans and Europeans. Nothing lasts forever and 12 months from now let's hope things are close to some normalcy.

Looks like the weekend Thais have already booked to Korea: What a difference a weekend made 

IMG_20201219_103934.jpg

IMG_20201219_103541.jpg

19 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Looks like the weekend Thais have already booked to Korea: What a difference a weekend made 

IMG_20201219_103934.jpg

IMG_20201219_103541.jpg

I look out at that exact stretch of beach in your first photo.  I'm looking at it now.  Not a lick of shade on the beach.  No Thais, either.   However, there were Thais on the beach early this morning sitting in the shade cast by Holiday Inn and several of the other highrises.   When the shade left, so did they.  Wisely.  They will be back in the early evening when the sun goes down.  

6 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

I hope the guy in the baby blue fake chuck taylors has a thick wallet, hes gonna need it....

As per the title why hold on to an old grandpa, when there is a new farang arriving everyday! :)..or was....

Only Blue Trainers I can see in pic are on a service/waitress lady.   Definitely wearing a skirt if its a guy. 

Hey Ho maybe Im missing something.  Sad I feel need to mention.

More serious note ... less western farangs in future. More Chineese will love it ... and take over.  Air fares long haul gonna go up Im guessing too.

Pattaya fame gonna grow even more on internet,  in a country where huge shortage in girls.  Thailand is on Chinas doorstep. 

Just guessing / saying. ☺

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Now, you see, it's beyond hope. The best minds of the Bureau have determined that the only solution is for the city to be leveled and started anew. (I dare not link to the members' posts.)

I was kinda thinking leave the old place there as a monger only heaven. I am okay until that dodgy looking ceiling comes down on me as the MP lady goes down..... ok, stop that here. 

25 minutes ago, newnative said:

I look out at that exact stretch of beach in your first photo.  I'm looking at it now.  Not a lick of shade on the beach.  No Thais, either.   However, there were Thais on the beach early this morning sitting in the shade cast by Holiday Inn and several of the other highrises.   When the shade left, so did they.  Wisely.  They will be back in the early evening when the sun goes down.  

It was one of my main questions when i seen the Pattaya Beach work done and end with 

this very large and useless space of sand.

Did the Thais in charge of this project didn't know Thai people didn't stay on a beach without any shade

assuming the sun is hiting hard from  early morning to the late afternoon? 

Even the foreigns tourists can not stand long in this heat.

What they had in mind with this beach size when they planned this project? Any idea ?

Does the cost was by sqm, then the usual % of $ filling the pockets of the usual suspects

was depending on that too ?