COVID-19 in Samut Sakhon: Hunt on for two Myanmar workers - people not wearing masks face 20k THB fines

webfact

11 hours ago, anchadian said:

Deputy provincial police chief Pol Col Phatpakorn Chanprasert ordered all people in the province to wear masks when out of doors or face fines of 20,000 baht under regulations to cover the spread of the virus. 

Will never happen to Thais.  What a ridiculous comment to make.

However, put a set of cross-hairs on the backs of foreigners in the area and draw a bulls-eye.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, internationalism said:

In theory those bluewish face masks are also PM2.5, but because they are flimsy there are always some holes. So would partially protect from viruses, bacteria, but not smog. There was no smog on Thursday, because of earlier rainfall. There was smog for several days before Wednesday.

I think the masks are designed to capture droplets upon which the virus is attached.

Edited by Derek B
Reduced quoted text.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Sounds like a right racket.

just yesterday in the big smog i counted about 50 Thais on one road without masks. 50x20,000 is a million baht on one street alone out of how many???

the government are definitely on to a winner here ????

In the big village near me in rural Kamphaeng Phet more than 50% of the people don't wear a mask unless they are going to 7/11 or the bank. I wear one most of the time when I am out and about but not in the car or around the house.

In KPP about 90% do wear masks, though at BigC yesterday there was nobody checking temperature or any other checks.

Makro OTOH, does have security doing temperature checks.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text

It's quite funny isn't it, everytime one of these lot pops up with a statement to make they always look the same..... One guess where the governor and his family hail from...... Er....... begins with "C"........ See the picture forming ?     I wonder if they're still eating dogs up there, it's a hard habit to break coming from the old country......... 

Edited by SupermarineS6B

Hunting Burmese, 20K fines for not wearing masks; how ****** is policing and law enforcement here!

Last night an M6 pupil at my school was killed, driving a motorcycle after drinking at a friend's 18th birthday party. Yes it was his own fault. Yes he had been drinking. If there was any, any, effective proactive routine policing the chances are he wouldn't have done it. As it is an 18 year old is dead, a family is devastated, and his friends are hurting. And all these buffoons can do is ponce about stroking there pathetic priapic egos with these ridiculous anouncements.

Sorry to rant. It really boils my <deleted> sometimes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Oops! Hope the kids are ok.

My comments only apply to the town. Out in the sticks where we live no one's worn a mask for many months. I was at a large gathering last Friday of at least 300 plus catering and entertainment staff. Not a mask anywhere.

Kids were damn lucky, jumped off before it went over, not a scratch.  Luckily the m/c got jammed up in a palm tree at the side saving it from a further 3 meter drop to the khlong floor.  It too survived without a scratch.  very lucky all round.

Yes in our nearest town the only masks seen are around 7/11 and Tesco because they were banning entry without for a while.  The contact log and temp checker's desk has been deserted and gathering dust for months and now even the staff dont wear masks. 

I am worried there might be a hell of a shock coming soon.

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Oops! Hope the kids are ok.

My comments only apply to the town. Out in the sticks where we live no one's worn a mask for many months. I was at a large gathering last Friday of at least 300 plus catering and entertainment staff. Not a mask anywhere.

went to a weddign party a few weeks ago in Kanchanaburi - 300 people crammed under a marquee - not a mask either. Masking only seems to be a thing in large cities - in particular, shops. Even photos from a local international school on their facebook page show many students participating in activities unmasked (which is still against government guidelines). 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

So he's spreading fake news?

I've searched a bit, can't find anything re: laws/rules/punishments/fines for mandatory masks.

Yes, certain places can require masks for entry/use.

Pretty sure that a government official can not spread fake news that would be an oxymoron. They might get miss quoted. ????

21 hours ago, anchadian said:

I like your comment but always think 'total bollllox!' is the best way to describe such tat.

When tools in power carry on like this - and I hate to say it - it chucks me a little bit toward the conspiracist, new world order side of the equation. Let's have everyone wearing masks everywhere for all time lest some poor fwit catches a F cold! Stop using this horrible disease as an excuse to further your agenda/political career.

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sounds like paranoid xenophobia to me. There us absolutely no evidence in this story that these devious Myanmar deviants eve actually have the virus !

Paranoid xenophobia started on 23rd March 2020 and it is'nt ending anytime soon.

IMHO Thailand will not open to mass tourism any time soon, the overly paranoic approach to Covid-19 is way too deep in thais mindset. 

If they much such a fuss about two guys with Covid-19(in a country of 68 millions?), only God knows the level of paranoia and fear, when borders will be open, which, undoubtely, will lead to a surge in new infections. 

This Government has used the pandemic in a brilliant way, for their benefit, of course. 

They look strong in the eyes of many thais, but, most important, they can control them using Covid-19 pandemic. 

Edited by drenddy

12 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Nothing in the entire TV article mentions the relevance of the 2 Myanmar workers. The Daily News source is in Thai - anybody care to scan that and see if the information's there?

those 2 were illegal workers employed by her - so in very close contact, like family. From 16 tested there were family and workers, not clients, neighbours.

They were not her customers, as one article stated (to cover the truth), as she had hundreds clients daily.

Most probably it's herself, who told them to run away and don't come back, before visa sorted.

This town has a large Burmese population, legal and illegal workers/slaves

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2020 at 7:38 AM, anchadian said:

Deputy provincial police chief Pol Col Phatpakorn Chanprasert ordered all people in the province to wear masks when out of doors or face fines of 20,000 baht under regulations to cover the spread of the virus. 

Don't worry, they will only impose fines on all the "dirty farangs" ????