We are taking domestic flights within Thailand and worried about potential lockdown.

advancebooking

A few days prior to new yrs eve we are taking 2 domestic flights (transiting out of Suvarnabhumi) and heading down the the islands in the south of Thailand and plan to fly back 3rd Jan. 

I recently read that the gov't announced that there will not be a national lockdown. But TIT and anything could happen. Surely the government is not going to do anything stupid and announce from 1st Jan there's a lockdown leaving holiday makers in a pickle? 

Im nervous about proceeding with this holiday but must think positively that the amazing leaders will not make illogical decisions. 

What do you think?

At the moment in Phuket they are not letting any Burmese on or off the island, The airport remains open.

The chance you take is if they close everything down again, the last time I met many people stranded here and also people who lived in Phuket couldn't get back on the island.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

A few days prior to new yrs eve we are taking 2 domestic flights (transiting out of Suvarnabhumi) and heading down the the islands in the south of Thailand and plan to fly back 3rd Jan. 

I recently read that the gov't announced that there will not be a national lockdown. But TIT and anything could happen. Surely the government is not going to do anything stupid and announce from 1st Jan there's a lockdown leaving holiday makers in a pickle? 

Im nervous about proceeding with this holiday but must think positively that the amazing leaders will not make illogical decisions. 

What do you think?

Go elsewhere that's still on the mainland, Krabi / Khao Lak for example.

2 hours ago, advancebooking said:

What do you think?

I am in the same situation as you. I am sticking with my travel plans but there are no guarantees. I must say the username advancebooking is quite appropriate for your post.

I've cancelled out of a holiday in Hua Hin.

If I can't get back to Chiang Rai, and am forced to stay in Hua Hin for a couple of months, that could put a serious dent in the wallet.

Bismarck once said never believe anything in politics until it is officially denied.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:
4 hours ago, advancebooking said:

What do you think?

God who knows what will happen.

I would not go anywhere.

Sound advice. It appears that some members were unaware that the Thai government did not enact or enforce any national lockdown earlier this year. It was left to Provincial governors to decide what steps were appropriate and, as the clusters popped up left right and center, the provinces all fell into line within maybe 10 days of each other. IIRC, the airlines were the first to drastically reduce services but buses and trains continued with stringent boarding health checks.

If I was foolish enough to have an extended domestic flight itinerary over the next 30 days that didn't have a viable road or rail backup, I would cancel those plans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

they said there won't be lock down for many months, for a minimum 2 months, i.e. March - that, if infection is steady some 100 per day.

personally, I would not travel by air plane because of crowded spaces in the airports and on the plane itself. 

I would cancel those flights and went to a seaside in the East.

Even jomtien beach is pretty empty. 

Koh Larn is opposite Pattaya.

If you fancy Koh Samet is 1h further away.

Yes, as it's new year, might be some people not scared of holidaying, but there are many small and remote hotels.

Also in the south weather is not clear yet,  might be still raining. Yesterday it was even drizzling in bangkok 

On 12/26/2020 at 7:11 AM, advancebooking said:

What do you think?

I think vacations should be forgotten for now,not worth the trouble...... enjoy ur home, family....

• Like 1

It's not so much what the government will do it's more a case of what the provincial governors will do, they can decide at the drop of a hat to lockdown their respective provinces.

Our province of Chonburi for example is looking likely to have some curbs imposed due to Rayong turning red earlier, I never go anywhere at this time of year anyway, far too dangerous on the roads same as Songkran.

My advice would be to stay at home or locally to be on the safe side. ????

I was considering holidays down South, but since this recent outbreak have dropped all plans: 1) lockdowns could well come into effect at a moments notice, and 2) I'd rather remain home and keep my interaction with other people to the bare minimum.

• Like 1

Was flying out of Hua Hin Air Asia today destination Chiang Mia but didn't take the flight for the 3 of us, lost 14000 baht as the flight was not cancelled. Better to be safe than sorry being stuck up there. Very disappointed that the Samut Songran episode kicked off.  The only thing that has <Cheesed> me off is that you cannot cancel the flight and at least get the insurance and tax back.

Edited by JimmyGreaves

41 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Imagine being stuck on Samui for 2 months...that alone should tell you not to go

I'm doing just that.  Only it is for 3 mo to avoid the CM burn season.   2bdm detached sm house right at the beach about $500 USD/mo. Can't wait.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 11:26 AM, bkk6060 said:

God who knows what will happen.

I would not go anywhere.

Further, the whole situation is not good and quickly getting worse, they should react quickly and stop everybody moving around, regardless of holidays.  

What do you think?

If you're nervous about it, don't do it.

As for the amazing leaders - most amazing leaders around the world have made illogical decisions throughout 2020, and seems they're planning to continue in 2021...

• Sad 1

What do you think?

To avoid the Problem Stay Healthy ,Stay Home .  ????

4 hours ago, internationalism said:

they said there won't be lock down for many months, for a minimum 2 months,

In the UK, in the space of less than a week, they said people could have a half-decent Christmas holiday, then rolled that back for a one-day event on Christmas Day ONLY with the bulk of the country then dropping into stricter controls on Boxing day.

Admittedly, that's due to a highly infectious new mutation but since another one has since been identified in South Africa and this Samut Sakhon infection has taken off like a bottle rocket compared with the original 'first wave' Lumpini boxing stadium one last March, I have some nagging concerns.

• Haha 1

Unless canceled I am sticking to my travel plans from DMK to HKT over New Year's. My guess is eating in Tesco Food Courts or hanging around crowded areas in Bangkok is more dangerous than going through an airport that'll largely be empty, wearing masks on a plane and then sticking to outdoor dining and our hotel room in Phuket. Furthermore with so many cancellations Phuket may very well be safer than Bangkok anyway. If I got locked down in Phuket it's not ideal but I could live with it for a while.

• Like 1

Read a FB article posted by Barrows 

URGENT: Did you take the Thai Lion Air flight SL826 from Don Mueang airport to Trang at 6:05pm on Monday 21 December? If you were in rows 19-23 you are in a high risk group due to a passenger who has #COVID19. Please contact Trang Hospital on 075-201500. Other passengers should stay home until 4 January and observe their symptoms #Thailand

• Haha 1

What do you think?

After new year anything could happen, however over the new year to the 3rd a lock-down woukd be out of the ordinary, I actually have Thai friends from Bkk who are now south in Koh Tao and going to Samui, returning on 2nd

4 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Read a FB article posted by Barrows 

URGENT: Did you take the Thai Lion Air flight SL826 from Don Mueang airport to Trang at 6:05pm on Monday 21 December? If you were in rows 19-23 you are in a high risk group due to a passenger who has #COVID19. Please contact Trang Hospital on 075-201500. Other passengers should stay home until 4 January and observe their symptoms #Thailand

At any time, in any place there could be someone with Covid that is not detected for various reasons. A few rows in one plane is hardly the only place where Covid exists right now whether people know it or not. It's best to be vigilant at all times until vaccines and herd immunity is here. Alerts like this ironically give people a false sense of security that the dangers is discreetly contained and only those few people are in danger.

What do you think?

We were supposed to heading up north on the 30th for a week. 
I cancelled out of fear of exactly the reason you say, I don’t want to get stuck up there for potentially months. 
Along with this new outbreak of covid, there is a fair chance that it could be a huge super spreader event.

Especially with the new mutated British strain. most likely place to pick up that one IMO is an airport. No reported cases of it yet, but once it is reported, it is too late.

17 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

I'm doing just that.  Only it is for 3 mo to avoid the CM burn season.   2bdm detached sm house right at the beach about $500 USD/mo. Can't wait.

Why would you live somewhere that you couldn't stay in for 3 months of the year. Jan - Mar are the best 3 months in Pattaya.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 1:28 AM, SoNowWhat said:

Maybe do your part and stay home to prevent the spread if the virus? Simple logic always prevails when in doubt. 

Yes, and people should shut down their businesses to keep ppl safe. That way they can go live under bridge when they become homeless. We know the virus only likes small businesses & people who live in houses.