Unattended Idling Car...Any Danger?

OP, they are all things you could check yourself

All the variables you mention could easily be tested by having a friend hold the fob and you try to drive away. I imagine the results could vary between different car makes and models, and in some instances may even be programable or operate differently if child lock is active etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Take the key fob out of your pocket, get in, try to drive away.

It ain't rocket science

You are right...I thought someone might already know. I could also probably just Google/YouTube it.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Yes, ours works like that, you can get an awful long way before having to turn off the engine.

The question is of course, why would you leave it running, it takes moments to cool down again on re-entering?

I only leave it running if it has to be parked in the blazing sun...and not at crowded public areas. Examples like dashing into Seven or Amazon, while gassing up and going into the mini-mart (yes service stations let you keep it running during fill-ups (most)), or in a secure parking area. I wouldn't leave it on if the errand or meal was going to be longer than 30 minutes. Yes, my air-con is very efficient and even though a black color, cools down the car interior within a few minutes.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 9

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, they are all things you could check yourself

All the variables you mention could easily be tested by having a friend hold the fob and you try to drive away. I imagine the results could vary between different car makes and models, and in some instances may even be programable or operate differently if child lock is active etc.

My Sunday project tomorrow...will report back.

1 minute ago, PGSan said:

What is this technology? 

It means that you can start your engine when you are not in the car. Just press a button on your remote IF your car is equipped with that facility.....

Google will give you a full rundown on the system if you look...

Well once upon a time, the driver got out at a family members home, went inside, left us in the car with the air con on etc. She got may be 30ft away and an alarm went off in the car, she continued into the house and the car stopped. She had the fob in her pocket.

The danger in your scenario, is what happens to the car/driver and anyone around it when it cuts out and the driver has no control and limited braking/steering ability. Dangerous situation if in a city centre I suggest.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Well once upon a time, the driver got out at a family members home, went inside, left us in the car with the air con on etc. She got may be 30ft away and an alarm went off in the car, she continued into the house and the car stopped. She had the fob in her pocket.

The danger in your scenario, is what happens to the car/driver and anyone around it when it cuts out and the driver has no control and limited braking/steering ability. Dangerous situation if in a city centre I suggest.

For just this reason, as someone posted, the car runs until the engine is turned off. However, without the key fob it won't start again. Some of the new "autonomous driving" cars have the ability to safely self park themselves on the road shoulder if they run out of gas/electricity. I wonder if they implement a "self shutdown" if driven off without the key fob present. 

• Like 1

This has happened to my wife and I... 

I drop her off, the key is in her handbag. She gets out of the car and closes the door. 

The car makes a beeping noise, my wife jogs back and gives me the key. 

We’ve tried ‘what would happen if’.. and the car continues to drive. 

We just can’t lock the car if the key fob is not in range and can’t restart the car until the key fob is inside. 

So... theoretically, a thief could drive the car away. 

The ability to ‘continue to be able to drive the car’ is obviously a safety feature - no one would want their car to suddenly turn off while on the expressway or in the middle of a junction etc.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This has happened to my wife and I... 

I drop her off, the key is in her handbag. She gets out of the car and closes the door. 

The car makes a beeping noise, my wife jogs back and gives me the key. 

We’ve tried ‘what would happen if’.. and the car continues to drive. 

We just can’t lock the car if the key fob is not in range and can’t restart the car until the key fob is inside. 

So... theoretically, a thief could drive the car away. 

The ability to ‘continue to be able to drive the car’ is obviously a safety feature - no one would want their car to suddenly turn off while on the expressway or in the middle of a junction etc.

And modern day thieves know this so unless they want to strip the car for parts, it's not much use to them (other than a joy ride).

• Like 1

So how does it work when thieves can get close to peoples front door and using a laptop scan the key fob usually placed inside near the door. There are plenty of online cctv vids of thieves stealing high value cars this way.

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Remote start wasn't invented so you can leave a car idling and unoccupied while you get yourself a frothy coffee or go for a pish. That's just ignorance.

Why was it invented then...to make a vehicle more comfortable upon entry (and maybe to test for any bombs attached to it) yes; I don't see much difference between this and just leaving it running for a short period to keep the interior cool, especially in a climate like Thailand's. 

Most all pump stations want you to turn off your engine when filling up; same as back home. Taking advantage of Thailand's attitude of falang rue-mahk and their not telling you to switch it off is just more ignorance.

Wouldn't it be falang mai rue-mahk? Again, not really concerned as it keeps me comfy and don't have to stop & start the car.

Emissions are 0% when the engine is turned off. Claiming that modern technology equates with negligible emissions when idling is even more ignorance.

I'll stand by my statement that pollutants from a modern ICE vehicle are negligible when idling. 

Want to help cut air pollution? You might need to keep your engine on... https://theconversation.com/want-to-help-cut-air-pollution-you-might-need-to-keep-your-engine-on-116704

Have I mentioned ignorance?

Yes...several times.

• Sad 3

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe they should?

OK, that endangers people with a higher IQ than the 'I must keep my car cool while I go shopping' crowd. I am all for an interlock with the pressure (weight) detector in the car drivers seat that is already integral to the seat belt warning lights and 'bong' sounds. If a munter gets out of the car, leaving it running for more than 30 seconds, it simply turns the engine off.

Subsequent engine start is then disabled for... oh, let's say 30 minutes?

I also for the ‘pressure (weight) detector’ to be utilise to ensure passengers in the rear seats use their seatbelts. 

I can only suspect the car manufacturers do not do this as its a cost thing and no insisted upon by NCAP etc (I know, slightly off-topic). 

Auto-turn off - if no one is in the passenger seat is a good idea. It can’t be too difficult to tie that into the existing  ‘stop start function’ and existing seat-pressure system. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Farma said:

So how does it work when thieves can get close to peoples front door and using a laptop scan the key fob usually placed inside near the door. There are plenty of online cctv vids of thieves stealing high value cars this way.

If I’m not mistaken, the key fob and vehicle are in some form of ‘constant communication’.

The thieves have a device (scanner of sorts) which can pick up the communication between the key-fob and vehicle and ‘clone’ the key fob signal (all to technical for me to understand). 

One of the ways to prevent this is to leave the key’s in a ‘tin box’ over night *(which acts as a faraday cage and prevents communication with the key fob so it can’t be cloned)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If I’m not mistaken, the key fob and vehicle are in some form of ‘constant communication’.

The thieves have a device (scanner of sorts) which can pick up the communication between the key-fob and vehicle and ‘clone’ the key fob signal (all to technical for me to understand). 

One of the ways to prevent this is to leave the key’s in a ‘tin box’ over night *(which acts as a faraday cage and prevents communication with the key fob so it can’t be cloned)

Which makes me think an opportunist thief could easily clone Pattaya Spotters running car and drive off. It wasn't all that long ago thieves were doing the same with scanners, easily bought over the web, in shopping centre car parks.