Thailand reports 382 new COVID-19 cases

webfact

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

This is the full story initially posted with no links (underlinded). Where does it say 14 yet to be confirmed. New cases plus 8 imported.

Thai health officials on Monday confirmed 382 new COVID-19 cases.

Of the new cases, 360 were local transmissions, linked to the outbreak in Samut Sakhon, while 8 were imported from overseas.

It doesn't.  But it does not need to.

Nowhere does the article say that ALL of the 382 new cases were accounted for by the local transmissions and the imports.  You are confusing yourself in thinking that the figures given must add up to the total when this is simply not true. 

There are 360 local transmissions, 14 imported and a total of 382 confirmed new cases - a total that INCLUDES the 360 and 14 but is in no way necessarily comprised purely of those two.

Clear enough for you now?

PHthe

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, John Drake said:

You would rather rely on the government?

There are many sources for good info.  Sadly, the ones from many governments aren't to be trusted.  But from what I can tell, Thailand is doing OK with regards to this.  Admitting up front they are under counting.  At least they admit this.

• Haha 1

This is the time for swift, decisive action so there's at least a possibility this outbreak does not get out of hand.

1) Close schools!

2) Close bars & pubs, maybe restaurants, too

3) No interprovincial travel. Stop planes, trains, buses.

4) No countdown parties or other gatherings

If these are implemented, maybe we can limit this. The time for complacency is OVER!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, John Drake said:

So, when do they start welding people into their condos?

Or you could weld the diseased into all the empty condos around the country for sale and then tell them if they buy one they get a free vaccine and set free ! ????

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, than said:

In order to prevent the arrival of a more virulent strain of the virus, the Thai authorities should also follow the example of the countries of the European Union and prohibit the access of the kingdom to the English citizen

There are no English citizens. British citizens (which includes Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland citizens) have been prohibited but the fast spread in Germany, France Netherlands and Italy suggests they have it already. The UK govt has stated that the new strain is NOT more virulent and more people tested have proved to be asymptomatic than before - it does infect more rapidly though. The vaccine effectiveness is not likely to be affected. The French travel ban is only initially for 48 hours and only applies to ferries and Eurotunnel - the other bans only apply to flights and freight flights are not affected. Yet.

I wouldn't advise the Thai authorities take a lot of notice of what the EU/UK does - their record to date hasn't exactly been dazzling.

The new strain has been detected in the UK largely because the UK does nearly 50% of the genome sequencing in the world, so best blame them. Bit like calling the 1918 pandemic the Spanish Flu when it is now believed to have originated in Kansas City..

Update at 1053

BBC reports "France has said it plans to reach an EU agreement to allow traffic to and from the UK to resume.

"In the next few hours, at European level, we're going to establish a solid health protocol to ensure that movement from the UK can resume," Transport Minister Jean-Baptiste Djebbari said on Monday.

Edited by mrfill
update
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Phulublub said:

It doesn't.  But it does not need to.

Nowhere does the article say that ALL of the 382 new cases were accounted for by the local transmissions and the imports.  You are confusing yourself in thinking that the figures given must add up to the total when this is simply not true. 

There are 360 local transmissions, 14 imported and a total of 382 confirmed new cases - a total that INCLUDES the 360 and 14 but is in no way necessarily comprised purely of those two.

Clear enough for you now?

PHthe

Clear as mud. Nevermind it will be more tomorrow.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, vandeventer said:

It's bound to hit us hard one day,  that's why we need the vaccines today not 6 months from now.

It's said that the vaccine won't stop transmission and at best it may help the severity of the infection only so basically useless unless you have comorbidity's or >75 . Add the fact that they are saying there is another strain, does that mean that the 'unicorn vaccine' is no good just like the flu shot for the following year? 

The only solution I can see is to face it head on just like Sweden and let herd immunity take it's course. 

• Like 1

This is 382 out of 70,000,000

At it's current RO.........I would say you are fine if you are in Laos.

Sometimes I'm around THOUSANDS of people....it's gotta be the same odds as a car accident. or is it???  

If there is ONE case 100 km from me.....I will start to really, really worry

If there's an accident 10 m from me, I don't even think twice about it.....not contagious, I don't think at least.... maybe it is. lol

6 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

It’s only in Samut Sakhon so nothing to worry about 

No it's not. As I've written in other threads today, there's also been a reported infection in Mae Ai, and several people have been placed in isolation in the soi I live in, in CM Province. They are all connected to the woman who travelled by bus from Mae Ai to Ayutthaya, so absolutely no connection to Samut Sakhon.

its been obvious to anyone who isn't simple that some countries have been massaging their figures for some time. One thing for certain is that if they are stating 382 then its a lot higher. If they have the new highly contagious strain then it will soon be everywhere. Good luck to you all and a very merry Christmas ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, than said:

In order to prevent the arrival of a more virulent strain of the virus, the Thai authorities should also follow the example of the countries of the European Union and prohibit the access of the kingdom to the English citizen

Thai borders have been closed since last April there are no direct passenger flights from UK to Thailand since then except a few repatriation flights of Thai Nationals operated by Thai Airways on behalf Thai Government. Till this day the situation remains the same. Covid however knows no borders and will appear until vaccination programme implemented even with borders closed 

7 hours ago, vandeventer said:

It's bound to hit us hard one day,  that's why we need the vaccines today not 6 months from now.

Just to bad that Pfizer, Moderna and astrazeneca combined can produce only 2-3 billion doses in 2021 according to their own estimates. 

The world need minimum 12 billion doses to achieve herd immunity. 

So we're a long way from herd immunity unless we want the Chinese or Russian version. 

Many of us are going to wait a long time before we can get a shot. 

9 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

It’s only in Samut Sakhon so nothing to worry about 

You really believe that? Don’t let your guard down and it shows up at your front door. They don’t have any idea of this spread. Do you know how many workers came into the country lately? Do you know where they went for work? Let me know if that all they report in your area. 

5 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

This is the time for swift, decisive action so there's at least a possibility this outbreak does not get out of hand.

1) Close schools!

2) Close bars & pubs, maybe restaurants, too

3) No interprovincial travel. Stop planes, trains, buses.

4) No countdown parties or other gatherings

If these are implemented, maybe we can limit this. The time for complacency is OVER!

You could have just said 'lockdown'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

The minister believes there is only a slight chance of finding more infections related to the recently confirmed cases.

This is from the minister Prayut sent to the aera to sort it out yesterday god help you now ????

I saw earlier its now around 800 

5 hours ago, mrfill said:

The new strain has been detected in the UK largely because the UK does nearly 50% of the genome sequencing in the world, so best blame them. Bit like calling the 1918 pandemic the Spanish Flu when it is now believed to have originated in Kansas City..

Great points, sorry UK it appears that no good deed goes unpunished. I would just correct that the Spanish flu is thought to have originated from China.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/1/140123-spanish-flu-1918-china-origins-pandemic-science-health/#:~:text=1918 Flu Pandemic That Killed 50 Million Originated in China%2C Historians Say&text=Patients lie in an influenza,France%2C during World War I.

• Like 2