Thailand hasn't bought Pfizer or Moderna jabs, says doctor after deaths in Norway

webfact

Just now, jonclark said:

All you need to know about why competing vaccines are being negatively portrayed and questioned while the Chinese vaccine is not being as scrutinized as much.

"Sinovac Biotech made headlines in early December 2020 when it secured US$515 million in funding for production of the vaccine from China-based Sino Biopharmaceutical Ltd, a subsidiary of the Charoen Pokphand (CP) Group."

If you wish to know more about the people behind CP group and their place in the echelon's of Thailand fixed social hierarchy. Google it. They are pretty high up.

Edited by jonclark
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Thailand apparently cant wrap their noggins around this. 

I believe they are both considerably more expensive and more likely the reason Thailand will exclude them 

Hasn't there been some very dodgy incidents with  Sinovac from China, trials in S America halted etc, and who is using the Chinese Vaccine so that data can be equally scrutinised or is it only being used in China

Is there anyone here who would not have problems with a vaccine from China - maybe they will sell it on Lazada as AstraZeneca lol

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, smedly said:

I believe they are both considerably more expensive and more likely the reason Thailand will exclude them 

They can include and exclude whatever they want if they're talking about governmental mass vaccination programs for their people. But they should still approve the other ones (all of them) for private hospitals to be able to purchase and sell to people who may prefer to pay for a different vaccine. 

No reason they haven't approved any of these at this point for the private sector. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, smedly said:

There is a cost difference. The sinovac is 10 dollars a shot and needs two shots.  Astrazeneca is between 4 -6 dollars a shot and needs two shots. The Russian sputnik is 10 dollars a shot and also need two shots. Modern a is the most expensive at about 35 dollars .

Edited by jonclark
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

But will they be approved and available at private hospitals? 

I would think it highly unlikely.  The Thai FDA would need to approve use of the product in Thailand.  It does not appear that anyone is seeking such approval based on the safety concerns outlined in the article (ps no judgement from me as to whether the mRNA tech is safe or not)

4 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Good decision by the Thais to wait, use other countries as guinea pigs to test these rushed through vaccines and see how it panned out before giving it to Thai people.

As the old saying goes, no flies on the Thais.

They already committed to buy from the big brother China the Sinovac shots that have returned the poorest test result, barely passing the minimal 50% effectiveness to get approval. 

Putting trust in it bcos the highly trustworthy generalissimo and co. telling it so...

Thank you, but no, thank you!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andyfez said:

23 deaths is hardly a large statistic when 23 million doses have been given worldwide so far

Literally one in a million.

3 hours ago, Andyfez said:

23 deaths is hardly a large statistic when 23 million doses have been given worldwide so far

Literally one in a million.

One report says they were all over 80 and terminally ill.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tingtong said:

They already committed to buy from the big brother China the Sinovac shots that have returned the poorest test result, barely passing the minimal 50% effectiveness to get approval. 

Putting trust in it bcos the highly trustworthy generalissimo and co. telling it so...

Thank you, but no, thank you!!

This doesn't mean they will ever be used, it was a hedge.

They did well to secure a huge number of the AstraZeneca vaccines and this will pay dividends for years to come.

6 hours ago, Olav Seglem said:

Im norwegian and follow norwegian tv news on tv daily.

Have not heard ANYTHING AT ALL about any norwegian dying after getting any kind of vaccine.....

Nor me on any international TV news channel or seen any news online about it. If anyone has please post a link. My Thai girlfriend has seen it on TNN Thai news but surely it would be reported in the West 1st.

8 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Good decision by the Thais to wait, use other countries as guinea pigs to test these rushed through vaccines and see how it panned out before giving it to Thai people.

As the old saying goes, no flies on the Thais.

I just wonder if you took Steven100's place or if you even are the same person. As he miricaliously vanished...

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Deli said:

I just wonder if you took Steven100's place or if you even are the same person. As he miricaliously vanished...

A few have said the same thing. 

I looked him up. Can’t say I agree with most of what Steve100 posted. He was pro Prayut. 

I am a Thanatorn orange sort of bloke, quite anti Prayut, the same as the 82% of Thais who didn’t vote for Prayuts party in the last election. 

I think Steve was a bit of a parody.

I don’t like Prayut, but I am not going to say that the thai governement has done a bad job on covid, or that I care Anutin had a go at the farangs for refusing masks because most of the members here want to believe that, mostly because Anutin had a go.

Water off a ducks back for me and I agree with Anutin on that issue. 

i think that is the basis for the accusation that I am Steve which is just weird, and not good for my ego. 
It appears Steve also could not speak or read Thai. I doubt if he has been in Thailand nanleow, I am just a village farang in Natai.

Sorry, different people, with very different political preferences. I don’t even think Steve could have been serious, he was just winding you up. Nobody could actually really believe a lot of what he posted. It was a bit tongue in cheek I think.

9 hours ago, timendres said:

Precisely. The mRNA approach is very new and, to my mind, a very big leap. I do expect that over time mRNA will prove to be a positive advancement in medicine, but I am certainly not interested in being at the front of the line in terms of testing it.

But the Oxford/AstraZenica jab is also mRNA too. mRNA vaccines are not new. The first successful attempt at using mRNA to transport information into cells was done in 1989 and as part of vaccines in the early 1990s. 

What you may be referring to is that pharma companies did not pursue mRNA vaccines all the way to full licensing, which is very onerous and attracts massive costs because it was vastly uneconomic - basically, the only people who could pay for them, Western Governments or consumers, just did not see the point. They sure as hell do now!

The cases of the very very old frail people in Norway dying after receiving the vaccine is simply a instance where the vaccine ought not be provided to the extremely old frail and extremely ill. Same as with many medications.

The Thai government choice of the Oxford/AstraZenica vaccine most likely has less to do with the cases in Norway and much more to do with two other factors: the cost (the Oxford version costs a fraction of the others) and the fact that it can be stored for months in a normal fridge between 4 and 8 degrees C and does not need to be stored at very extreme cold temperatures.

2 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

But the Oxford/AstraZenica jab is also mRNA too. mRNA vaccines are not new. The first successful attempt at using mRNA to transport information into cells was done in 1989 and as part of vaccines in the early 1990s. 

What you may be referring to is that pharma companies did not pursue mRNA vaccines all the way to full licensing, which is very onerous and attracts massive costs because it was vastly uneconomic - basically, the only people who could pay for them, Western Governments or consumers, just did not see the point. They sure as hell do now!

The cases of the very very old frail people in Norway dying after receiving the vaccine is simply a instance where the vaccine ought not be provided to the extremely old frail and extremely ill. Same as with many medications.

The Thai government choice of the Oxford/AstraZenica vaccine most likely has less to do with the cases in Norway and much more to do with two other factors: the cost (the Oxford version costs a fraction of the others) and the fact that it can be stored for months in a normal fridge between 4 and 8 degrees C and does not need to be stored at very extreme cold temperatures.

No it is not.  It took me 10 seconds on Google to figure that out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Utapaolion23 said:

I've taken the Phiyzer Vaccine and many friends, all over 65. No problems but a Sore arm the same as a Flu Shot. In fact, no one has died in the US from the shot  that Ive heard of. Friends have also taken the Maderna Vaccine with no problems. Suspect big money behind saying <deleted> about them in foreign Lands. Brown Env......

Healthy doctor. 56 years old. Florida. I came across the article while searching for something else. Should have made headlines especially here in Florida where I've been the last 4 months, but it didn't. Wonder why?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/health/covid-vaccine-death.html