Free mobile data for users of MorChana tracing app, promises DES minister

webfact

Free mobile data for users of MorChana tracing app, promises DES minister

By THE NATION

800_30fc04dfa26b2ea.jpg?v=1610354736

National Telecom will provide free mobile data to users of the “MorChana” (Doctors Win) app, Digital Economy and Society Minister Buddhipongse Punnakanta said on Monday.

The application, launched on April 10 last year, records the user’s movements in order to track and trace new infections. The app also provides information on the risk of infection in different places, which are marked red, orange, yellow or green, based on exposure to the virus.

“Three mobile services under NT will provide free data when you use the application. They are NT Mobile, TOT Mobile and My [by CAT],” he said, adding that the MorChana app will not store users’ images or personal information like name, phone number, e-mail, address etc.

“In case there is a drop in internet connection, the application will save the user’s location and upload the travel information once connection is available,” he added.

National Telecom is the product of a merger between TOT and CAT Telecom, which was completed on January 7. The company provides new mobile connections under NT Mobile, and also deals with existing TOT and CAT Telecom customers.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401055

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-12

5 minutes ago, Henk Langeweg said:

If it stores your travel info why not wait till you have wifi so preventing the use of a phone provider?

It's quite easy for the service provider to isolate and exclude usage charges for tracing apps. 

This is already done in many other countries.

In much the same way Thailand has ‘social media packages’ whereby for example, customers can pay for 1 GB data usage and limitless Facebook, WhatsApp and Line usage - the service provide can distinguish between different types of data use.

This is a very simple fix. Data used for tracing Apps should never have been changed for the consumer in the first place. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, smedly said:

you still have to turn on "Mobile Data" on the phone which then charges for data used by those apps that are not excluded for charging - I don't use mobile data - it is off on my phone because it very quickly runs down my balance even though I have trawled through all the apps and have turned of "background data" for those apps - it is not straight forward 

I only use my balance for making calls when I need to - I pretty much have wifi access most places I go

I imagine there are very few people who limit their data usage in a similar manner.

There is no perfect solution. Some don’t own a smart phone at all. Some don’t own a phone at all. 

In other countries people are given no choice and have to run tracing apps on their phone at all times and have to have a smart phone. It's harsh, but those are the rules issued by totalitarian states.

Instructing all service providers not to charge for data for those apps is one solution. As is the ‘location upload’ option once someones device has a stable connection (i.e. WiFi). 

Meanwhile, in Thailand these Apps remain voluntary anyway - so if those who want these apps to work for them and receive a warning if they have been anywhere near an area of people of risk they can continue to use them without incurring additional costs. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

I have had this app on my phone or a week or so, mobile data usage shows as 218 KB. Phone still gets me more than through the day, start the day at 100% and 10-20% at 10pm.

Yeah, I"m sure there's a lot of variables; I was just summarizing the hundred or so reviews I scanned. If you are mostly n WiFi then, it seems obvious, mobile data usage may be minimal.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

I have had this app on my phone or a week or so, mobile data usage shows as 218 KB. Phone still gets me more than through the day, start the day at 100% and 10-20% at 10pm.

I installed the app a few days ago and have certainly noticed an increase in battery usage, as for mobile data dtac are doing a offer of 2mgps unlimited 30 days for 120 Bhatt which is reasonable. 

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

One of the main complaints from those who've downloaded it (only about 4.5 m) is that it uses quite a lot of mobile data. The other major complaint is that it uses a lot of battery.

I can only confirm that. I used the MorChana app for 1 month. It used up a staggering 13GB of data, while my strong battery, which normally easily lasts 2 days without recharging, had to be hooked up two or even three times daily. Needless to say that I uninstalled that app again. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

I can only confirm that. I used the MorChana app for 1 month. It used up a staggering 13GB of data, while my strong battery, which normally easily lasts 2 days without recharging, had to be hooked up two or even three times daily. Needless to say that I uninstalled that app again. 

Your experience seems fairly representative, based on reviews and comments on Thai social media.

Most Thai people I know have recommended not using this app unless/until threatened (again) by the "authorities". Or denied access to a facility one absolutely needs to enter. So if, for example, Immigration offices require use of this app., then on it goes (and afterwards, quickly removed).

'MorChana' application users get relief from data usage fee

By THE NATION

800_84de72c81394ae4.jpg?v=1610418487

Mobile operators AIS, True, DTAC, NT (National Telecom Plc) and 3BB will not charge data usage fee for users of the “MorChana” (Doctors Win) application for three months, starting January 11, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) said on Monday.

The move follows discussions the NBTC held with mobile and internet operators to come up with measures to help alleviate people’s financial burden amid the new Covid-19 outbreak, NBTC acting secretary-general Trairat Wiriyasirikul said.

The “MorChana” application, launched on April 10 last year, records users' movements in order to track and trace new infections. The app also provides information on the risk of infection in different places, which are marked red, orange, yellow or green, based on exposure to the virus.

aeb68fiadggbkjgebg8i5.jpg

To promote working from home and reduce the risk of the virus spreading, the NBTC and operators have also come up with more assistance for internet users.

“Users of fixed broadband or home internet would receive free speed adjustment to at least 100/100Mbps for fiber network, and at maximum capacity of non-fiber network [such as xDSL],” said Trairat. “Meanwhile, users of mobile broadband can choose a special package priced at Bt79 per month, which will provide unlimited data at maximum speed of 10Mbps for 30 days.

“The NBTC has also urged all operators to maintain their signal stability to support those who have to work from home, as well as during the registration of the second phase of the government’s ‘Let’s Go Halves’ co-payment shopping campaign,” Trairat added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401088

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-12

• Like 1

I read the Nation article.

How do you get the DTAC 79 baht package I cannot find it on their English website.

Has anyone got it , seems ideal for Mor Chana

Living near a frontier Int roaming very expensive  on DTAC