Car Insurance Recommendations

DarrenSpencer

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 11:21 PM, DarrenSpencer said:

Please I'm looking for trustworthy and english speaking companies.

I have used AXA 3 years running and the annual premium goes down, not up, I also had a claim and they sorted real quick in the first year.

I go through AA Insurance Brokers here in Thailand for my car, house and private health cover, they found them for me and I paid them nothing, brokers are usually best to serve you as they deal with insurers all the time and can recommend good ones vs picking bad ones.

I did try the above recommended insurer that the TVF members recommended but I found them to be more expensive, I suppose depends on the car make and model ?

AXA paid out real quick and that's what matters to me, albeit that I had to pay the 5,000 baht excess/waiver to the panel beater first which was not an issue for me.

Good luck.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had AXA for the past 7 years but they are reducing the 3rd party coverage on my renewal (due March 14) and I think all the coverages are way too low already.  Per the recommendations above, I just filled out the online form at roojai.com and specified the maximum possible coverage for 3rd party and personal injury.  The quote is only 500B more than my annual policy with AXA.

Question: have any of the people recommending Roojai ever filed a claim with them and what was your experience?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got a good quote for wifes 6 year old Toyota Hilux 4 door auto /turbo.for just over 5 K which compares well against her present company....so must get her to sit for a minute and go for it. Unfortunately my 2 door Chinese LPG pickup is not on the list ..so "sorry can not"... but MPRai.... Also took out their C19 cover about 3 months ago.Again a good price and now have all the paper work..both in English and Thai.

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates? Car, new ute (well new to me but 18 or so years old I think), new to me motorbike and accident insurance all closer than the horizon. Looked at roojai but yet to do the online brokers etc.

All I can say is mrs car class1 insurance will be 13000+ from the Por Lor Bor broker, 7000+ from roojai...

On 3/4/2021 at 12:57 PM, JKfarang said:

Question: have any of the people recommending Roojai ever filed a claim with them and what was your experience?

That is more important than saving a couple of 1000 Bht on the premium. A very interesting question which no-one has yet answered.

• Like 1

Insurance was up for renewal on my 1 yr old MG truck. I asked the wife to phone around and get quotes.

She got 3 quotes, all around 18,000 baht for 1st class.

I went online and filled out the Roojai online form. 8,400 baht. Very happy with that. The online inspection was all very efficient. We paid a small amount upfront and pay the rest 10 months interest free.

I don't have any experience of making a claim with them but I haven't heard any negative reports.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Roojai are cheapest, I've never had a claim so can't comment on how that side of their service is, but I'm more than happy with every aspect of them so far. I just renewed with them for a further 12 months. All done online fast and easy.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Andy1961 said:

I am buying a new Toyota Yaris but the broker I contacted told me no Thai insurer will accept my UK no claims discount.   I have 16 years so a big shame to start from zero.  Does anyone know any different?

I believe a driver's personal claims record does not follow the driver around from insurer to insurer the way it does in some other countries. In my experience, one is charged the standard premium unless one has at-fault claims and renews with the same insurer, in which case the premium may go up. Many people change insurers after the year in which they have a claim in order to avoid premium increases.

On 7/24/2021 at 7:03 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I believe a driver's personal claims record does not follow the driver around from insurer to insurer the way it does in some other countries. In my experience, one is charged the standard premium unless one has at-fault claims and renews with the same insurer, in which case the premium may go up. Many people change insurers after the year in which they have a claim in order to avoid premium increases.

I believe a driver's personal claims record does follow them from a Thai insurer to a Thai insurer, based on changes I have made and one of the questions on the enrollment forms being about claims previously made with previous insurers.  But I'm quite sure they don't take a driver's record in other countries into account.  Besides, insurance in Thailand is well priced so it's hard to complain even if you choose to pay THB 18k at most of the big name insurance companies.

3 hours ago, Thai Dan said:

I believe a driver's personal claims record does follow them from a Thai insurer to a Thai insurer, based on changes I have made and one of the questions on the enrollment forms being about claims previously made with previous insurers.  But I'm quite sure they don't take a driver's record in other countries into account.  Besides, insurance in Thailand is well priced so it's hard to complain even if you choose to pay THB 18k at most of the big name insurance companies.

Are insurers now able to refer to any type of independent database, either at the DLT or OIC, to access an insured's driving or claims records? This was what I had in mind when I made the original post. It wasn't the case in the past, but times change.

Agree that driving records outside of Thailand don't account for anything here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Are insurers now able to refer to any type of independent database, either at the DLT or OIC, to access an insured's driving or claims records? This was what I had in mind when I made the original post. It wasn't the case in the past, but times change.

Agree that driving records outside of Thailand don't account for anything here.

Dunno, to be honest.  Only saw the question on the enrollment forms.  But it did calculate a discount based on that one question, so I would tend to believe they have a way of verifying.  Who knows?  Anyone know an insurance agent with a clue?

Edited by Thai Dan
Added info

3 hours ago, Thai Dan said:

Dunno, to be honest.  Only saw the question on the enrollment forms.  But it did calculate a discount based on that one question, so I would tend to believe they have a way of verifying.  Who knows?  Anyone know an insurance agent with a clue?

Unless things have changed in recent years, the Thai insurance industry is not able to access any DLT or OIC information regarding claims or driving history of individuals or automobiles, if such information even exists in any accessible form. There was talk in the industry some years ago about establishing a database for this purpose, possibly under the supervision of the OIC, but it never got anywhere back then. I'm not sure if this has changed, but I suspect is has not. I'd be happy to be corrected, however.

Self-declaration is ok, but without the ability to confirm with an independent authority, it is weak.

• 5 weeks later...

We have been using big c brokers for 2 years and we have nothing to complain about.

After the first year we received a mail at the mother’s in the village, we made a fund transfer, easily. The price didn’t change from year one to two, the car was bought in 2016.

I pay 8000 per year for a Nissan almera it’s a ชั้น 2+ or something like that( 2nd class +).  I’m insured for 200k for any accident on the road for my car, millions for others car or property, plus fire, plus thief, plus floods.

20 hours ago, Pifo said:

We have been using big c brokers for 2 years and we have nothing to complain about.

After the first year we received a mail at the mother’s in the village, we made a fund transfer, easily. The price didn’t change from year one to two, the car was bought in 2016.

I pay 8000 per year for a Nissan almera it’s a ชั้น 2+ or something like that( 2nd class +).  I’m insured for 200k for any accident on the road for my car, millions for others car or property, plus fire, plus thief, plus floods.

No you are not

We bought a new Toyota truck last year from an insurance company in Bangkok. We got the insurance from the Toyota Dealer and it was around 21,000Thb. I didn't know about Roojai Ins or checking on your phone for a price quote. This year I checked with Roojai on my phone and we just paid around 10,700 THB for basically the same coverage.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/22/2021 at 11:13 PM, Thai Dan said:

A couple that are friends of ours had a recent accident event and the combined cost of repairing her Suzuki car and the other party's Toyota Hybrid ran well over 200k, and they didn't have the car insured.  My wife, upon hearing the details, decided it was a good idea to inform me that her  (my wife's) mother's car insurance ran out some time back and she had not renewed since she is broke due to Covid hitting her income (nobody asked if it hit my income ???? ).  Anyway, since all roads lead to the foreign son in law in cases of "financial distress", I of course insisted that her car be reinsured post haste.  Yes, it will come out of my pocket, but an accident would put the MIL completely out of work and any costs would find their way to me eventually anyway.  So I went shopping for insurance once again.

I tried going with our existing insurance company, insurance companies of friends and neighbors, and then an insurance broker after reading a comment above, which sounded like a really good idea.  MIL's car is 8 years old and I thought I should get 3rd Class + insurance, to make sure the other fellow's car would be repaired, and some coverage for repair of MIL's car as well.  Well, the prices are all over the place and either no company would cover MIL's car if she simply hit a building, wall or other structure, or ran off the road and rolled it, etc., or they would cover a rollover for about 50k max but no structures in a single car event.

Then I went back to Roojai as recommended here on ThaiVisa.  It turns out "Class 1" insurance is still an option for an older car, and covers all of the above and always includes repairs to MIL's car, up to THB 240k!.  And most importantly, it will do that at a cost of about THB 5k, give or take depending on normal factors!  The coverage is large for 3rd party repairs (5 mil) and injuries (1 mil/pp), single car accidents, and always repairs your own car up to the policy value.  The value they put on her car is what I'd call about double its actual resale value, but the cost of the insurance is still so low that I found it almost unbelievable.  Also, you can elect to have a (what we call in the U.S.) deductible (which I did elect in the amount of THB 5k), which further lowers the annual cost of the policy as reflected and included in the above price.

This is great news and saves a ton of money while getting full coverage.

That got me to thinking about what I pay on my own 4 year old truck (about THB 17.5k for 1st Class Insurance).  Yes, I may be ignorant, but I'm learning!  I filled in the Roojai form again with our truck and personal details and it turns out Class 1 insurance with Roojai will only be about THB 4,500/year!  We're switching when our policy comes due later this year.

So, my advice is:  Go to Roojai.com and check it out for yourself.  

Very useful information thanks. for me, i cant go to Roojai, because i am 76. (that's their age upper limit).

• Like 1