Thailand to get 2m doses of vaccine from Feb: Anutin

snoop1130

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

17 US$ per dose is the official purchase price from the undisclosed supplier. I hope that in this case a whistleblower will disclose, how much the manufacturer will actually be paid. I have a strange feeling, that companies may have been set up, with the only purpose to make unusually rich people even more rich.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Is US$17 the cost to the govt and then free to Thai folks?

Or, is US$17 paid by each Thai citizen?

US$17 is the purchase price [supposedly] the cost of getting one will be somewhat more I expect.

13 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

The German/American Pfizer BioNTech vaccine needs -70°c refrigeration. 

The American Moderna vaccine uses standard refrigeration and can be stored at room temperature for up to 12 hours during administration.

That's not quite accurate. It's true that the Pfizer-BioNtech vaccine needs -70°C but Moderna's requires in the first instance (and for long term storage) -20°C. It can only be stored at normal refrigerator temperatures for a relatively short period, as the article below from The Scientist explains:

While Pfizer’s vaccine must be stored at –70 °C, Moderna’s can be kept at –20 °C. Moderna also said today that once thawed, its vaccine can remain stable for a month at 2–8 °C. 

Moderna vaccine

Of the current front-runners, it's only the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine that can be stored indefinitely at normal refrigerator temperatures.

17 hours ago, internationalism said:

$17 per shot is quite much

Of course it's expensive, very expensive in fact, but think of all the savings they'll make by using their Lunar spaceship for distribution! ????

16 hours ago, Petey11 said:

My understanding was that all vaccines were going to be provided at cost, ie. Manufacturers do not make profit but cover expenses. They only variable should be transportation costs.

No, it's only the case that some of the vaccines (Oxford-AstraZeneca being one) will be provided on a non-profit basis.

Others like Pfizer-BioNtech and Moderna have stated they fully intend to make a profit from their products.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

This could possibly be a procurement of some Vaccine other than the Oxford one, but ant an inflated price due to the urgency

It can only be a vaccine other than the Oxford one, as they have promised it will cost no more than £3 per dose, no matter where in the world it is being supplied to.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

No, it's only the case that some of the vaccines (Oxford-AstraZeneca being one) will be provided on a non-profit basis.

Others like Pfizer-BioNtech and Moderna have stated they fully intend to make a profit from their products.

Which one would you choose, if you had a choice? If the first one doesn't work, they could say you got it for nicks so don't complain. And the other two could say we did it in record braking time and are profit was small so don't complain. Heads you loose, tails you loose.

The oxford vaccine is costing £3 that's around 120 baht plus transport but it does not need to be at -70 so transport cost would be minimal. This $17 they ate talking about is profit to try get the money they paid out back and for loss of any tax people were paying when they were working. Or maybe it's to buy new carpets but what ever the cost it should be given  free not just in Thailand but the whole world what is the point if only half the countries get. And 2 million doses that's only 1 million people out of 67 million it does make you think what they are doing or even talking about they should not hive small worthless promises to the people knowing that it will never be enough

• Like 2

The manufacturer of the COVID-19 in Thailand is probably a car mechanic shop or a restaurant somewhere in Isaan expanding their skills. 
It could also be some of the yaba producers in the deep jungle around the golden triangle they struck a deal with. 
Who knows what is going on behind closed doors in flip flop land. 

Edited by GeilGeilertzen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

Oh! Really?

I was telling them not judging them.

One would hope that financial gain does not come into the equation.

The cynic in me says that some will look to gain, and not just in LOS.

Wartime profiteering. 

• Like 1

"For Britain, where hospitals are overwhelmed by a deluge of cases of a new, more contagious variant of the virus, the decision by its drug regulator offered some hope of a reprieve. The health service is preparing to soon vaccinate a million people per week at makeshift sites in soccer stadiums and racecourses.

The Oxford-AstraZeneca shot is poised to become the world’s dominant form of inoculation. At $3 to $4 a dose, it is a fraction of the cost of some other vaccines. And it can be shipped and stored at normal refrigeration temperatures for six months, rather than in the ultracold freezers required by rival vaccines from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, making it easier to administer to people in poorer and harder-to-reach parts of the world.

When given in two, full-strength doses, AstraZeneca’s vaccine showed 62 percent efficacy in clinical trials — considerably lower than the roughly 95 percent efficacy achieved by Pfizer and Moderna’s shots. For reasons scientists don’t yet understand, AstraZeneca’s vaccine showed 90 percent efficacy in a smaller group of volunteers who were given a half-strength initial dose."

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Petey11 said:

My understanding was that all vaccines were going to be provided at cost, ie. Manufacturers do not make profit but cover expenses. They only variable should be transportation costs. And if they've gone for the American one initially needs to be stored at -70°c,choc dee with transporting that to outlying provinces.

Astrazeneca agreed and were happily to provide at cost to the British NHS for all our country..... but not anyone else overseas

• Like 1

At $17 there's plenty of pocket money left for the generals, if it's not the Moderna vaccine. However, they will be ordering rather small amounts.

A Belgian minister was so publish the prices for the EU on Twitter.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/18/belgian-minister-accidentally-tweets-eus-covid-vaccine-price-list

This is the list of what the EU is paying:

• Oxford/AstraZeneca: €1.78 (£1.61).

• Johnson & Johnson: $8.50 (£6.30).

• Sanofi/GSK: €7.56.

• Pfizer/BioNTech: €12.

• CureVac: €10.

• Moderna: $18.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Phaser said:

I will gladly pay a premium for the US/German vaccine in Feb before I have to make a trip back to CA. Not taking the Chinese or Russian vaccine even if free

The Chinese authorities have already proven how irresponsible and untrustworthy they are so one would have to be quite foolish to trust their vaccine. So, I'll practice safe-distancing until either the British or U.S./German vaccine becomes available.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's not quite accurate. It's true that the Pfizer-BioNtech vaccine needs -70°C but Moderna's requires in the first instance (and for long term storage) -20°C. It can only be stored at normal refrigerator temperatures for a relatively short period, as the article below from The Scientist explains:

Moderna vaccine

Of the current front-runners, it's only the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine that can be stored indefinitely at normal refrigerator temperatures.

I got my information from here;

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/12/27/moderna-or-pfizer-which-company-stands-to-gain-the/

"Moderna's vaccine can be transported and stored at standard refrigerator temperatures. It even can be left at room temperature for up to 12 hours. Pfizer's requires ultra-low temperatures, so countries and healthcare systems that want to provide Pfizer's vaccine must invest in special freezers."

I suppose it's written that way because -20c is within operating parameters for a standard home freezer. 

In any case, it's great news that Thai health care workers will be provided with something earlier than May/June.

Edited by ftpjtm
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Tap water won't sanitize anything alone.  And for sure it's not 100% drinkable.  You know the source right?  That big polluted river than runs through the middle of town.  The delivery system is a bunch of poorly maintained pipes.

Actually I do know the source and that many regard it suspect but it is treated to international standards and tested cleaner than bottled water more than 50 years ago in independent US Embassy tests - both processing and delivery systems are up to international standards (how many countries real time internet reporting at pumping stations throughout the city - this is valid for Bangkok only).  Very few locations are suspect these days but indeed there can be issues in some buildings after it leaves government control.   The public water delivery system has greatly improved in the last few decades.

https://twqonline.mwa.co.th/EN/map.php?type=

Back on topic this purchase seems to represent enough for 1 person in 70 to obtain. 

5 hours ago, elgenon said:

The good news is the Astrazeneca shots only need to be chilled. The bad news is that after two shots the max protection is 70%. So not as effective as the others. 

2 shots @ $17 = a few drinks. Better than paying for a hospital intensive care stay?

70% get immunity the other 30% will get a less virulent antibody reaction to the virus with minimum to no deaths, so in effect a life saver for 100%.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Petey11 said:

My understanding was that all vaccines were going to be provided at cost, ie. Manufacturers do not make profit but cover expenses. They only variable should be transportation costs. And if they've gone for the American one initially needs to be stored at -70°c,choc dee with transporting that to outlying provinces.

Only the Oxford vaccine is being sold at cost price $3 per shot.

The other two, Phizer and Moderna are $25 - 30 per shot and sold at a profit.

20 hours ago, misterjames said:

They ordered 26 million doses of the Oxford vaccine from UK but I speculate the Oxford vaccine will go to the richest people while the poor will probably get some shady Chinese one.

Oxford plan to distribute the vaccine globally at no profit, and at just £3 a shot it's very cost effective. The bottleneck for other countries will be the distribution pipeline, as the UK has the first 100 million doses on pre-order while other nations are not as well prepared.